Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Ubuntu for the first time via DVD...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Ubuntu for the first time via DVD...

I like it! I've never used anything but Windows, so this is pretty new for me. I like how clean it is. It's slow, since I'm running it directly from my DVD drive... but I think I might actually install it as a secondary OS (alongside of Windows 7).

I know there are quite a few people on here that have used Ubuntu. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, advice, etc...? Right now, it's really just a novelty for me. Is there anything it has to offer over Windows, other than simply not being Windows?

seriously? lol the whole benefit is that its got Linux on the back end. You probably won't use that aspect much, but the security and flexibility it provides leads to some very creative tools to do stuff easily and more reliably. It's the true "toolkit" for a computer. Only finally polished enough to be used as a day-to-day cruiser PC. If you like ubuntu (are you using the "unity" tablet-style interface?) then you may like Linux Mint, its the same base as Ubuntu except it looks, acts, and feels a lot more like WinXP or Win 7. That's what I run on all of my own hardware at home, since it has lots of community support. Paired with clones of all the necessary software, plus the ability to run most windows software using Wine or a VM, I don't miss windows ONE BIT.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I'm really liking it so far. It's just so clean feeling compared to Windows 7. My dual display was flip-flopped when I started it, and I was able to change the display order of the monitors quickly and easily. No issues, didn't have to go digging through multiple menus as I do on Windows. I dig it!

I'm running 14.04.3, which was the newest fully supported version on the Ubuntu site. Having no experience with Linux-based operating systems, I figured I should familiarize myself a bit before I get my Raspberry Pi (I intend to use it as a gaming system... but I'll want to mess with it otherwise as well!)
      I'm not sure what style the display would be. I have a toolbar running up the left side of my screen.

I'll look into Linux Mint as well.

Comment

I love Linux Mint! One of my co-workers turned me on to it. I had ubuntu before and they are very similar. I've been trying out Windows 10 for the past few months and there is no comparison. Linux is by far the better OS, imo. Simpler, faster, more secure. What's not to like? I'm probably going to get into some hardcore hacking sometime in my life and Linux allows you to run a lot of special programs to do things "The Man" locks you out of.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

It's interesting to think that it opens so many doors in terms of freedom to do stuff, yet remains more secure. You'd think that would make it a target!

I like Windows for the familiarity, but with each new version it just feels more and more bloated. I started with Windows 95, and was pleased when I upgraded to Windows 98. From 98 to 2000 was fairly painless. I resisted the switch to XP, but eventually grew attached to it. I ran XP until I bought my current system with Windows 7 pre-installed. I don't dislike it for the most part... but it's just got so much unnecessary junk!
          My first thought with Ubuntu was "this feels like Windows 98"... in a good way.

I'm curious to see if there's really any good reason for me to make the switch. I'll most likely end up doing a dual-boot setup, so Windows will still be there. I may eventually pick up another hard drive (a nice new speedy SSD drive might be cool...) and make that the permanent home for Ubuntu or Linux Mint (or whatever else I get my claws into.)

I did like that startup and shutdown were damn near instant. When I do either on Windows 7, I know I can make myself a cup of coffee before it completes!

Comment

With the way MS is going I'll probably be going back to linux. Ubuntu is the best, Fedora I didn't really like and Caldera was ok. I've never tried Linux Mint, i'll have to try it.

Comment

I installed it. I'm not 100% sure... but I think I may have accidentally plopped it on a 32gb SD card. I'm back in Windows now, and my SD card is showing that it only has 10gb free... and the Ubuntu installation was only working with 32gb total.
              It ran a little slow, though not terribly.

Comment

Yep, that's exactly waht i did. I removed the SD card, and it booted right into Windows with no additional boot options.

The funny thing is that I unsuccessfully tried to create a bootable SD card a few weeks ago (which is why that card was in there in the first place!)

Comment

whoops lol. Ive messed around with Various linux distro's, but for a daily driver win 10 has everything i need.
                  sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

It just seems that Windows is getting so incredibly bloated.

Comment

HA!

I have run Linux in some form or fashion since Eric(Accord R33) got me into it in like 07-08.

I actually don't have a machine with it right now as I had it installed on my garage PC but it took a shit.

Right now I just have my main PC which is upgraded to Windows 10 for free and my old as shit 2008 macbook which is running OSX Lion.

Surprisngly I haven't had any issues upgrading to 10. I don't think it seems bloated etc but my hardware is starting to show its age and I am thinking when this PC goes I will replace it with an Imac. I like the whole, one unit idea, and I honestly don't HAVE to have windows for any specific program. I could also use bootcamp to have windows in a dual boot setup like you have now with Ubuntu, in fact i have Windows 7 installed alongside OSX on my macbook but I hardly use it.

I never tried mint, always just did Longterm releases from Ubuntu.

I might give mint a try and see how I like it.

Comment

My mom just got an iMac. It's cool, but it frustrates the hell out of me. I always hated the Apple mouse, and the OSx layout is just irritating to me. Which is funny, since I absolutely love how the iPhone is laid out!
                        When my mom was shopping, I told her that if she gets a Mac I won't be able to help her with it. Within a week of her purchase, she called me and asked me to come help her figure it out. Nope! (ok, I did... or rather, I tried.)

Comment

Osx is a lot like Linux distros.

The way the file system is presented for searching( Home, computer, downloads, desktop)

It just takes getting used too, but I have had this macbook since 2011 ish and ive maxed the ram and upgraded to Lion which is the last OSX this machine will take and it has performed flawlessly. It has been "on" for almost that whole time with the exception of rebooting here and there and anytime I turned it off for a day or so.

It hasn't slowed down, still the same speed as when I upgraded it in 2011. I did throw an SSD in there, forgot that but otherwise, its been good.

My wife used a Macbook pro that I made her max out with the i7 chip and upgraded components. Cost a bit but its a beast.

Only thing I really hate about Apple is the price....same machines built by hand on the PC side are half as much, maybe even a third and perform just as well but obv will not last as long without much more maintenance tasks.

I ran a live disk of Linux mint last night and it is pretty cool, bascially exactly like Ubuntu except with a start menu similiar to windows....thats all I could tell.

I might install it alongside my Win 10 system to put it through its paces...

I have been doing research lately to build or acquire a mini pc for a home theater purpose....

Originally I was going to get a 2011-2012 Mac mini with the i5 core and call it a day but I hate to spend 300-400$ and then shove the thing in my cabinet and forget about it haha.

I have been looking at the Azzure Quantum mini which has an quad core atom processor and 2gb of ram....everyone seems to say streaming 1080P is golden, and also transcoding with PLEX.

If I like linux mint enough maybe I can just build a small HTPC for use with linux mint.

That Quantum is only $169 though haha.

Comment

I'll be getting a Raspberry Pi 2 for Christmas (or buying it myself if I don't!), so I figured it would be wise to start learning a Linux-based system.
                            I'm looking forward to having that tiny machine running! Since those suckers are so cheap, I want to see what I can do with them! The new Pi Zero is only "$5", though nobody sells it for that price. Even the official site sells it for £4.

Comment

I have been using Ubuntu for years, and am thinking of coming back to Windows, reluctantly. I already converted my home office computer 100% of the way back, and I am running a Windows VM 99% of the time to watch Hulu and Netflix which is shit for the video quality.

Ubuntu works really well and is cool to play around with, but over the past couple of years I have found that Windows is just better at everything. For browsing the web Adobe just pretty much dumped support for Flash on Linux, so you either get an annoying prompt or websites that don't work at all, including Hulu and Netflix. For any kind of Microsoft Office related stuff, the free program is alright but not perfect and the learning curve is a little steep. Sharing drives is so so so much easier. It's generally just less glitchy and better supported. So you have to really think of what you want to use it for. Odds are Windows will have a better solution. 2-3 years ago I would recommend it but now not so much.

I think a far bigger improvement, though it would cost $$$$, would be to upgrade to an SSD. I swear by them. They really speed things up. Just get an SSD big enough to run your programs and then a regular HDD to store all your media and shit.
                              Last edited by gloryaccordy; 12-17-2015, 01:47 PM.

Originally posted by lordoja
                              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                              X