need a longer O2 sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need a longer O2 sensor

i need to find a Denso or NGK/NTK O2 sensor thats like 6 inches longer than what is normal for the f22a6 downstream sensor.

can i order one for an f22a1/4 where the sensor bung is upstream on the manifold? or is the harness in a different location and the sensor wiring the same so it reaches??

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Cant help you with your question but I have extended 02 sensor wiring in my old ek civic with no issues. Just use the same size wire. If your old sensor is fine you could try that.

Comment

yah i figured i could do something like that for now. sucks i cant do it tonight unless i take off my bumper cover and use ramps. but its already getting dark.

right now i have the O2 sensor plugged in, i just have a CEL.

im hoping tippey will just be like grab one from a 94-97 Legend its longer because... that would be sweet.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Extending the wires could potentially cause a change in resistance. Might be fine, might not be.
        You could always get a new o2 bung installed.

Comment

yah i was thinking it probably would change resistance.

the reason it doesnt fit in the original location is because i had to have it moved to the side before the flex. just got 2.25" after the downpipe flange. all new pipe all the way back.

another idea i had was going to the JY and getting an o2 sensor cutting off the sensor, and cutting off the harness. then soldering those up in the middle making a patch harness. still proably change resistance, but idk. not as hoopty to me as some random wires in there. and they'll be the same guage.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

That's how I'd do it. A little subharness may present the same potential resistance issues as extending the wires, but at least you're not altering anything permanently. If it works, it works. If not, you discard it and you still have complete wiring on the sensor and car harness.
            If you do cut the wires, be sure to cut the sensor's wires, not the car's.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              If you do cut the wires, be sure to cut the sensor's wires, not the car's.
              definately didnt cross my mind to do it any other way.

would this make sence? or is the way i've written it difficult to understand?
              Originally posted by Quashish View Post
              can i order one for an f22a1/4 where the sensor bung is upstream on the manifold? or is the harness in a different location and the sensor wiring the same so it reaches??

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

You might not want to solder the wiring for the 02 sensor, crimp connectors would be better. At least thats what most people say, just a heads up.

Comment

whats the reasoning behind crimp connectors>solder?

that goes against evrything i know. solder and heat shrink tubing.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

I solder most things as well, but I didn't my 02 sensor after searching google and seeing almost everyone says dont solder the 02 sensor wiring. Cant tell you anymore than that.

Comment

hmmmmm

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Just research it or go to google. I would assume the solder could produce a hot spot or could possibly change the resistance since the 02 sensor sends out such a small signal. A crimp would be similar to just using a simple connector plug like the factory. Again I only researched it far enough to know what most people do when I needed to extend my 02 wires. Also they do sell wire extenders like you want to make, at least they did for my 98 civic.

Not saying either way is wrong, just wanted to give you a heads up.

Comment

thanks honestly. i've been reaserching stuff since i started this thread though.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

how do i know if this will work besides calling in person and having some desk monkey tell me yes it will work, only to find out after 2 weeks of shipping delays that it doesnt even clip in?

or is it pointless and probably the same as splicing wires?
                            Last edited by Quashish; 02-24-2013, 03:29 AM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Made my own for $2, no more CEL.
                              Last edited by Quashish; 02-24-2013, 04:12 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X