Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible future project: Jeep Grand Wagoneer or Volvo 240?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible future project: Jeep Grand Wagoneer or Volvo 240?

In the next few years, I'll be moving to a bigger house with a garage. Room to take on a REAL project. At the moment, these are the two vehicles I'm most interested in. My wife is a big fan of both, and I thought it would be cool for us to have a project we could do together.

For either vehicle, I'd want to do a full cosmetic restoration, and probably swap the engine for something more potent (the original engine may see a rebuild while its out, so the car can be put back to fully restored stock condition eventually.)

I've owned a Volvo before, albeit a more luxurious 940. I loved it. The build quality was superb. For the 240, I'd be cool with either a sedan or a wagon (or a coupe, if I could find one.) My wife's first car was a blue sedan, so that would likely be what we would look for.
    I've never owned a Jeep of any kind, and I've never even been inside a Grand Wagoneer. I've seen them popping up all over the place, though. They're very popular for restoration, and fetch a nice price when they're done well. I see them in movies CONSTANTLY, often as "beaters", though always in pristine condition.

It's just what's been on my mind, so I thought I'd post about it. Comments are welcome. Especially if you've had experience with either vehicle!

That Wagoneer with a 5.7L Hemi swap would be a cool car! Maybe full running gear from a wrecked Durango or Grand Cherokee to get the newer transmission and transfer case.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

volvo.
      COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
        That Wagoneer with a 5.7L Hemi swap would be a cool car! Maybe full running gear from a wrecked Durango or Grand Cherokee to get the newer transmission and transfer case.
        That's pretty much what I was thinking! That thing with about 400hp would be very satisfying to drive, I feel. Since this wouldn't be for quite a few years yet, those things would probably be pretty easy to come by. Hell, I could probably even go Hellcat if I wanted (I don't think I'd want that...)

Comment

Volvo. Start a poll!

Comment

I'm not really looking for anyone to decide which one to get. I'm merely looking to explore and discuss both options. If I could have both, I probably would! Right now, these cars rank highest on my "want to restore" list.

Comment

I know you mentioned V8 motor mounts in another thread, there is a guy that makes billet mounts for an LS in a 240. Now that's a car I'd like to tackle again someday.
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Does he have a company, or is he just a guy that does it for people in the know?
                There used to be a few companies that made mounts for either LS swaps or Ford V8 swaps. All that I was previously aware of no longer make their stuff. I think one of them offers a few random parts for the conversion, but it looks like they're just selling off old stock!

It was actually the thought of finding some of those old mounts and creating a cheap and accurate way to replicate them that inspired the other thread!
                If I get a Volvo, it'll most likely get an LS swap. Cheap, plentiful, well-supported, and reliable as long as you maintain them. Something "cooler" like a 2JZ-GTE or RB26DETT would be awesome... but an LS would be far cheaper to install and maintain, even if I had to fab everything myself!

Comment

http://www.stsmachininginc.com/produ...nt=10348746565

Nice mounts, good price for beefy looking Billet aluminum machined pieces. Looks like jags that run has stopped selling their SBC mount, but it was pretty flimsy looking anyways. There's still a very active enthusiast base for the old Volvos, if you look at turbobricks the place is quite active despite most niche community's activity dying off with facebook being a thing now.

LS swap is really the way to go. With scrap being so low a rotted truck with a 4.8 or 5.3 can be had for around $500. After selling off everything besides the engine you can easily make your money back + some.

Comment

Yeah, Jags That Run was one of the sources i was referring to. I never actually saw any of their products in order to have an opinion. STS looks good, you're right! His typing is atrocious, though. Holy hell, that hurt my brain to read!

Comment

20b Volvo, be cool
                      sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

If only rotaries were easier swaps!

Comment

Not completely on topic but my 88 rx7 with the 13b was pretty dang reliable and I loved making that car scream. It ate up a srt8 300c on a back road it handled fantastic! The main thing with it was mantinace naturally they use water and oil lol so I had to keep a check on that. One other thing was if you didn't get the car up to operating temp it would flood itself and you had to do the procedure to unflood the engine I had to do that three times luckily never fouled the plugs (which are a pain to get to and very large).

All in all id own another 13b, but as to your main topic I'd go Volvo. I've seen some on those panel jeeps fetch a premium in good shape but to me they are ugly.
                          Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 08-26-2016, 04:37 PM.

02 Crv
                          02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                          92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                          Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Had some thoughts earlier about the Volvo mounts. JTR may no longer be making their mounts but you can still buy their book which includes the drawings of the mount. If nothing else the book is worth the 25 bucks for that, otherwise I'd be suspending the 305 in the engine bay to attempt to build my own. Oh did I mention I have a crappy rusty 84 245 and my friends and I have decided to make it a Lemons car?

And once you have SBC mounting points, you are a $35 adapter plate set away from dropping in an LS

Comment

Go for a Volvo Deev!
                              ~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X