VSS or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VSS or something else?

Recently I've noticed my speedometer stays at 0 everything else works no warning lights are on. Also my miles don't roll. Vss not working stuff.

However it only seems to do it when its very cold. I recently just modded the cluster overhead lights. But I didn't take the cluster apart. Just took it out. I thought I had jostled something and it had to get back into place or something. it worked yesterday fine but this morning there was tons of frost on the car and I had symptoms of vss not working.

So is there anything I could check in the cluster itself? or should i just replace the vss?
    Anyone have the same deal when its cold?

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

If the VSS is not working the odometer won't work as well. I think if you broke the speedo the odometer will still work.

steve

Comment

Yah it's got all the signs that the vss is out but its weird that it happened after I touched the cluster. I'll probably get one from the junk yard

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

i think that if the vss is not working it will throw a code. i once had the symptoms your having. in fact im having them now. my speedo gauge is a POS and needs to be replaced. sounds like yours is the same.

my original speedo died a year ago. it fliped up and over to the other side of the arc and never moved again. i replaced the speedo with the one i have now and its a POS because i had to put my own needle in it so it sticks in certain placed and is off by 5mph

if you have never replaced the vss i would recommend doing so. they dont cost that much at a JY and chances are you will need to replace it sooner or later. if that does not fix it than your gauge died.

cheers
        visit vgruk

Comment

Swapped the vss and still nothing. Idk how the speedometer died or how I killed it when it worked after I put it back in for a day. then stopped, was jumpy. Came back for a few days. Then died this morning. Lame.
          Last edited by Quashish; 01-01-2013, 08:30 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Are you sure the VSS is good? I'll be honest I've just about given up on the local u pull around here everytime I get something it doesn't work.
            Pt6 ecu, no start. window switch didn't work. cylinder head all 16 valves were bent, WTF and the valve guides were worn. About the only things I get from there would be interior parts that I can tell are good.
            Get one from ebay they are only $10 shipped. Mine worked great but I cant find where I purchased it.

It's a lot cheaper than a cluster. Seems two months ago clusters were $45 and now them bitches want $100(sorry if someone on the boards is selling them)

Comment

Haha noi dont know a way to test them. Idk I thought the odds of it working would be pretty good. But then again... The hood was open and it rained recently?

I'll order a new one

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

The VSS MIGHT give you a code if its bad, it might not

It was bad in my legend and it took it quite a bit of time to give me a code

Also for some reason i had to replace the whole assembly, power steering lines included to get the VSS working again.

Comment

i did a lot of research when my vss went. it was my first time working on a car so i wanted to do it right.

here is a website that really helped: http://techauto.awardspace.com/vss.html

also this chart is very useful to:
                  visit vgruk

Comment

This is the one I bought. Should be here by Friday.
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/370512492488...84.m1438.l2649

Mine does the same thing. Doesn't work when cold but works sporadically when engine/trans is at normal temp.
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    That is exactly why pork chops don't taste like chocolate!

Comment

Think thats the same one I got.

I'm guessing tippey knows this
                      What is the code or error light for the vss being out? Because if its a false rear brake light then I've had that for a few weeks

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Need to check my cruise control in the morning

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

yea if your cruise does not work its the vss for sure
                          visit vgruk

Comment

Cruise still works. I'm probably gunna take out the cluster and inspect it today or tomorrow

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Chevsica View Post
                              This is the one I bought. Should be here by Friday.
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/370512492488...84.m1438.l2649

Mine does the same thing. Doesn't work when cold but works sporadically when engine/trans is at normal temp.
                              Received the new one today. Works perfect except for having to cut the o.e. plug off of the old one and splicing it on the new VSS. The plug on the new VSS was too tight and would not slide into the plug from the harness.
                              Originally posted by deevergote
                              That is exactly why pork chops don't taste like chocolate!

Comment

Working...
                              X