Painting your Stock Grill emblem any color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting your Stock Grill emblem any color

Ok i did this thread because i was just messing around and thought it would work better than painting over the front of the emblem. I have provided step by step pics and instuctions to help. The ultimate choice for you is the COLOR you chose to do this. Enjoy!!

before you begin to read some recomendations...

use a fairly new grill emblem**
    try not to drop the lil peice of plasic!
    **the older it is the front will look like really hazy and not so glossy

the grill i have used is from the 92-93 grill. IT IS A BROKEN PEICE FROM THE 92-93 GRILL!! this may not be the same for a 90-91 grill, sorry. i cannot find any of those grills to see. i am using just a peice of a grill i found in a junk yard.

using a scribe (pictured below the emblem) or something with a small sharp tip pry the CLEAR emblem from the CHROME as pictured.

now once it is appart remove all the double sided tape used to hold it on. these are some reasons why to use a fairly new grill. as you can see the chrome 'H' came right off. water has made that possible. in my case i kept it but in this DIY, i have an idea for all you TYPE R guys out there so keep reading...

now i used 320 grit sand paper. although it is the back side i dont recomend NOT using a really rough sandpaper. begin to remove the black paint that is on the back side of the emblem. if you have left the chrome 'H' on there then be careful not to sand through the chrome. if you chose to remove the chrome carefully remove it without removing o much of the plastic. removing too much plastic can cause the 'H' spot to look a lil' different once done.

once done it should look something like this...

wash the emblem and let dry to prep for paint. use masking tape or painters tape to tape of the front. if you have left the chrome on your 'H' then just tape the front and only the front. the chrome can be painted over. if you have removed the chrome or it has came off itself the tape the back side of the emblem. be aware of the recessed 'H' spot becase the tape may break as you press the tape FIRMLY on the back side.
    Last edited by 92accord803; 04-12-2008, 10:54 AM.
    92accord803

use a sharp new razor to remove the tape from the 'H' area.**
    **that is if you have removed the crome from the emblem.

***For guys and gals with the CHROME 'H'.***
    make sure the tape on the front of the emblem it on there good so no over spray can get on it. paint the back of the emblem with your choice or color and let dry.

**Without the CHROME 'H'**
    make sure the tape is pressed firmly on the edges of the removed 'H' and the front side. with your color of choice paint your 'H' and let dryi used red to get a red 'H'. then remove the tape from the BACKSIDE ONLY! once the tape is removed paint the remainder of the backside with a differnt color of choice, i used white to have a white background color. like the ITR wheel center caps...

it should look something like this once dry and flipped over of course...

use some clear epoxy, not alot, or some super glue, again not alot, to attach the emblem back to the grill peice. and its done!!
    it should look something like the one below.

NOW THAT A GOOD MATCH FOR THE GUYS AND GALS WITH TYPE R WHEELS ON CB7s HERE!!

and here is mine that i did for my car before i wrote this DIY so you can get the big picture of what it looks like on the car. mine also still has the CHROME on the 'H'. just remember, THIS ONE BELOW ISN'T THE SAME EMBLEM ABOVE.

I HOPE THIS WORKS OUT GOOD FOR YOU ALL. THANKS!! AND GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by 92accord803; 04-08-2008, 09:23 PM.
    92accord803

Comment

thanks man i appreciate it, when ever i get time ill do mine over again and post how it came out

To some people, a car is a car. But to people like us, its so much more than just a car. Its a getaway. Its our hiding spot. Its our comfort. Its an extension of ourselves.

Comment

no problem hommie im glad to help. i hope to see progress on your CB man.
        92accord803

Comment

I always wondered how they do it. I didn't think the plastic comes off. Nice DIY.
          NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

Comment

So you didnt pull the backside off, you pried the front plastic off and painted it that way

And im lost as to how you went from this:

To this:

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
            Originally posted by Jarrett
            Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
              So you didnt pull the backside off, you pried the front plastic off and painted it that way

And im lost as to how you went from this:

To this:

the pictures above are two differnt ones. the white one is the DIY done in white with the red 'H'.
              the one on my car is the one that i acually did first and put on my CB and still has the chrome 'H' in it.
              i pictured them both so that you and others can get the idea of what it can look like if the chrome is on it or if you remove everything and decide repainting completely.
              just really read it more and you'll understand it alot better.
              92accord803

Comment

I read it over a few times, and....

Anyway, now i see what you did. Not sure why you'd remove the chrome H, but..to each their own.

I read somewhere that you can remove the emblem and something on the back, then paint the backside

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

i didnt intentionally remove the chrome from the 'H', the age of the old emblem the chrome just came off... so i did the DYI showing that method of removing the chrome with instructions with leaving the chrome on the 'H' as well.

are you sure your reading this DYI?
                  92accord803

Comment

No, but i am reading the D-I-Y

Maybe i just dont see it..

I would think that even if the H came out, you just clena it up a bit and put it back in. Like i said, i dont see why you'd wanna take the H out...

Comment

this is what i wanted to do but didnt know how
                      now i do
                      good job and great diy

93 Accord SE no tranny:Parting out
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...52#post2070752

86 Ford Ranger fuel problem

Explorer Fund:$1595.23

Comment

Working...
                      X