SUSP: DIY Abs Bleeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSP: DIY Abs Bleeding

Reviewing some other threads, and thought this would be helpful. Please be CAREFUL, the ABS is very high pressure. Also, the proper way to do this is with special tools and a $1200 computer... in case you were interested.

First off, scrap the ALB Checker and the Bleed wrench..
    What you will have to do is locate the ABS pump relay located in the fuse block underneath the hood.. you will pull out that 4 pin relay and look at where the COPPER colored terminals connect into the fuse block.... If you place a jumper wire in the same slots where those copper pins would fit, ignition in the "on" position.. the ABS pump will initiate.. remember Copper colored pins, not the silver ones..

You need to locate the bleeder screw on the ABS modulator and make sure the ABS fluid reservoir is full.. jump the terminals in the fuse block to start the ABS pump, run the pump for only a matter of seconds.. four or five seconds is appropriate.. you will then loosen the bleeder nut on the ABS modulator.. Do this very slow, ABS systems are high pressure and brake fluid will shoot out and make a mess.. now repeat the above.. Don't forget to put a hose on the bleeder screw.

Keep repeating the process while keeping an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir.. This process does not usually take the first couple times and may require that you do it a half dozen times or more.. keep with it and you will get all the air out of the system.. you will know if you were successful when the ABS pump does not over-run and no ABS codes exist

I have to be honest, I did copy the above:
    http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=75658

I did this and it worked. I had to move the top half of the air intake so I could get a wrench on the bleeder. It was something very small, 1/4 inch or so. It definitely needed to be bled. When I opened it brake foam came out!
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

I did this years ago just for kicks before I removed the system, the pressure is unbelieveable.

Comment

unblievable how? wat do u mean when u have to bleed it? the fluid comin out
      **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
      Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
      Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

The pressure in the system is under wicked high pressure, like a pressure washer w/ the smallest nozzle times 100.

Comment

sounds scarey.
          **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
          Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
          Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

I think my pump is broken... I just got a fizzle.
            MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Good info, but why did you bleed it in the first place? Were you having some sort of problem? If so what were the symptoms?

Comment

thanks for posting this the DAY AFTER i decided to do this =P

great info thanks for the post.
                frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by loup05 View Post
                  Good info, but why did you bleed it in the first place? Were you having some sort of problem? If so what were the symptoms?
                  Replaced 2 wheel sensors, then code 1 came on. I followed the diagnostic chart in the Helms manual and it told me to bleed it. Didn't work, so now I've got a new pump sitting in my garage. Probably put it in tomorrow.
                  MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Replaced the pump and bled properly this time. A few additional pointers:
                    1. Unscrew the top of your air filter (assuming stock) and remove the actual filter. This will make it easier to get a wrench on the bleeder valve.

2. The wrench size is 5/16

3. Put a tube over the end of the bleeder and direct it somewhere. The initial blast will cover your engine bay. I had a tube over it for the actual bleeding but see number 5 for the rate of flow.

4. Make sure you loosen the bleeder one whole turn. Just turning it to the initial blast WILL NOT BLEED it properly. I probably could have used my old pump had I realized this.

5. You will know if its open and your pump is working properly. You will go through the reservoir in about 5 seconds.

That's about it. A quick side note: If you have to replace the pump, be patient. The bolts for the bracket got stuck on the junkyard car AND my car. Additionally if you drop stuff you need to loosen the weather shield under your radiator to drop it out of the bottom. If you don't you risk bending all sorts of lines trying to get your hand down there.
                    MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Looked it up, pump pressure is around 3250 psi.
                      BE CAREFUL!!!
                      MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Nice DIY saves all us CB owners who like the safety of ABS money from the stealerships and garages that charge an arm and a leg to perform this procedure.

Comment

i found this, it has alot of pictures to give people a better idea of what to do on your cb eventhough this was done on an nsx

http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/brakes/abs/abs.htm
                          Last edited by xkjnboix; 01-19-2012, 12:02 AM.
                          frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by Gummiegorilla View Post
                            Nice DIY saves all us CB owners who like the safety of ABS money from the stealerships and garages that charge an arm and a leg to perform this procedure.
                            Always happy to help

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
                            i found this, it has alot of pictures to give people a better idea of what to do on your cb eventhough this was done on an nsx

http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/brakes/abs/abs.htm
                            That's not a bad DIY, but their components are different than ours.

If you don't understand what I wrote, don't fret. I'm filming most of my DIYs now. You'll get a video over the summer.
                            MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Got this coming soon for sure, so thanks for this.

3000 odd psi, holy shit!

So bleeding the ABS is done separate to the normal brakes?

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
                              UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
                              NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Working...
                              X