Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F22a4- circular spring found inside of rocker arm/ cams under valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22a4- circular spring found inside of rocker arm/ cams under valve cover

I recently changed the valve cover gasket on my f22a4 and found a circular spring just resting right next to the valve stem spring/ rocker arm.. where does it belong where did I come from, I can’t find any info on it don’t even know what it’s called/for...

pic? Sounds like for the rocker shaft

Comment

I cannot post pictures, not sure why. It’s about the size of the o ring that goes on the spark plug seal area of the valve cover. It’s a spring that is shaped like a circle.

Comment

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/...8-e4ba36a2451e
        Last edited by cp[mike]; 02-21-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Is it like a wavey washer, or a piece of a coil spring?
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

apparently the Acrobat website doesnt like hosting pictures. I changed your post from an image, to a link.

in regards to what that is - that DEFINITELY doesn't belong inside the engine! That is the tension "garter" spring from one of the oil seals - and judging by the large size of it, I would say one of the bigger seals (the rear main crank seal, behind the transmission?)

I can't imagine how that would get up into the head, and if it were missing from your oil seals, your engine would be leaking a ton of oil when it was running. The spring would also be captured around the crank if it had "fallen off" from your existing seal.

I suspect it might have fallen into there during some maintenance work in the past - perhaps a mechanic was playing with it and it sprung somewhere (inside the open engine!) and got lost... the kinks in the spring make it look like it probably bounced around and got in between some of the cylinder head's inner workings, but it's soft enough that it probably didnt cause any major damage... but you might want to look around closely.

here's a picture illustrating where that coil spring normally resides on an oil seal:

Last edited by cp[mike]; 02-21-2018, 02:36 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Phew! That’s great news. Only thing that “leaked” oil was my valve cover gasket hence why I changed it, not actually sure the gasket was leaking if so barely anything. Main reason I changed the gaskets was because while changing spark plugs I noticed oil on my spark plugs!!!!!! Come to think of it I do not remember pulling any rubber o rings from the 4 spots their supposed to be under the valve cover. All is good a few days after the gasket replacement...
              thanks all for the help...

Comment

Did you change the seals at the bottom of the spark plug holes in the cam holders/rocker arm supports? These seals change from rubber to essentially a hard plastic because of heat; oil gets pushed past them into the spark plug holes.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

coil spring?

pretty sure its a coil spring - UPDATE: never mind, ignore what i said lol.

cp[mike] got it.

Comment

Working...
                  X