Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very true. No larger than 16" for a CB7 is best. 17"+ wheels have all the weight moved to the outer edge in the tire. If there is going to be weight, it's better closer to the hub, or at least spread out. If you notice, most of the pros that run slicks have VERY small front wheels!

Comment

Yeah, my 18" wheels are pretty heavy. With tires they are about 50 pounds a piece, but my 16" wheels weighed about 40 pounds a piece with tires. Even if you get lightweight rims the tires are what really add the weight on there.

That's an interesting sn ... Ferret. It almost sounds like mine lol ... I have 3 crazy ferrets at my house.

Comment

just give up ....get a crx!

end of story
        Happiness is CR-X shaped

Comment

Originally posted by pr3dSi

end of story
          I remember back in the old days of the board, the CRX guys knew their place

Comment

Originally posted by Ferret
            First step in real weight reduction = lightweight wheels

Rota Slipstreams - 12.5 lbs a peice, $500 for a set of four (and they look neat :3)

Apparently 10 lbs of unsprung weight is equal to 100 lbs of unsprung weight, but this is just what a much more experienced friend told me.
            AMEN!

im gonna get sport bronze..to match my mauve paint...

Comment

Originally posted by pr3dSi

end of story
              If I have to choose between having a butt ugly car and a heavy car, I will choose the heavy one. I was considering one before because I'm sure they can get down to 1500 pounds or so fairly easy, but it's not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                Very true. No larger than 16" for a CB7 is best.
                Yeah, I stick to 15" I guess, just for the weight and the cheaper price of tires. Almost every decent performance tire is made in 15", and it's cheaper for those versus a 16" one (my volvo had 16" wheels factory and the tires were much more). As far as a CRX, I'm getting a 240 per my friend's recomendation, we'll see where that goes. I like my accord though, always wanted one in high school and I'll keep messing with it a bit. It's fun to cruise around the mountains roads, even though it's a piece right now

I'll post some pictures sometime

Comment

i have 15's.
                  my 91 cb7
                  Originally posted by 4doorfury
                  I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

I have 15" OEM alloys and 17" Falken Hanabis.

15" is definitely best for tire price, and you can get some decent tires in 15. 16" is good for that bigger look, without sacrificing lighter weight. 17" isn't horrible, and the wider sizes are easier to find in 17" (my Hanabis are 7.5" wide... much better handling than the 15"!) Wide wheels with a low profile tire are very good for situations where tight handling is necessary (autocross, for example). I've been told that a good set of 15" with good tires are just as good, however.

Once you remove the easy stuff, I say the next place to lighten is the rear of the car. Remove anything that isn't necessary back there. There is NOTHING useful, at least in drag racing, in the rear of your car! I'm dying to find some drag skinnies for a cheap price!

Comment

Yeah I wish the 15" wheels came in wider sizes, but I did go for the thinnest ones you can get, and it helps a lot. Unless the car has a lot more power though, I wouldn't throw anything larger than 16" on there.

Comment

4 door with 1 seat weight?

how much does a 4 door accord 93 ex wiegh with no backseats....no spare tire...no jack...no front passenger seat...no carpet...and no ps pump wiegh???
                        the reason im asking is im racing a 93 ford probe v6 tommorrow..with 160 hp..and about 150 tq..that is heavy i beleive

if you dont mind could you guys give a guess off the top of your head as to the weight of my car?..btw i weight about 160..haha ..thanks team! .

f22a6 auto 145 hp vs v6 93 ford probe manual.. 160 hp no weight reduction..and about a 200 pound driver...
                        we are gonna do a dig and a roll from the interstate..thanks team!
                        Last edited by 93EXaesthetic; 11-01-2005, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic
                          how much does a 4 door accord 93 ex wiegh with no backseats....no spare tire...no jack...no front passenger seat...no carpet...and no ps pump wiegh???
                          the reason im asking is im racing a 93 ford probe v6 tommorrow..with 160 hp..and about 150 tq..that is heavy i beleive

if you dont mind could you guys give a guess off the top of your head as to the weight of my car?..btw i weight about 160..haha ..thanks team! .

f22a6 auto 145 hp vs v6 93 ford probe manual.. 160 hp no weight reduction..and about a 200 pound driver...
                          ex is heavier than dx or lx...go look on the registration for your car...it will be on there i believe, then look on this thread and see how much the stuff you took out weighs, then do the math...i dunno if you can beat him though...autos suck unless you have a stall converter or something...that would be rockin....lol

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic

I would say around 2700. I'm not entirely sure on how much the auto tranny weighs compared to the manual though.

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
                              ex is heavier than dx or lx...go look on the registration for your car...it will be on there i believe, then look on this thread and see how much the stuff you took out weighs, then do the math...i dunno if you can beat him though...autos suck unless you have a stall converter or something...that would be rockin....lol
                              i smoked his ass!

Comment

any estimates on the following, i am seriously thinking of taking them off since i have another daily driver:

front bumper and support
                                rear bumper and support
                                both fenders

my car is already an LX (base base) coupe i think im gonna try and make her as light as possible just for the fun of it, think i would get pulled over quick with no bumpers and fenders?
                                1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Comment

Working...
                                X