H23 Intake Manifold on F22a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H23 Intake Manifold on F22a

Hey Guys, I've searched around but I have't been able to find good answers.
    There's a yard near me with a Prelude with a H23 intake in it that I want to grab tomorrow.

Does that IAB "black box" have to come from a F22a6, or should that box be sitting in this prelude?

Do I need a different ECU?...

Say I put this intake on my F22a1, what else do I need to do? (besides putting that vacuum box for the intake butterflies, and ECU) Anything else that needs to be done when I do the swap?

Thanks for helping me with these noobish questions, I can't seem to figure out what doing this swap even looks like, LOL.
    I'm faster then a prius

Should be the same box, or at least close enough that you can use the one in the Prelude.

You just need the vacuum box and a PT6 ECU. Hook up the vacuum lines, add wires, and install the ECU. It won't work properly if you don't use the PT6 and wire it correctly.
    Getting an F22A6 camshaft would also be useful, since the ECU will be tuned for it. Won't make a huge difference, but it would be noticeable. The A1 cam won't hurt anything with the PT6, though.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Should be the same box, or at least close enough that you can use the one in the Prelude.

You just need the vacuum box and a PT6 ECU. Hook up the vacuum lines, add wires, and install the ECU. It won't work properly if you don't use the PT6 and wire it correctly.
      Getting an F22A6 camshaft would also be useful, since the ECU will be tuned for it. Won't make a huge difference, but it would be noticeable. The A1 cam won't hurt anything with the PT6, though.
      That is super helpful, thank you!

Amazing how hard it is to get simple answers like that from searches, haha.

I'll probably run without the A6 cam for the time-being, but if I come across one I'll grab it and plan on installing it later.
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

This really rings a bell... I recall having an issue in this area. As I recall, the H23A1 black box is different than the F22A6. I had a mounting issue of some sort... man I wish I could remember. But I know the black box I had, which I'm almost positive came from a F22A6 as I never found an H23A1 with the I/M in the JY, wouldn't mount right. I mounted it anyway but I remember it wasn't right.

I'd grab the H23A1 black box too.

Comment

Small stuff like that can probably be zip tied if it won't just bolt up. I had a feeling it wouldn't mount the same, but the function should be identical, right?

Comment

I wish I could remember better. I'm getting Alzheimer's before 30 it seems.

I found a different bolt as I recall, extended the vacuum line and used the single bolt cinched down to hold it in there. There is a flat spot with a bolt hole as I recall. Either a 10mm or 12mm.

Zip ties would work I presume. If done right it could look tidy.

Both boxes function the same, yes. Or mine did anyhow. The H23A1 black box I broke the nipple on doing something. An oil pressure switch I think. So I swapped one off an F22A6 mani I had. Once operational both worked the same.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Small stuff like that can probably be zip tied if it won't just bolt up. I had a feeling it wouldn't mount the same, but the function should be identical, right?
              Yup, that's exactly what I did with my H23 intake manifold. Just zip tied the black box to the firewall and ran longer vacuum lines to it. Works great.

Comment

when i was fiddling with an H23 intake at the yard i did not see the box like the F22a6, instead it had a vacuum operated syatem much like the EGR; under low rpm while there is vacuum the valve holds the butterfly valves closed and on WOT the vacuum is lost which causes the valve to open. in the link below you can see the vacuum operated valve on the right

https://www.google.com/search?q=h23+...R8FkF-MQn5YfM:
                [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

There is a black box under the intake. Or supposed to be. If someone ran what most people refer to as the "vacuum pod" directly to vacuum then people say the IAB's open early or late or whatever. I don't remember which one I just know I ran mine correctly, it worked as it should and you couldn't see it as it was under the I/M in the factory location.

Edit... Looky here. What turns up in a google search.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206496

https://www.google.com/search?q=h23a...wp7niscDcBXSM:

As can be seen, I had a damper box. And it did work btw. I remember that now. First time I tired that. Wouldn't even mess with that these days. Too much effort wasted. But I put that intake manifold on two or three Accords though. The first two were with the H23A1 IAB box that broke.

But, I guess that sums up what I was referring to. Been so long since I messed with this stuff. Continue on.

Still yet, get the IAB box off the H23A1 I/M. It's there attached to it. Beats finding another one. The nipples break, the solenoid thing on the side cracks out or rusts. The vent cap comes off etc. It's just best to grab it for a spare if nothing else. Cause let me tell you, when your looking for one there won't be any. That's what happened to me.
                  Last edited by H311RA151N; 05-07-2017, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that man as I did not see it, I learned something new.

Comment

Vacuum operated Iab's like the one you saw will open early. My butt Dino noticed a little tourqe loss with them functioning that way. You will want a black box and pt6. I have only run a6 cams and feel like that's where all the gain over an a1 lies though you should jump on that manifold while you can.
                      ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

So I got the H23 intake and box today. I don't know what you guys are talking about with the vacuum box bolting to the firewall, it's underneath the manifold

Question, is a stacker worth it? Does the stacker increase power with the stock PT6 ECU, or is it for people with tunable ECUs?

I'm looking at this stacker on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220-Racing-H...FVos2P&vxp=mtr

I'll need an extra gasket, and longer bolts correct?
                        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                          So I got the H23 intake and box today. I don't know what you guys are talking about with the vacuum box bolting to the firewall, it's underneath the manifold

Question, is a stacker worth it? Does the stacker increase power with the stock PT6 ECU, or is it for people with tunable ECUs?

I'm looking at this stacker on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220-Racing-H...FVos2P&vxp=mtr

I'll need an extra gasket, and longer bolts correct?
                          Yes, it's worth it, even with the PT6.

Yes you'll need another IAB gasket and 3 A/C compressor bolts from a CB7, and 2 A/C compressor bolts from a early 90's (pre 92) Prelude.
                          Originally posted by Mishakol129
                          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Sorry to jack your thread Gtron but I believe this question would be pertinent, are the IAB plates interchangeable between the A6, H23 and H22? I know some folks here were gutting them and using them stacked but I wonder if they are interchangeable?

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                              Yes, it's worth it, even with the PT6.

Yes you'll need another IAB gasket and 3 A/C compressor bolts from a CB7, and 2 A/C compressor bolts from a early 90's (pre 92) Prelude.
                              Awesome, I'll do that then. Where do I place it? On top of the IABs (seems most common) or below them?

Thanks!
                              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Working...
                              X