New Headset ... Skullcandy SLYR and Steelseries Siberia v/2 Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Headset ... Skullcandy SLYR and Steelseries Siberia v/2 Reviews

For those who don't know me I am about 80% deaf so a good headset is a must for me. I have used mostly Turtle Beach headsets with built in amplifiers like the x21 and x12 because of their low cost. They tend to be loud enough for me to enjoy music, movies, games, and even allow me to hear and comprehend some people on ventrillo and Teamspeak. The downside is they tend to only last me 6 months to a year before they start dying. My last pair of x12 did last me almost a year before I started noticing crackling and loss of sound on the right side.

Today I went to Hastings to get a new headset. My first choice was the Skullcandy SLYR with it's interesting design and positive reviews I thought it would be a nice headset.

The Skullcandy SLYR is a multiple platform headset for PC, Xbox, PS3, and they also function as a nomal set of headphones with a 3.5 mm jack. Which I felt would come in handy when I wasn't on my PC. At $79.99 this is what I consider an entry level gaming headset price range. Sure there are plenty that do the job for cheaper but most sub $75 headsets don't last too long for me.

Removed from the box everything is nicely packaged and shows no sign of damage or defect.

The headset itself is made of a solid all plastic design which kind of worried me but I knew of this before purchasing from other reviews I had read. Every other review I read assured that the all plastic design was not an issue and none of them had broken a pair yet after weeks of use. The mic is also a solid piece that folds up into the left ear cup when not in use which is nice if you don't use a mic a lot like me. The ear cups are rather small but with a little maneuvering you can get your ear to sit inside the cups and be moderately comfortable.

The wiring I have to say is just way too much for a PC gamer. Maybe if you are someone who plays Xbox or PS3 from across a room it may have its advantages but the cord for this headset is 16 ft. which was just a mess around my PC. For PC the headset plugs into the equalizer which then runs to a USB connection and 2 analog plugs for PS3 and Xbox. For PC you only need the USB which leaves the analog plugs hanging free. This is where I really ran into an issue because with the analog plugs hanging free every time they would touch something it would cause a static feedback into the headset. After hunting down some rubber caps from other analog plugs I moved on to testing the sound quality. In a few of the reviews I read people compared the SLYR's sound to Turtle Beach headsets saying the sound was better in the SLYR saying that they were louder and clearer. In my experience this is untrue. The headset had a very annoying static which was loud enough even I could hear it over the music I was playing through it. All in all it was a very bad experience. I packaged the headset back up and took it back to Hastings in less than a hour. Now this could have been a defective headset and I was just unlucky but first impressions mean a lot to me. Not only was the sound horrible but the PC connection and length of cable was just a huge turn off.

After returning the Skullcandy SLYR headset to Hastings I opted to try the Steelseries Siberia v/2 which I have heard many good reviews on and they have been out for a while.

The Steelseries Siberia v/2 is a PC gaming headset with none of this cross platform bells and whistles. At $89.99 it is only $10 more than the SLYR and still in the entry level headsets for me.

Removed from the box it is packaged in a very simple manner and the cable is much shorter and easier to manage at less than 10 feet where 6 feet is from an extension cable that can be removed. The middle band seems to be on a cable system that holds the headset in a comfortable suspended like position on your head. The ear cups are large and easily fit over my ears without any discomfort. The mic is a retractable and adjustable wire like piece that hides away under the left ear cup. It is a simple straight forward design that works for me.

After plugging in the headset I ran through a playlist of music ranging from classical to heavy bass hip hop, watched an episode of Burn Notice on Netflix, and played a little Diablo 3. In all cases the sound came through nice and clear. It is however slightly quieter than my previous Turtle Beach headsets which I don't mind since it is a lot clearer. I also plan to get an Astro Mixamp next month which will allow me to increase and tune the volume some. So far I am pleased with the Steelseries Siberia v/2.

Hope you all enjoy the review and find it helpful. For detailed specifications on the two headsets you can visit the links below.

Skullcandy SLYR
    http://www.skullcand...yr-black-yellow

Steelseries Siberia v/2
    http://steelseries.c...ries-siberia-v2

I have the astro wireless mixamp and a sennheiser pc350.

It is great and the wireless part works very well.

I've had it for 2 years. I actually prefer to listen to the tv this way because I can hear everything that is said.

steve

Comment

Ducky Shine IIIs are being released at the end of this month if you're about ready to move up from the CM

1999 BMW M3
      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Working...
      X