Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Official Photography Thread* (56k warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice wheels.

Comment

Not my car. Good wheels, front needs more drop.

I couldn't shoot low from the front b/c sun was right behind the car and there was no light on the front of it.

I typically shoot from a low angle but I like the higher wide angle as well.
      Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Originally posted by HybridKyle View Post
        The first especially, but they all seem to be OOF to me....or lacking sharpness badly. The processing on the last one is pretty cool, but the others just feel overexposed to me.

Nice location, nice position
        All of those were obviously shot on a p&s in an auto setting it looks like. The shutter speeds were too low and the aperture was to open(2.8). Consider trying to find some manual settings on you camera and bump the iso a bit to give high shutter speeds.

1999 Honda Prelude
        Photography Site

Comment

Originally posted by zelseman View Post
          All of those were obviously shot on a p&s in an auto setting it looks like. The shutter speeds were too low and the aperture was to open(2.8). Consider trying to find some manual settings on you camera and bump the iso a bit to give high shutter speeds.
          How can the aperture be too open at 2.8 for a portrait? I'd argue that's a pretty damn good aperture and the camera probably wasn't that high being a point and shoot.

Pictures look a little noisy not sure if bumping the iso would help. Camera might just not be very sharp...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemycb7 View Post
              How can the aperture be too open at 2.8 for a portrait? I'd argue that's a pretty damn good aperture and the camera probably wasn't that high being a point and shoot.

Pictures look a little noisy not sure if bumping the iso would help. Camera might just not be very sharp...
              A wide open aperture will result in a much more narrow depth of field. If you were photographing a single subject or more than one subject of the same focal plane it would be fine, but photographing 2 subjects with space in between them(like some of the posted pics) it creates sharp eyes on one person and out of focus eyes on the other.
              And I would rather have a noisy picture than a blurry picture as a result of a low shutter speed. Noise can be reasonably easy to fix.

1999 Honda Prelude
              Photography Site

Comment

Okay, that's at f/2.8 and iso 100. I agree, iso could go up slightly. But I definitely don't think that the depth of field is affecting the sharpness of their faces. I mean there is barely any bokeh as it is. The ENTIRE picture has some fuzz to it. Granted that was 1/32nd so it might have some cam shake. But shouldn't really... I just think it's the cam and not the settings...

Maybe it's the editing. I can't tell.
                Last edited by ilovemycb7; 08-14-2009, 03:05 PM.

Comment

^^It's the editing man. You way overdid the saturation. Look at his shoes, they are white blobs.

Shooting @ 2.8 with a wide angle and a far focusing distance yields a deeper depth of field than shooting @ 2.8 with a telephoto lens.

Here are some photos from my camping trip to Colorado I took this past week.

Comment

Interesting.

And yeah, that was a copy and paste from the previous guys pictures. I didn't take that... I was just commenting on what you were saying. Kinda confused by your comment.

Comment

Camping pictures are really good. THe first two are great!
                      Where did you camp at?

1999 Honda Prelude
                      Photography Site

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemycb7 View Post
                        Interesting.

And yeah, that was a copy and paste from the previous guys pictures. I didn't take that... I was just commenting on what you were saying. Kinda confused by your comment.
                        This is what happens when I don't follow threads and the next time I look there are 4 new pages. Sorry.

zelseman- we camped off county roads in the Granby area.

Comment

I think I get you zelseman mixed up ALL of the time. I think I tried to continue a different conversation with you accidentily.

Either way... woops.

Comment

Haha, no worries man. Names that start with Z aren't to common.

Comment

If the portraits were taken with a point and shoot camera then an aperture of 2.8 will look different then the same aperture on a dslr with a fast lens. ideally when shooting portraits you would want a fast lens with max aperture of 2.8 or faster and have a telephoto lens. This will put more distance between you and the subject, making them more comfortable instead of being in their face with a camera. The nice flattering bookeh is best achieved when you combine a fast aperture along with a long focal length. You could shoot wide open all day but if its all zoomed out to wide angle you won't get the nice blurred background. Simply zoom all the way in and then move back and frame the shot. As far as iso goes, don't be afraid to crank it up. High iso values are there for a reason, use them. The grain can be removed or converting the image to black and white will give it a nice distinctive look with the grain in there. There are actually plug-ins out there that add grain to photos for that film like look so grain is not all bad. A nice rule I like to follow is to shoot the reverse of the focal length I'm at. So if you're at 50mm, shutter speed should be 1/50 sec. This will get you sharper images and prevent camera shake. If I'm at 1/50sec and under exposed then I turn up the iso until exposure is correct. Ideally I like to shoot my portraits with either a 50mm f1.8 prime or 70-200mm f2.8 shooting at 135mm or longer wide open.
                              The CB9 has been reborn into a CB3
                              Members Ride - see my cb3 here - DOHC powah
                              Check out my JDM F22B swap
                              Watch my CB7 video

Comment

I am using a p&s and it was on auto mode the whole time, I wanted to put it on a manual mode and be able to mess with the settings but my friends and I had other plans that night, so I just left it as is. Im using a Kodak Z1012 IS.

This photo is edited and I didnt even realize how badly it was.

This is the same picture but unedited

My camera does have that face detection thing so when I am about to take a picture it places a square around the spot that it was focusing on, most of the time it was on both of there faces, but I need to look into that more and see exactly how that works.

I'm still trying to grasp everything about my camera so thanks for the advice guys. Oh and what is bookeh?

Comment

Working...
                                X