Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Replacing LX Steering Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing LX Steering Wheel

I want to replace my steering wheel the original is worn out and in need of replacement, I use this car for autocross so I was considering putting a racing steering wheel on. I am hesitant because I don't know if I would be able to rewire the horn into the dash, Any ideas?
    thanks

What kind of wheel are you looking at getting brand wise? As far as wiring, i would create a plug and play harness if youre handy with electrical.

Comment

Can be done. Horn is 1 wire. You can get to it from below the dash in the SRS harness. Search the site and you'll find the info you need.

Comment

Just be aware that if your state requires inspection (even just emissions), you may fail if you remove your airbag-equipped wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Just be aware that if your state requires inspection (even just emissions), you may fail if you remove your airbag-equipped wheel.
          lol wait what if he had a 90/91?

Comment

I'm assuming the picture of the airbag-equipped steering wheel is his...

Comment

I'm assuming the picture of the airbag-equipped steering wheel is his...
              no i mean like what if he had a 90/91 without airbags and got it inspected?

Comment

Then he's not removing anything that was factory-equipped, just like Deev worded it? How are you confused?
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I think he means why not put a steering wheel from 90-91 in, which would still fail inspection, so I have no clue why it was suggested.

RM3000, why do you want to replace your wheel just for autocross? You're not likely to hit anything like you would be on a road course, which is why they remove their airbags.

Also, remember that your steering wheel is a piece of safety equipment. Unless you buy from a legitimate manufacturer (momo, sparco, personal, vertex), you're putting your life literally in your hands. Grip Royal is complete, dangerous trash and shouldn't even be allowed to be sold if they're still using their original design. I've seen photos of the rim of a grip royal wheel broken off and the spokes end in sharp spikes, just waiting to slice your wrist. Cheap ebay wheels break incredibly easy as well, to the point where you could snap the spokes just by pulling on it too hard. A real wheel will be safe even in the event of an accident.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                  Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                  'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                  Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

omfg you guys....... lol

hypothetically, if he owned a car that didnt come with air bags from factory, what would they do?

I've never had the privilege of owning a car in an inspection state.

Comment

They would do nothing. It is illegal to remove airbags that came from the factory. If the car didn't come with airbags from the factory, there is no issue. I'm not sure why this is so confusing.

Comment

Thanks you guys

Thanks for the information, it is airbag equipped but I'll look into the rules in my state never thought about it being illegal to remove an air bag good I asked I guess. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

I'm not sure why this is so confusing.

I don't know either man.

Comment

RJ,

sorry I am late to the party my dude. I remember driving your car back from the shop that removed the refrigerant (he is currently deleting A/C), and, while it is loose and able to bend/rotate on top, the wheel is in good condition. I personally love the way the factory wheel feels when racing. I have a lot more seat time than you in a CB7 and am more used to the wheel, but it truly is great.

We are in California and he streets the car, and so will definitely fail the visual during a smog inspection if we run aftermarket steering wheels without saving the stock wheel to install once every two years. Some may find that worth the hassle, I don't, especially considering how good the factory wheel feels.
                            *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                            ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                            ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                            "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                            Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                            The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                            Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

It is illegal to remove airbags that came from the factory.
                              Never heard this before, I have never lived anywhere but N.C. though. I have been a licensed state inspector for the last 14 years. What state is this true in?

You should be able to get a horn button from any local auto parts store, wire the previously mentioned wire to one side of the button and the other goes straight to body ground, any good, out of the way bare metal under the dash would be fine.
                              Last edited by Size9zombie; 02-03-2018, 05:59 PM.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X