NRG torque damper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NRG torque damper

So I just got it because I thought it was sexy. I guess most people put it on the alternator bracket. I wanted to replace the original dogbone with the NRG but the eye hooks are too small to fit the front mount bolt unless I get rid of the bearing inside the eye hook. Kinda dont want to do that.

So I was thinking about using the nrg in parallel to the dogbone as well as filling the bushings with polyurethane. Ideas opinions?

Also those bolts are on there tight even with pb blaster. I know the lower passenger side is welded on but I think thats the only one right?

Heres what the insides of the NRG torque damper look like.
    Red bushings are poly black are rubber
    NRG and Stock togrther in parallel with poly filled
    0.00%
    NRG in place of Stock
    16.67%
    Stock front mount NRG in other location
    83.33%

The poll is expired.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

if thats like a little shock then you will need to mount it on the backside of the motor for it to be at all useful as the motor tilts back during acceleration.

*unless it works when you pull it vs push. I guess i dont know how it works, but im sure you could rig something up for it to work.

Comment

some swaybar endlink bushings and 10 mins in a good hardware store and it looks doable. I was thinking about a mountain bike rear spring shock with a stiffer spring preloaded.

Comment

Yah I've seen the mountain bike done looks cool.

so you think there would be more benefit in doubling up on the front mount with this one? Replacing it completely with the front? Or using it on the alternator to chassis?

Thats the way I've seen it on most. Like on h swaps or turbo set ups where the front mount would be in the way

I'll make a poll soon.

Assembled

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

I always wondered how some one would install this on their cb7 with out messing something up, keep us posted

Comment

Looking a the design, it appears to dampen tensional (pulling) forces. The body is attached to one link, and the shaft to the other. The body and the shaft have caps on their opposing ends, and the bushings are compressed by these caps when pulled.

Looks cool!

Comment

So since under acceleration the engine tilts towards the firewall I should mount the barrel side facing the firewall as well? this came with no instructions at all

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

ps bracket to strut tower? if it will reach that seems to be the most logical place

8 Accords so far:
                '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
                '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
                (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

Mmk then. Thats where I've seen it. Iguess

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
                    So since under acceleration the engine tilts towards the firewall I should mount the barrel side facing the firewall as well? this came with no instructions at all
                    If the engine moves rearward in the bay, you want to link it between the front of the bay and the side of the engine on that side. The damper dampens puling forces, not pushing.

Comment

Here's a link to a write up for a custom install on a 4th gen Prelude (92-96). I'm assuming that's where it would go on the CB also considering their similarities. I saw talk of weak bushing washers...might want to look into that.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2400042

Comment

Originally posted by 5sp5drCB View Post
                        Here's a link to a write up for a custom install on a 4th gen Prelude (92-96). I'm assuming that's where it would go on the CB also considering their similarities. I saw talk of weak bushing washers...might want to look into that.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2400042
                        It's not weak washers, its the fact they are so small in circumference and can rip thru the bushing. It just requires a larger circumference washer.
                        Originally posted by Mishakol129
                        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

^^I didn't fully read the thread before I posted the link but now I see what he's talking about. That seemed like an easy enough fix...however the thread is from '08 so maybe the company addressed that problem by now.

Comment

Thanks for that link I didn't see it while searching this morning. No the washers still little. Gunna hit up OSH tomorrow

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Hmm... Looking at the photos in that other thread, it looks like the device is intended to dampen in both directions, not just the pull force I was mentioning. The plastic white spacer on the end of the shaft the dampers install on allows the shaft to slide through in a compression force without hitting the other end of the cylinder. Looks pretty cool. The washers in between the dampers compress the damper in either direction, against either white spacer (and thereby the cap on the end of the tube). This means you could use a rubber damper in one direction, and a poly one in the other, if for some reason one direction was under more stress (like, the direction the engine rotates...).
                              Last edited by reklipz; 01-27-2013, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X