lock up will not engage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lock up will not engage

After having trans drop out of fourth gear consistantly, and suddenly.. i replaced the shift and lockup solenoids.
    The transmission will work fine and shift fine to 4th gear IF i dont let off the accelerator. However when i let off, or cruise, the transmission will whine or grind loudly.
    It feels like its searching for the 5th gear or lock up.
    im not an expert, and my terminology is probably off. Sorry.
    i have NO codes from d4 light.
    the d4 light does not light up when in d4 and driving, but it did with my old TCU( which was burnt up)
    it feels like it starts in second, sometimes.
    the tcu is newer, clean, and no leaks or blown resistors or capacitors.
    im searching for where to go next. Torque converter replacement and related parts? Trans?
    all help is appreciated! Thanks

whats the fluid looking like? the magnet on the drain plug? if theres A LOT of debris, id start looking for a new one. got another TCU to try for the hell of it?

Get the factory service manual, theres a trouble shooting flow chart to diagnose things correctly in that jem.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
      whats the fluid looking like? the magnet on the drain plug? if theres A LOT of debris, id start looking for a new one. got another TCU to try for the hell of it?

Get the factory service manual, theres a trouble shooting flow chart to diagnose things correctly in that jem.
      i had the fluid flushed about 5k miles ago trying to get better gas mileage. it is still red, and does not smell. id say its on the darker side of red.
      its been running down the highway in 4th gear since ive had it, now its just falling out of the high gear and searching for it again/ grinding or whining.

ive had it a year, maybe put 15k miles on it total.

im gonna try another tcu, then an ecu as well just for kicks, but have not had time to hit the junk yard yet.

Comment

Originally posted by 90blueCb7 View Post
        i had the fluid flushed about 5k miles ago trying to get better gas mileage. it is still red, and does not smell. id say its on the darker side of red.
        its been running down the highway in 4th gear since ive had it, now its just falling out of the high gear and searching for it again/ grinding or whining.

ive had it a year, maybe put 15k miles on it total.

im gonna try another tcu, then an ecu as well just for kicks, but have not had time to hit the junk yard yet.
        if they power flushed it, that could be the source of your problems,you never get a trans flush on these vehicles. theres an internal filter, and flushing it can push all that stuff back into the mix. drain & refill procedure or d/c the cooler and have a bucket for old and and 7 quarts of new ready to introduce with the car running, anyway. too bad you didnt do it, the magnetic plug can tell you things based on the sludge thats sticking to it(some on it is indicative of normal wear, a lot and you have problems)

Have you also checked the "kick down" cable attached to the trans and throttle? it should be down all the way and only start to come up as the throttle is opened.

I wouldnt worry so much about an ecu, but if you can find one go for it.

Like I said get the service manual, itll have steps to diagnose whats going on, instead of just stabbing in the dark.

Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CB7T...4002575741379/

Also your replacement tcu, was it the exact same as the broken one? Ive read that mixing and matching has cause people issues too, obviously you wouldnt want a 90-91 in a 92-93 and vice versa
        Last edited by illinois_erik; 03-09-2015, 08:51 PM.

Comment

i was talked into the flush at the dealer, they didnt replace the filter tho, i think it was a drain and refill.. all trying to get that lock up or " 5th gear" to engage. they said everything else looked normal. it didnt help anyway, still never gave me that overdrive.. 4th gear everywhere. i would only drive it a few times a week but that highway got to her. im gonna do it myself next weekend.

i have not messed with, or checked the kick down cable. i did tighten the throttle cable to get rid of the slack a few weeks ago though...hmm

just downloaded the helms manual, lol, all 1900 pages.. gonna need it sooner than later i think

the tcu came out of another 92, however i think its for a 91.. p0a
          Last edited by 90blueCb7; 03-10-2015, 10:04 PM.

Comment

they saw you walking in..lol. yeah they cant change the filter, that requires disassembling the transmission(and why "flushes" are bad.
            a drain refill is only 3.2ish quarts, the total volume of ATF is 6.9ish)..
            now your TCU might be the problem if it was from a 91..the 90-91's had that sport shift button, the 92-93's dont.
            Im not sure what the TCU would default to w/o that switch or S light..or the ECU that was matched to it..
            I think in sports mode you wouldnt get TCC lockup..
            anyway, cheers on getting a manual, but I dont think it has anything over the actual manual made by the people who made the car..
            heres a peek of what I mentioned before, theres some more diagnostic pages too.. but maybe this will spark some ideas!

Edit: Thought you had less than 30 posts, but you have enough,
            so if you want, I will dbl check the part number of the TCU from my 92 LX sedan..I dont need it.
            I also have the TCU from my 93 SE sedan that worked perfect when pulled..
            Last edited by illinois_erik; 03-10-2015, 11:11 PM.

Comment

dude. thank you!!

its at the bottom, ( lock up does not operate properly ) i have 5 things to read up on and check out!

i am paypal ready. i think i want a tcu from a 92 or 93 anyway. the lock up has not engaged since i replaced it with the current tcu.
              how much you want sir?

thanks again!
              Last edited by 90blueCb7; 03-11-2015, 08:08 PM.

Comment

can anyone tell me where the lock-up shift,control, and timing valve are located? 35, 36, and 37 on the list?

fluid is done. tcu is correct now, thermostat is working properly, and throttle cable is adjusted correct.
                all gears are great, shifts better than ever, drives great untill trying to cruise and grinds/whine when trying to lock up... im stuck..

Comment

i had the same problem when my car had an auto.

replacing these 2 sensors wither new or from a LOW MILES cb at the junk yard should fix your problem

http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m...l/400/9-62.pdf
                  visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by RyanD View Post
                    i had the same problem when my car had an auto.

replacing these 2 sensors wither new or from a LOW MILES cb at the junk yard should fix your problem

http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m...l/400/9-62.pdf
                    thanks man! i was going to try these next... searching jy today and nothing under 240k miles... but i did get a nice new tcu, and cb9 trunk compartment for 20$ total!

Comment

update**...

so i have replaced the nc and nw, main and counter sensors and had same issues.
                      drained and refilled again after about 100miles..
                      its driving so much better, annnd the lock-up is now working!! everything works great, untillll i let off the gas to coast.. she falls from gear and griiinds and whiiine untill i give it gas again or toss in neutral.

so i went to parts store to price out a new torque converter. while there i noticed the cheap torque converter 90$ has a lock-up with out coast relief valve.. but the 150$ converters come with a coast relief valve...

so i think possibly my converter coast relief valve has decided to take a dump... sounding correct?

Comment

http://www.google.com/patents/EP0077125B1?cl=en

info

Comment

Working...
                        X