Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

umm ... wtf?

metra front piece of the kit

i thought this was like a fascia piece because it's kenwood not Metra, but is it actually the front piece of the kit?

i guess ill just double stick tape the iso brackets? theres no holes to screw them into the din pocket.

Last edited by Quashish; 10-26-2012, 10:13 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Hey,
      Did you read my posts carefully? I wrote that if you have the mounting cage you don't need the side iso pieces. Those pieces are only for those units that do not have cages. So you don't need the side pieces. Just bend the cage little tabs into the front metra piece and you are set. If you try to use the side iso pieces, it won't fit.

Comment

oh no i didnt catch that, but the front metra piece doesnt even fit over the metal cage like in the first pic in my last post.

so wft is keeping it in the dash?? i dont even need the kit. i guess its a good thing i got pipe strap this is gunna have to be all custom i guess.
        Last edited by Quashish; 10-27-2012, 12:20 AM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

To screw the brackets in don't use the cage, iirc it won't fit in the dash anyway.
          FA1

Comment

Originally posted by 2.2litrebeater View Post
            To screw the brackets in don't use the cage, iirc it won't fit in the dash anyway.
            yah thanks

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
            if you have the mounting cage you don't need the side iso pieces. Those pieces are only for those units that do not have cages. So you don't need the side pieces.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

It doesn't look like the cage for that radio is conventional size for the double din. The bottom part seems to be of bigger width, so it won't fit into your dash. So get rid of the cage. Would the radio slide into the opening of your dash by itself? If the radio just fit into that cage, you might have problem getting the radio into that opening in the dash. If the radio fits by itself, just use the sides from the Metra kit and forget the cage.

Comment

Its in, very ghetto but in. secured with cardboard and pipe straps.

Just have to figure out how to set the background image using a usb. Keeps saying something about the backup camera. And it shows music notes next to the file even though its ajpeg and set for still image on the unit. I think the inputs are mixed up. Idk why this picture sucks so much but here you go

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

ok so if anyone out there wants to install a kenwood DDX in a CB you dont need the dash kit.

instead of buying a bypass so you are able to play DVDs whenever you want just ground the lime green wire to the chassis of the unit.

i think thats all the tips i have on this. once you ground that wire you can set a backround image from a usb too. it wont let you veiw image files without it.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

I don't understand how come you ended up using cardboard and some other stuff to hold the Double Din unit....

Metra is the only kit for sale out there for our CB's, I bought the same kit 3 years ago to install a Kenwood similar to what you have and right after that I installed an Alpine Multimedia Station.. this kit held both pretty good.

It was just a combination of screws and side plastics, break some tabs and push into the slot.

I had to removed the ALPINE shroud trim to make it fit and it looked like this:
                    JDM Parts for sale

Comment

The front square piece from metra would clip into the dash bezel but the unit won't fit in after because its like a 1/4" smaller than the unit. I could have put in the unit then metra piece but then its loose and cooke funny to me sunken in.

Theres not enough room to use the side iso brackets at all. and the metal pocket that came with the unit doesn't doesn't fit in the dash either. So I did it my way. This kenwood is a 6.1" screen but I never measured the entire face.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

It's not a close up but a little view and the only picture I got of it.

Comment

thats cool i like the remote there in the steering wheel

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Working...
                          X