No announcement yet.

Old cell phone battery theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the Nokia 920 and my only complaint is its battery.

Depending on what I'm doing, obviously videos wear it down a lot and multi-tasking like music and games, it won't last the 8 hours of class I have on some days.

It also runs extremely hot. I have an emulator to play Pokemon and after about an hour, I feel my fingers getting warmer and if I play any longer than that, the back and especially the screen will get really hot.

I've had the phone since November and it was one of the first things I noticed.

Sucks because I can't even change batteries to a newer/better one due a closed shell. :/

Comment

Shit! I forgot they announced it.
      I'll go check and see for a release date.

My battery does get warm unnecessarily fast.

Today my battery icon was showing as a red question mark.
      I might need a new battery if the S4 isn't coming out soon.
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Check your battery, is it bulging? Do you leave it plugged in even after it's fully charged? You say you're rooted, have you gone into CWM and reset your battery stats? Also:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...e-battery.html
        Originally posted by Mishakol129
        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

I would say that his battery has exceeded the battery life, the HTC Incredible was released... 3, maybe 4 years ago.. That's a long time for a cell phone battery to hold charge.

For instance, I use a battery for my cochlear implant. Battery usually lasts about 12 hours a day, brand new. It'll hold a decent charge after being recharged every day, for about a year. So, anything more than two years out of a small battery is quite a good life.
          92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
          2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
          2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

That's highly possible. Geoff I bought my batteries off Ebay for $3/ea from thebatteryconnection, have lasted me quite awhile now.
            Originally posted by Mishakol129
            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
              Shit! I forgot they announced it.
              I'll go check and see for a release date.

My battery does get warm unnecessarily fast.

Today my battery icon was showing as a red question mark.
              I might need a new battery if the S4 isn't coming out soon.
              Based on Samsung's track record, if they officially announced it today, it's not coming out for at least a month. I have a MyTouch 4G as my backup phone, uses the same battery. I got a spare one from ebay for $5.

Comment

I didn't read the whole thread, sorry!

I also have an original HTC Incredible. I just replaced the battery at the new year.

Lithium chemistries don't develop the "plateaus" you're theorizing. They simply become less and less efficient at the redox reaction, leading to poorer and poorer cycle life.

I have a feeling that the problem you're experiencing is rooted by the fact that your battery (well, there's only one cell, but whatever; let's call it a battery) has significantly reduced cycle life. But, there is a man in the middle: the "battery" has an integrated "smart" circuitry, and that is what the phone directly interacts with, as opposed to the cells themselves. This smart circuitry not only acts to protect from overcharge/discharge, but it also can effectively trick the phone into thinking incorrect things about the state (depth of charge) of the cells, just like a laptop battery. Couple that with the "smart" battery/power control circuitry/firmware and software on the phone, and you have a very strong case for supporting the type of battery reporting behavior you are seeing.

Of course, it's also possible that the power control circuitry on the device itself has gone bad, or that there's an issue with the battery reporting/monitoring software on your particular ROM. The easiest and cheapest way to tell is simply to replace the battery. I have a spare one if you're willing to pay (plus ship), though it'd probably be cheaper just to buy one on your own.

Comment

dysfunk is absolutely spot-on regarding cycle life of lithium; they simply don't last beyond 300-500 charge cycles. Mind you, that means that after 300-500 full charge cycles (that doesn't mean "full charge, followed by full discharge, repeat", though; it can be in any order), you drop to 85 to 90 percent of the original full state. And it does not decrease linearly from there, it is probably much worse than linear, as you are experiencing.

Comment

Originally posted by sandman61377 View Post

If that's how you feel, you must only have delt with the original Curve, which came out in 2007. I've owned 2 iphones, two android phones, and I'm on my fourth BlackBeryy (what can I say, I'm rough on phones), plus my best friend manages a T-Mobile store, so I can spend hours playing with almost any of the latest phones I want, and aside from front face chat, there is NOTHING that ios or android can do that the last batch off BB's with the traditional os can't do. And the Z10, the first BB with the all-new BB os 10 on it, is sick. The developement unit (which has half the ram of the production unit) beats out the Galaxy S III in every speed test they can throw at it, and has a higher html5 score than the desktop version of Chrome. For the month of February, it out-sold every other phone in Canada, and in every country its been released in, it has sold like hotcakes. Comes out in the US within the next week and a half, depending on which carrier.

I actually never owned a curve.

I owned two BB 8800's.

They were great phones, and I had 0 problems with them and ,yes, the battery was phenomenal.

As far as the z10...

sorry but it's still just a BB with only 70k apps available and it only has a dual core processor and only 720p.....

So basically its stuck in 2009 and, like I said, it has great battery life and good support for Enterprise.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/p...alaxy/1990035/

If you like it that's fine, but it isn't even coming close to touching anything current today.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post

I owned two BB 8800's.

They were great phones, and I had 0 problems with them and ,yes, the battery was phenomenal.

As far as the z10...

sorry but it's still just a BB with only 70k apps available and it only has a dual core processor and only 720p.....

So basically its stuck in 2009 and, like I said, it has great battery life and good support for Enterprise.

If you like it that's fine, but it isn't even coming close to touching anything current today.
                      II just looked at the link for the s4. That is one hell of a phone. Apple just can't keep up with android. My DROID 4 which was put out way before the iPhone 5 still has better specs than it. I looks like to me that apple is following steve jobs to the grave. The wicked cool shit that apple put out is no longer there. Its all going down hill.
                      visit vgruk

Comment

http://m.techradar.com/news/phone-an...atures-1089523

The S4 will sport a 1.6GHz octo-core processor.
                        92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
                        2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
                        2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

I had thought the battery was $40.
                          I looked on Amazon and found it for ~$5.
                          It should be here soon.

Oddly enough, I found this out at work:
                          When I drop the phone on my desk, from maybe 6 inches up, it will shut off.
                          When I turn it back on, it's gone from 80% to 15%.
                          I dropped it again, and it went back up to 42%.

....That's when I decided to order the battery.

That link for the S4 makes it sound very enticing.
                          The issue I'm worried about is I like to root my phones. If I root that, I'll likely lose all those fancy software features. Software is what really sets that phone apart.
                          MRT
                          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                          Originally posted by Tippey764
                          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post

I owned two BB 8800's.

As far as the z10...

The Z10 is internally nearly identicle to the US Galaxy S 3, so the best you can get from that argument is a year behind spec-wise, but somehow it beats the S3 in every speed test there is for a phone (except booting up from full off, of all things). Quite frankly, android, tho a nice os, is generally so bloated that it NEEDS higher specs to keep up speed-wise with phones that are "less powerful". The BB10 os is far more efficiant of a mobile operating system. And since the S3 beats the iPhone 5 in real-world speed tests, its pretty safe to presume that the Z10 does, too. Specs don't mean a thing if the operating system doesn't make good use of them.
                            I'd guess with the 720p you're reffering to is the screen resolution, but with displays this small, 1080p vs 720p is a useless comparison. The ppi (pixels per inch) is the display number you need to look at. The iPhone 4 introduced the retina display, which displays a higher ppi than the human eye can detect, and its "only" 720p. The Galaxy S3 and BlackBerry Z10 both have a higher ppi than the retina display, so in the resolution area, they're all actually better than what your eye can see.
                            And just an fyi, the BB 8800 came out the same year as the original curve and had a very similar spec list and the same version os. As far as I can find, it just looks like it had a better quality casing than the curves.

Originally posted by RyanD View Post
                            II just looked at the link for the s4. That is one hell of a phone. Apple just can't keep up with android. My DROID 4 which was put out way before the iPhone 5 still has better specs than it. I looks like to me that apple is following steve jobs to the grave. The wicked cool shit that apple put out is no longer there. Its all going down hill.
                            The Galaxy S4 is a joke to me. The octo-core processor is not really an eight core chip, its two quad core chips, which will never under ANY circumstances run at the same time. And the US is "only" getting a quad-core version, so essentially we're getting the international version of the S3 with a slightly bigger screen (outside the US, the S3 is quad-core, in the US, its dual core). Also note that the vast majority of apps on any platform can't make use of more than two cores, even among games. The tilt-scrollling in the S4 is not system-wide, the app has to be specifically written for it, so even when the phone comes out, there'll only be a bare handfull of apps that can use it. And really, all the other new software features sound very gimmicky to me. Samsung basically did exactly what I hear most android users complain about with new version of the iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by sandman61377 View Post
                              The Z10 is internally nearly identicle to the US Galaxy S 3, so the best you can get from that argument is a year behind spec-wise, but somehow it beats the S3 in every speed test there is for a phone (except booting up from full off, of all things). Quite frankly, android, tho a nice os, is generally so bloated that it NEEDS higher specs to keep up speed-wise with phones that are "less powerful". The BB10 os is far more efficiant of a mobile operating system. And since the S3 beats the iPhone 5 in real-world speed tests, its pretty safe to presume that the Z10 does, too. Specs don't mean a thing if the operating system doesn't make good use of them.
                              I'd guess with the 720p you're reffering to is the screen resolution, but with displays this small, 1080p vs 720p is a useless comparison. The ppi (pixels per inch) is the display number you need to look at. The iPhone 4 introduced the retina display, which displays a higher ppi than the human eye can detect, and its "only" 720p. The Galaxy S3 and BlackBerry Z10 both have a higher ppi than the retina display, so in the resolution area, they're all actually better than what your eye can see.
                              And just an fyi, the BB 8800 came out the same year as the original curve and had a very similar spec list and the same version os. As far as I can find, it just looks like it had a better quality casing than the curves.
                              Well if it is only as good as the S3, or even beating it, that's fine, but the S3 is not a new phone.

Congrats, Blackberry created a phone that is better then a year old phone.

The S4 that will be coming out, as mentioned, is a Octocore....if it is only a quad core, that is still better then the dual core that the z10 has, which is still behind the times.

I have the Moto Droid Maxx, and for the first time, Android did not feel bloated.

In the past it was, but that is not an OS problem, that is a problem introduced at the carrier level. Android does not come shipped with all that bs bloatware, the carriers load down the phones with it.

With the newer processors, project butter, and Jelly Bean, Android is as fast as ever.

Toting that a phone beats the iPhone 5 doesn't do much for me either, as I believe that's a dual core and iPhones aren't that fast to begin with.

As far as the display, yes you're right, ppi is what's important, but a matrix is not only pixels, but also voxels and the relative size.

The better resolution comes from cramming as many pixels into the matrix as possible.

So a bigger matrix with a fuckton of pixels, makes for the best image.

Please take that retina bs elsewhere....retina is just what they call it, but the tech is Samsungs and it is not anything 'groundbreaking' lol.

In any case, im excited to see what it does, but I just feel like it's too little too late.

It might outsell outside the US, but I highly doubt it will knock Android or Apple out of the top 2.

We all remember how well the "playbook" did. lol.
                              Last edited by Ralphie; 03-18-2013, 09:36 AM.

Comment

The north american release of the Samsung Galaxy S4 will have the fastest clocked, and most processing power of any phone on the market. The Octo-core thing is indeed a gimmick, and I hadn't bothered to look into it until sandman said something. I'm saddened Samsung is marketing it this way. In a nutshell: it's two quad-core processors, one is a newer ARM processor, clocked at 1.6 GHz, and for each core on that processor, there is an "older" ARM core, clocked at 1.2 GHz, which is more power efficient. Sounds like a waste of silicon to me, but they wanted that marketing gimmick.

Either way, the Galaxy S4 is not to be taken lightly, especially the North American release.

That said, I'm more than content with my HTC Incredible and it's single core 1 GHz processor. I just wish it had a little more RAM so that HTC could put a newer version of Android on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X