Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Manual Transmission gas mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    The Pilot also has a 20 gallon tank...

Stop putting 93 in there. You don't need it. Higher octane is not "better". It just burns differently. You could actually be doing damage to your engine, running fuel it wasn't designed for. Run 87 octane. BP is good.
    That is likely the first time I have heard Bp is good, it's at the bottom of my list. When it come to good gas it's shell then everybody else. I have not used she'll in years as there is not one close to me but I would make the drive if I had a car designed for leaded gas or maybe a built motor. Also I did not include in my original post I have a 5 speed.
    Op, has your car been sitting awhile?
    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
      That is likely the first time I have heard Bp is good, it's at the bottom of my list. When it come to good gas it's shell then everybody else. I have not used she'll in years as there is not one close to me but I would make the drive if I had a car designed for leaded gas or maybe a built motor. Also I did not include in my original post I have a 5 speed.
      No, its my daily. I complete at least 18 miles a day. Now yesterday i changed my oil to Mobil 1 performance. I also filled up with 89 octane. But today i went from full to 3/4 of a tank. In my personal opinion, i feel that the 89 octane is burning a bit faster than id like. I will keep counting my miles and try not to use the lead foot.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
        BP is good; ARCO is bad. Brand name gas retailers are usually better then the no name retailers because they're not watered down. What makes the differences between gas retailers is the type of additives they mix within the gas. I personally like 76 and chevron. But any "top tier" gas retailer will do and is a safe bet.

Comment

My LX sedans would get low to mid 30s on the highway at speeds between 55 and 70.

Calculate your fuel economy by dividing the miles driven by the fuel used, not "per tank"; that has all sorts of variability depending on when you actually fill up, variation in pump shut off, etc. Keep a log to keep track of it. The tank capacity is listed as 17 gallons, but only has a usable capacity of about 15.5, maybe 16 gallons. My gas lights typically come on after about 14 gallons have been used.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
            No, its my daily. I complete at least 18 miles a day. Now yesterday i changed my oil to Mobil 1 performance. I also filled up with 89 octane. But today i went from full to 3/4 of a tank. In my personal opinion, i feel that the 89 octane is burning a bit faster than id like. I will keep counting my miles and try not to use the lead foot.
            Mobil 1 is even overkill. No real need for it, though it won't hurt. Keep in mind that if you have any oil leaks beginning, synthetic oil will usually find its way out of the engine before standard oil would.

I use Shell full synthetic in my Fit (which only requires regular oil), but I change it every 10,000 miles. I also drive upwards of 60,000 miles a year. With 339,000 miles on the engine, it seems to be doing quite well!

Originally posted by Grahf View Post
            ...any "top tier" gas retailer will do and is a safe bet.
            That's pretty much it. The low-end stations usually get their deliveries later, and essentially get the "bottom of the tank", which increases the risk of sediment and higher water content (condensation occurs.) The low-end stations usually have older equipment as well, which offers poor filtration in comparison to the big new stations.

BP is quality. Shell, Sunoco, Texaco (do they still exist?), Exxon, Mobil (I still see some, even though I believe they sold out their retail fuel end), Lukoil (bought Mobil), Chevron, Citgo (lower end of the good stuff, but I'd still trust them to a point), and Valero are among the names I'd trust.

In my area, it is becoming common for the larger convenience store chains to expand and offer large fueling stations (up to 16 pumps in places.) Wawa in South Jersey, where I am, and Quick Chek in North Jersey (where I work.) Both have brand new equipment, and buying power in an area that is very close to refineries... so I trust their fuel.

I ONLY run 87 octane in my Fit, and I see 38mpg regularly, with spirited driving. That engine runs 8-12 hours a day, nonstop. I'll go 80mph (4000rpm) on the highway, heavy-footed up the mountains, and stop and go in the cities. I know it's not a CB, so comparing the two is useless... but I AM seeing more than the estimated MPG for the car using the required 87 octane fuel.

Also, keep in mind that your ECU learns. Pull your radio/backup fuse, or simply disconnect your battery for a few minutes. Let the ECU learn 87 octane. After a tank or so, you should see an improvement.

Comment

What do you guys think about Philips 66? I go to them for non-ethanol fuel.

Comment

Working...
              X