Engine :

L98
    Factory Aluminum Heads 58cc
    Flat Top Pistons from 90+ L98
    0.30" (355ci)
    10:1 Compression
    Blueprinted and Balanced
    Lunati VDSC-262 Roller Tapet Camshaft 262/270 112LSA
    Lunati 638-73943-16 Valve Springs 462 lbs./in.
    Factory 1:5 Roller Rockers
    Street Tune
    Stainless Works Headers
    Delete Catalytic Converters
    Delete Mufflers

Transmission :

700R4

Differential :

Dana 36
    LSD
    3.07 Ring and Pinion

Exterior :

Full Greenwood Graphics Kit
    Repainted Factory White
    ZR-1 Wheels
    Cooper Cobra Tires

Last edited by H311RA151N; 06-08-2019, 03:53 PM.

Very nice.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

Car has A/C but is not working. I have my EPA 609 certification so this car will stay R12. 609 permits one to purchase reclaimed R12 refrigerant.

I recommend anyone working on their A/C system in their car to at least obtain a Section 609 certification. To have a properly functioning A/C system that will work as intended for years on end you need to understand what it is your actually doing rather than just following a process. Obtaining a 609 certification is also one way to protect the environment and have the knowledge to stay legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Size9zombie View Post
        Very nice.
        Thank you. I only wish I had better pictures.

Comment

I've been seeing the coupes fairly often in traffic lately, and this generation's actually starting to grow on me.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
            I've been seeing the coupes fairly often in traffic lately, and this generation's actually starting to grow on me.
            I originally bought it to help someone out who was about to move half way across the country. I still think it was a good decision on my end. Which wasn't my original intent.

I would rather have a hard top with a Doug Nash 4+3 honestly. But the auto vert is ok. It gets 24-26mpg highway on 93 with quite a bit of timing and no knock counts.

L98 is a torque monster. But the Lt1 C4 has 60ish ponies on it. With everything done to it it's probably only as fast as a stock LT1 C4. That being said I think a later C4 would probably be what I'd choose if I was looking.

Comment

Something funny I'd like to add is that I was worried that insurance was going to kill me. To stay legit I have to have two policies, one in Mo and one in Wy. When I added the Corvette to the Talon insurance policy it raised my premium $13/mo. Both my truck and my Accord are more expensive to insure. Wild as that sounds. I have Progressive for anyone who's wondering. There are other factors I'm sure. Still yet that wasn't what I was expecting.

Comment

I'm actually thinking about getting a Cayman in the next few years, so I checked into insurance. Given the same coverage, the Porsche is a bit cheaper to insure than my RSX. Maybe because mine's a known "tuner car?" The Accord I don't get, but I can understand your truck being considered a vehicle expected to be abused. Corvettes and Porsches are more for responsible mid-life crises, haha.
                Last edited by CyborgGT; 06-07-2018, 10:11 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                  Car has A/C but is not working. I have my EPA 609 certification so this car will stay R12. 609 permits one to purchase reclaimed R12 refrigerant.

I recommend anyone working on their A/C system in their car to at least obtain a Section 609 certification. To have a properly functioning A/C system that will work as intended for years on end you need to understand what it is your actually doing rather than just following a process. Obtaining a 609 certification is also one way to protect the environment and have the knowledge to stay legal.
                  Yes, this.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

L98 is a torque monster. But the Lt1 C4 has 60ish ponies on it. With everything done to it it's probably only as fast as a stock LT1 C4. That being said I think a later C4 would probably be what I'd choose if I was looking.
                    I know quite about the TPI system, first off the TPI itself will be the anchor holding you back; sad to say but even with the higher compression aluminum heads(which flow less than the vortec) and a full port/polish and siamese job they will be far where you think it will be at. Dyno will show that the TPI system runs out of steam below 5k, mine would fall flat on its face right after 4200 and after the TPIS big mouth intake and siamese runner kit it still wouldnt make it to 5k. The TPIS intake system was never meant to go on the 350 sbc as GM was planning to use it on the 305, add cam to the equation and you end up with a platform that starts pulling right before the point where it stops breathing. Go over to thirdgen and see if you can score a LT1 intake that has been already converted for a SBC retrofit and go that route; tuning will be another issue as nobody wants to waste time on these so you have to resort to mail order tunes. I could keep going on and on and on.............
                    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                      I'm actually thinking about getting a Cayman in the next few years, so I checked into insurance. Given the same coverage, the Porsche is a bit cheaper to insure than my RSX. Maybe because mine's a known "tuner car?" The Accord I don't get, but I can understand your truck being considered a vehicle expected to be abused. Corvettes and Porsches are more for responsible mid-life crises, haha.
                      I don't understand their reasoning myself. Maybe they go by statistics? That's funny about the Porsche being cheaper to insure than your RSX. Apparently I'm not the only one experiencing this. There is some logic or formula to it then.

Mid-life crises. I have a few years yet but I'm preparing early.

Comment

I don't understand their reasoning myself. Maybe they go by statistics? That's funny about the Porsche being cheaper to insure than your RSX. Apparently I'm not the only one experiencing this. There is some logic or formula to it then.

Mid-life crises. I have a few years yet but I'm preparing early.
                        My Corvette is the cheapest car I insure of the 3 on my policy (Tacoma and Grand Cherokee). Granted, I have a low mileage discount on it, but still.

My STi with the same discounts as the Corvette was nearly double.

Comment

I originally bought it to help someone out who was about to move half way across the country. I still think it was a good decision on my end. Which wasn't my original intent.

I would rather have a hard top with a Doug Nash 4+3 honestly. But the auto vert is ok. It gets 24-26mpg highway on 93 with quite a bit of timing and no knock counts.

I always liked the look of the early cars with the running gear of the later. I'd go LS over LT just for ease of parts availability.

Anything on your car unobtanium yet? There's a few parts on mine that are no longer in production and have a decent failure rate, so used is the only option.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                            I always liked the look of the early cars with the running gear of the later. I'd go LS over LT just for ease of parts availability.

Anything on your car unobtanium yet? There's a few parts on mine that are no longer in production and have a decent failure rate, so used is the only option.
                            I like the "angles" on the car. Especially being a convertible. It reminds me of the F117 stealth fighter. Most of the car has similar angles in it's design. If that makes sense.

If I was going to do much at all with it I'd opt for an LS. Since I'm a cheapo I'd probably go 5.3. Lol But it's staying L98 for sure.

I haven't found anything that's really hard to get. Yet. I haven't messed with it at all. Just looked around. I'm sure there are quite a few items that I'll never find if I need them. But I hope I never have to find out.

Owning a Ford with a big block, a 2g DSM and a Honda I'm delighted to see how affordable most Chevrolet parts are. Anything not Corvette related is readily available and cheap. Like anything engine related is cheap. Same with the transmission. That's a nice change.

As for the insurance that's an unexpected surprise for me. I wish my Honda and truck were cheaper to insure. But I'll take the win on the Vette. It helps.

Comment

I asked the previous owners if they could answer some questions and tell me a little more about the car. I know both the previous owners, my father in law and the individual he bought the car off of 3 years ago.

The wheels aren't ZR-1 wheels, they're off a 96 Corvette.

Heads are aluminum 113 Corvette D port heads. As opposed to 083 or 081 Camaro heads.

The block and both heads are numbers matching to the car.

The original owner of the car who I know personally had a shop in Cedar Rapids IA build the car. Originally he wanted to replace the L98 with a GM crate engine and go carburetor. However the shop advised him not to as they were more concerned about depreciating the value of the car. They reccomended doing as much as they could to the L98 for the same cost as a crate engine while keeping it numbers matching.

I thought the engine had 30,000 on it since it was built give or take. Apparently it has about half that. The odometer reads 93,000 and the engine was built at 79,000.

The 113 aluminum heads have an aftermarket set of 2.0/1.570 valves installed. They're moderately ported and flow 230 or 240cfm. The original owner provided me with this information and believes they flow at 230cfm but isn't certain if it 230 or 240.

The pistons are flat tops in .030 and gives it a 10.25:1 compression ratio.

The bottom end is all factory replacement, stock rod and main journals. L98's are two bolt mains. It has a standard volume and pressure oil pump.

The rotating assembly was balanced. Stock crank and rods with aftermarket replacement pistons.

The car is an imposter 35th anniversary edition. It has the badges and decals of a 35th anniversary edition but it's not a real 35th edition car. The real 35th anniversary edition is a white on white on white coupe. Real Corvette enthusiasts will notice this immediately. Corvette enthusiast I'm not and I still don't care for it having the incorrect badges.

The 700r4 transmission has a shift kit and the shift points modified. It shifts about 200rpm higher in every gear. And of course it has a little higher than factory stall converter.

The car has a $6300 paint job and a $2000 Greenwood graphics kit.

The original owner bought the car new, paid just over $30,000 in '89 and drove it occasionally until 2008. They spent 3 years building it (having it built mostly) and had the graphics kit installed along with new paint when it was completed in 2011. My father in law bought it in 2015 for $7500. He put 5,000 miles on it since and I bought it for $5,000.

The original owner bought an '06 Z06 in early 2015 and quickly lost interest in this C4.

That's the story on the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X