Best controller for PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best controller for PC?

The best feeling controller I ever used was an old Microsoft Sidewinder (kinda felt like a Sega Genesis controller.) Unfortunately, my old Sidewinder has an old plug that I no longer have a port for on my computer. I have a cheaper USB Sidewinder that just doesn't feel as good, and the buttons have gotten sticky (even took it apart and cleaned it... still sticky.) I also have an Interact Hammerhead that feels floppy and cheap, as well as a few USB NES and SNES knockoffs that don't really work well at all.

I'm primarily looking for something to use with emulators (NES, Genesis, SNES, Playstation, etc...) Just so long as it has enough buttons for Playstation games, it's all good. Nothing fancy, or terribly expensive... but not crap, like everything else I have!

Suggestions?

I've played the Assassin's Creed series on my PC with the wired USB XBOX 360 controller. I'm sure that's more than you care to use for older games, though.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I use an older Xbox controller, no problems here.
      Originally posted by Mishakol129
      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

I do have 360 and original Xbox controllers... I'll have to give that a shot! Do the wired regular Xbox controllers just plug right up and work? (if so, I can't believe I've never tried... I gotta dig mine out of the attic!)

Comment

You have to select them in the game menu, but the drivers automatically download when you plug them in. They are Microsoft products, after all.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I have heard it is possible to use a PS3 controller with Bluetooth (either built into your computer or a dongle).
            Gary A.K.A. Carter
            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
              I have heard it is possible to use a PS3 controller with Bluetooth (either built into your computer or a dongle).
              You can also do this to play games on your phone with most emulators.

Comment

I tried it with my PS4 controller. Couldn't get it to work. Dunno if they're that much different from the PS3 controllers.

I wish I could do that with my phone. Stupid iPhone! (maybe if I jailbreak...)

Comment

You cant beat the original controllers - cheap knockoffs never feel right nor respond properly. I picked up a cheap usb dongle that has N64 and Sony controller ports on it. Then XBox controllers are USB already. And Wiimotes work if you have bluetooth. That way you have the choice of 4 different controllers, whichever one makes sense for the particular emulator you are using. I configured each emulator to use the particular matching controller. Worked nicely until the HDD died, lol.

Last edited by cp[mike]; 04-13-2015, 06:23 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I thought about picking up one of those dongles. It'd be nice to use my old controllers! I really hate the N64 controller, but it's best for the old N64 games. Tried Mario 64 with my crappy Hammerhead, and it just didn't feel right!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      I thought about picking up one of those dongles. It'd be nice to use my old controllers! I really hate the N64 controller, but it's best for the old N64 games. Tried Mario 64 with my crappy Hammerhead, and it just didn't feel right!
                      Yeah, each generation of controller implemented an "improvement" to the technology of the control input (D-pad, to dumb joysticks, to progressive joysticks) and trying to use the wrong one for the wrong system really doesnt work very nicely. Like the super-sensitive playstation thumbsticks suck for trying to move Mario around properly. Sucks having to keep a collection of controllers around, but its better than keeping controllers AND systems AND games lol.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                        Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                        You can also do this to play games on your phone with most emulators.
                        Oops, I meant with a Wii controller.

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                          Yeah, each generation of controller implemented an "improvement" to the technology of the control input (D-pad, to dumb joysticks, to progressive joysticks) and trying to use the wrong one for the wrong system really doesnt work very nicely. Like the super-sensitive playstation thumbsticks suck for trying to move Mario around properly. Sucks having to keep a collection of controllers around, but its better than keeping controllers AND systems AND games lol.
                          I still have all my systems. Even my SNES that my old dog pissed in (not on... in. He was mad at me for ignoring him, and knew exactly how to hurt me!)

Comment

Pfffft controllers.

Seriously though, wired Xbox 360 controller is usually the best route. They can be had for $20 or less and work perfectly.

RIP my last two CB7s.
                            New rides:
                            '82 Volvo 245 drift project
                            '87 Volvo 244 daily
                            Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

I still have my gameboy, too! And my PSP (I play PS1 games on it.)

Do the original Xbox controllers work well? I have some of those packed away upstairs. No wired 360 controller... though if I can get one of those for under $20, that seems like the way to go!

Comment

Working...
                              X