cooling fan not turning on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cooling fan not turning on

i've noticed that my fan never turns on after i get out. i know one is for the A/C and the other under the radiator cap is the cooling. and i know "the fan switch (the switch that activates the fan at certain temp)" is on the head. is that also like a thermostat? or what?

im thinking it is that one part on the head though most likely and not the fan thats broken right?

or should i replace the radiator fan relay?

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

The switch on the thermostat housing is the one you want to look at. Unplug the connector and jump it with a paperclip, it should come on. The switch in the neck at the front of the head is set to come on at a higher temp.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

oh ok ill try that, so if it doesnt kick on then i replace the thermostat? or the switch? does it come together?

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

This is to test the fan itself. I'm looking for the specs on testing the switch right now.
        Originally posted by Mishakol129
        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

yah im still searching as well. i wont have my car till around 5 to check this stuff. hopefully ill get to it today.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

off the top of my head,isnt there a fan switch timer/relay that sits under the dash by the driver side kick panel too?I cant remember if its a small black or brown box.I changed mine a while back beacause of that problem.When I opened it,it looked old and kinda burned out.
            Last edited by pninja82; 03-17-2013, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Yah I read that too but in all these dead threads ive been looking through someone will ask a question like that but it wont get an answer.

I dont think thats my issue since I do remember them going on before. But do you remember where that box was? Under the column or above the fuses?

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Above the fuses.Its a small box with 2 mount points that stick out if I remember correctly.I apologize because its been a while.

Comment

Cool ill add it to my list of things to check

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

sorry for crappy pic,Im on my phone.This was the only image I found on google,its out of a 92.This.was my problem.I snagged a few from the junkyard and was golden.

Comment

I made a pretty comprehensive post about this sometime back. I think it was in the waterless coolant thread or such? We were talking about increasing the operating temperature of the engine, and every single thermister, thermometer, switch, and relay was looked at in there.

Depending on the model of your car, you should have two thermoswitches that control the fans, as well as two relays, one diode, and the "fan timer" box (this one depends on the options, but I think most USDM cars are like this? someone will have to comment). One thermoswitch opens below the operating temp (198 F or such), and one opens above the operating temp (closer to the boiling point of water I think). These switches, as well as the fan timer unit (which allows the fans to run with the ignition off), control the relays, and thereby the fans. So, you'll need to test all of these things: the fans themselves, the relays, the thermoswitches, the timer unit, the fuses, and the wiring itself.
                      Last edited by reklipz; 03-17-2013, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Quick tests: Press your A/C button with the car on, do both your fans come on? If you let your car idle until warmed up, does your fan come on? Also what temp does your coolant needle sit at when it comes on?

The only thermoswitch that activates the fans when the car is off, is the one with the highest temp setting, its sort of a failsafe to the primary thermoswitch (which see's alot more on/off cycles).
                        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
                          Quick tests: Press your A/C button with the car on, do both your fans come on? If you let your car idle until warmed up, does your fan come on? Also what temp does your coolant needle sit at when it comes on?

The only thermoswitch that activates the fans when the car is off, is the one with the highest temp setting, its sort of a failsafe to the primary thermoswitch (which see's alot more on/off cycles).
                          both fans turn on with A/C, and my coolant temp stays little lower than middle when its warmed up, never see it drop or rise during driving. in a little while ill let him run again and wait for the fans to go on.

just that one should turn on within 15 minutes after warmed up right?

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

so i didnt get it to turn on except when the A/C is on. i guess ill pop the hood tomorrow morning after i park at work and see if it kicks on after that drive.

looked for this guy didnt see it under my dash
                            Originally posted by pninja82 View Post
                            EDIT found it, its way up there
                            Last edited by Quashish; 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
                              both fans turn on with A/C, and my coolant temp stays little lower than middle when its warmed up, never see it drop or rise during driving. in a little while ill let him run again and wait for the fans to go on.

just that one should turn on within 15 minutes after warmed up right?
                              From dead cold I've ran my car for close to 45 minutes before the fan turned on... We have very efficient engines... by the way i always keep an eye on my temp gauge and it never passed the half way mark...

If your not overheating then there is most likely nothing wrong...

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

Working...
                              X