No announcement yet.

Man i-phone woes lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Nokia 925, and it's set up for Qi wireless charging, but you have to buy an adapter plate for it to work.

Comment

I ended up walking into a local Apple reseller this evening and got a 6 Plus. No shame.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFunk View Post
        The app market is a similar setup to the iOS App Store. I don't use a ton of apps and most of the ones I use are pretty mainstream, so I had no issue getting back on my feet for apps. I don't actually recall seeing any advertising or at least not like what you see in free apps on an iPhone.
        The battery life is a little better than any of my iPhones, but I feel like it takes a lot longer to charge. Thinking about it though it's probably better as far as preserving the quality of your battery. The 1520 has a MUCH bigger battery, I think the icon might also have a bigger battery. I hear that they're looking into making the batteries replaceable in the next generation of Lumia.
        Not sure about wireless charging, not something I'm really interested in.

Go down to an At&t store and play with one. I messed around a bit with the HTC One M8 and the 1020 and I liked the 1020 a lot more... But the camera was a big deciding factor too.

Edit: And if anyone else has Windows Phone questions ask away, the only thing that would make this phone better would be for more people to jump on the bandwagon so that more developers will follow.
        How is Cortana? I really haven't been into the digital assistant thing but I liked Halo

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

i still own a dumb phone. i buy my phones super cheap and secondhand. i kind of follow the reduce, reuse, recycle motto, which is also probably why my cb is still going as a daily driver. i cant for the life of me justify spending $500 on something i just don't need and the plans can be pricey too. i save a lot of $$$ owning a bar phone and keeping a talk/text only plan. that $$$ is going towards parts for my car. sorry, i just don't have the extra $$$ for a smartphone. also, it seems folks only keep them for 2 years or so- i want something that will last longer than that. and the battery life sucks! i see my friends charge their iphones daily and my phone lasts 1 week! personally, i kinda hate how folks seem to be all into their phones and not actually communicate in person anymore- so rude! yes, the internet is useful (this forum is great help!) and there is a time and place for it, but that's at home on my computer, not when i am going out with folks! also, i still call people.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            How is Cortana? I really haven't been into the digital assistant thing but I liked Halo
            So far I really like it. It's not that different from Siri, it's just much faster and more accurate voice recognition (for my voice at least).

RIP my last two CB7s.
            New rides:
            '82 Volvo 245 drift project
            '87 Volvo 244 daily
            Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Originally posted by ontheroad92 View Post
              i still own a dumb phone. i buy my phones super cheap and secondhand. i kind of follow the reduce, reuse, recycle motto, which is also probably why my cb is still going as a daily driver. i cant for the life of me justify spending $500 on something i just don't need and the plans can be pricey too. i save a lot of $$$ owning a bar phone and keeping a talk/text only plan. that $$$ is going towards parts for my car. sorry, i just don't have the extra $$$ for a smartphone. also, it seems folks only keep them for 2 years or so- i want something that will last longer than that. and the battery life sucks! i see my friends charge their iphones daily and my phone lasts 1 week! personally, i kinda hate how folks seem to be all into their phones and not actually communicate in person anymore- so rude! yes, the internet is useful (this forum is great help!) and there is a time and place for it, but that's at home on my computer, not when i am going out with folks! also, i still call people.
              2 years is actually kinda long for most. Normally (especially with Sprint) it's a year as you have an upgrade yearly.

I really wish more people not necessarily are like you but thought about what you just said rather. Most people live of their phones. It's kinda like "What about these people around you? How in the hell did you ever meet anyone to communicate with on your phone going through life like you do?" But there are so many devices that take away the "natural aspect" of life.

Honestly, I think that's where we are at in the world today. It's like "here is an iPhone, go back to not paying attention. We will handle everything out here, you just stick your nose in that phone." So not only are they unaware of anything and everything around them, they are also fed what ever "media" that device provides. That has a lot of control and has a huge impact on society.

People have forgot how to live without these devices. I understand it's not peoples fault, to make it by now days you need a cellular phone. They can also save your life or save someone else's. But they are in peoples lives to much. There is a whole planet out there, you only live once and your going to spend it looking at a stupid little screen? I cannot help but be aware of the portion of my life I have wasted on devices and such.

Luckily, when I was a kid I got a glimpse of the world without cell phones, iPods and laptops. I'm really glad I have those memories. Technology is great and is necessary, but it seems with most advancements people forget how to do something due not having to do it. In a sense those skills are lost. Not everything is like that, I understand. But they don't even teach cursive in school anymore. The Constitution and Bill of Rights are in cursive... I'm not saying we need to go back to using washboards, but if you took all these devices away, people wouldn't be able to survive. More of a happy medium would be great.

Not to mention, like I said earlier, those devices control a great portion of ones life. It's reality. You have people doing less, liking it, forgetting or simply not knowing any other way of doing things, then on to the next technological break through. So... where does this end? Before long are we actually going to be living at all? The scary thing about it is there is no way around it. Without computer skills and a cell phone you cannot hardly get a job. So even the people like me who do not want to get to involved in these things has to. That, to me, is called complete control. There has never been a person or a corporation say "Ok, I don't want anymore money or power. I have enough." They want more and more. So in that light, the more they make people need these devices, the better off they are. Again, where does this end?

I was riding a bike when I was a kid. Now kids are sitting down playing COD. COD is fun, but being obese at 13 sucks. And how common that is now days is a whole hell of a lot more than it was when I was a kid. The life expectancy is definitely going to decrease with these younger generations. People are going to be unable to work, have medical bills all the time, not feel well or feel like doing anything. As technology advances, it could be directed and instated differently, but it hasn't been. It is what it is and when texting while driving deaths are damn near a epidemic there is a problem. When people are so unhealthy and obese, more so than ever in history, there is a problem. Maybe it will be corrected and has already been aknolwedged. But I don't see any major corporations taking money out of their own pockets anytime soon.

Anyways, everyone carry on. I tend to go out on these limbs as most know by now. I'm a weirdo I guess.

Comment

Nice rant. You aren't the only one. I think we're the same age ish (25 in Nov for me) and all I had was a tv, a basic Nintendo, action figures and outside. I spent most of my time at recreational events during the summer and extracurriculars in school. If people actually had to survive...I mean go out and hunt/forge there would be instant population control.

On the other side of the fence, I love new technology. Some of the devices these companies are coming out with make life so much easier that you barely even have to do anything. That computer job that you just got? Yep, that's been made easier by a team of programmers that made some software to pretty much run the show. Even for the hobbiest/enthusiast, with a little bit of reading and the vast knowledge base that is the internet, you can learn, build, make literally everything and anything. But people are not using it to it's full capacity. They'd rather sit around and play games or stay on social media for hours at a time. That really irritates me...but in the long run it's good for the hard workers that make better use of their time.

As far as the overweight 6, 7, 8 year olds? That deserves another thread as it is absolutely pathetic. Your child should not be pushing 200lbs at that age! Now these smartphone companies are coming out with health and fitness devices to sell to lazy people who will buy them in hopes that it will magically make their weight fall off.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Calm down buddy haha.

The people who are "glued" to their phones and unaware of life around them, while it may seem lile a lot, actually make up a small % of the population.

Most people just use their devices like everyone else.

You make good points. Im 31, I remember clear as day life before the tech bubble. It was fantastic, but I would not trade it. I love my PS3. I love my HTC. My Asus tablet. My 2006 macbook. My 60'' LG Plasma.

My phone has an IR blaster and I can control my tv, my cable box, and my surround sound with out 3 remotes.

I can also remote in to my tablet, and my 2 other PCs.

And lets not even get me started on my camera gear.

Wireless triggers for remotely controlling flash units.

Tech is amazing and the people who let it control their lives and miss out on life, were doomed from the beginning.

Comment

I downloaded health and fitness apps... used them once.

Actually, I use "map my walk" fairly frequently. It keeps track of my speed, distance, and time moving. It also draws a map of my path. It's pretty nifty, and free (aside from data, of which I have unlimited... so free for me!) I like to walk and listen to audiobooks. I haven't really done so in a while, though... and now the pants that once fell off of me without a belt barely fit anymore. I need to get my fat ass back outside!

I agree, though. I grew up in a pre-internet world. My time waster as a kid was Nindendo (then Super Nintendo, followed by N64 and Playstation.) Even then, I spent LOTS of time playing outside, riding my bike, participating in my highschool band, taking martial arts classes, playing Magic: The Gathering like a nerd (and even designing my own card game with my friend...)
                    I didn't get a computer until I was 17 (1997). We had dialup AOL with limited minutes at first, so online time was short. There was far less to do online at that time as well! Still, I remember realizing I spent too much time online when my conversations in my dreams were accompanied by AOL instant message sounds!
                    I didn't get a cell phone until I was 21, and I didn't get a smartphone until I was 28 or 29. My first smartphone was a used iPhone 1, so the internet speeds on that were still a bit slow, and the apps available were rather limited. Useful for some things, but not a total time suck.

Now, with my iPhone 5, high speed cable internet (and I have the basic package, not the fast one!) and all the streaming video, social media, pirated music, and games I could ever want at my fingertips (and in my pocket)... it's noticeable.
                    My girl and I can barely spend a few minutes together without one of us picking up our phones to check something. We can't watch a movie or TV show without checking IMDB on our phones (and for me, IMCDB ) If I leave my house without my phone, I'm in a mild state of panic.
                    I've even started using my phone for work. I used to carry a laptop to edit my spreadsheets, and a camera to take pictures of the properties I was inspecting. I even used an MP3 player for music in my car while I drove around. Now, the phone does all 3. It plays music. It takes pictures. It has a spreadsheet app that works well.

Comment

I guess I was meant for a different time. I'm also a pretty different person than most of you all. Which is cool. I just cannot see things other peoples way all the time. I would have to disagree with people who live on their devices being a small portion of society. It's also depending on what one considers a small portion of society. Like I stated, the effects are clearly evident.

There is a place for everything everyone here has mentioned as well. It's all positive and useful. Great technological advances that we can all benefit from. But unfortunately it's not all icing on the cake.

There is a difference in making things easier and being lazy. A remote on a phone? I used to have a Zenith TV with UHF VHF knobs. How easy does stuff need to be?

It's not directly technology. It's people misusing it. It's like fire. It can be really good if used in one way, or be really bad if used another way.

Another fact is with things getting easier, people lose the knowledge on how to do it for themselves. If we ever have a massive solar flare people are going to lose their fuckin' minds. I'm laughing now but it might not be so funny is something like that happens. People won't have the slightest clue on what to do.

People are not making their lives easier throughout the day only to get off early and hit the lake or jump on a mountain bike. That's not how hardly anyone uses it. They will sit there and tell you they do but that's not fact. They head home to cook dinner and watch the voice. The only outdoors they see is on the way to a from work or the grocery store. Meanwhile the outdoors is being destroyed to produce those devices...

Not to mention where does most of their money go? Into devices and such. Not into canoeing or carpentry or anything else physical. IMO hitting buttons isn't physical. Not everyone hits buttons all day but they do it more than they do anything else. I feel like a bit of a hypocrite but I hold myself accountable as well and throw myself in with "they". I'm not no where near the stereotype but I'm hitting buttons more than I should.

People cannot even jog down the road or on a bicycle without having some form of media going into their ears. I mean jogging is good but how can people think? Maybe that's the point. It seems every hole we have in our body people have to try and fill it with something all at once.

Just because things are easier doesn't mean it's always better for you. I guess what I'm saying is that's hard for some to grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                        Calm down buddy haha.

The people who are "glued" to their phones and unaware of life around them, while it may seem lile a lot, actually make up a small % of the population.

Most people just use their devices like everyone else.

You make good points. Im 31, I remember clear as day life before the tech bubble. It was fantastic, but I would not trade it. I love my PS3. I love my HTC. My Asus tablet. My 2006 macbook. My 60'' LG Plasma.

My phone has an IR blaster and I can control my tv, my cable box, and my surround sound with out 3 remotes.

I can also remote in to my tablet, and my 2 other PCs.

And lets not even get me started on my camera gear.

Wireless triggers for remotely controlling flash units.

Tech is amazing and the people who let it control their lives and miss out on life, were doomed from the beginning.
                        Going to have to agree with this.

In the right hands tech is great, the people that abuse it would be abusing something else if it weren't for it.

I personally use the hell out of the search function on my phone. If I am curious about something, any time or place, I can research it.
                        Without my phone/internet i would not know half of what I know. Nothing is more important than knowledge\education.

RIP my last two CB7s.
                        New rides:
                        '82 Volvo 245 drift project
                        '87 Volvo 244 daily
                        Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheFunk View Post
                          Going to have to agree with this.

In the right hands tech is great, the people that abuse it would be abusing something else if it weren't for it.

I personally use the hell out of the search function on my phone. If I am curious about something, any time or place, I can research it.
                          Without my phone/internet i would not know half of what I know. Nothing is more important than knowledge\education.
                          I agree. I'm a Google mechanic most of the time myself. That is extremely useful.

I would say technology is most definitely being abused wide scale. And "those people" are not always like you and I. The NSA for example. I will leave that subject at that.

I love watching Netflix now days. Man do they have a ton of educational videos. National Geographic galore. I'm not a believer in aliens but I love watching alien videos. And there are quite a few now. Netflix in the last few months has gotten down right awesome. Hell, I even like watching Ink Master!

Comment

:d
                            Originally posted by h311ra151n View Post
                            Another Fact Is With Things Getting Easier, People Lose The Knowledge On How To Do It For Themselves. If We Ever Have A Massive Solar Flare People Are Going To Lose Their Fuckin' Minds. I'm Laughing Now But It Might Not Be So Funny Is Something Like That Happens. People Won't Have The Slightest Clue On What To Do.

i've Been Sitting On My Ass The Past Week Binge Watching Revolution So I Am Prepared

People Cannot Even Jog Down The Road Or On A Bicycle Without Having Some Form Of Media Going Into Their Ears. I Mean Jogging Is Good But How Can People Think? Maybe That's The Point. It Seems Every Hole We Have In Our Body People Have To Try And Fill It With Something All At Once.

what Kind Of Holes

But Seriously Haven't They Gone As Far As Hooking Up A X-box To A Tread Mill To Get The Obese Youth To Actually Do Some Exercise. I Am With You That A Lot Of This Has Gone Too Far. Atleast someone is doing to try and stop childhood obesity, it is just sad they need a computer screen to do it. People Need To Learn To Do Things Without Plugged Holes. Giggity

Last edited by XCRN; 09-29-2014, 11:11 AM.
                            Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

I'm watching Netflix right now on my second monitor

The internet is a fantastic thing. The amount of knowledge accessible, the avenues of communication that are open, and the instant entertainment options available... the very idea 20 years ago would've seemed like something out of a science fiction tale!
                              Having phones that can access all of that is truly impressive.
                              The internet and all of its wonders can be used, misused, and outright abused... like any piece of technology.

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                                :d

You said it all really. That sums up my aspect pretty well.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                                I'm watching Netflix right now on my second monitor

The internet is a fantastic thing. The amount of knowledge accessible, the avenues of communication that are open, and the instant entertainment options available... the very idea 20 years ago would've seemed like something out of a science fiction tale!
                                Having phones that can access all of that is truly impressive.
                                The internet and all of its wonders can be used, misused, and outright abused... like any piece of technology.
                                I want a second monitor. Yeah after my little tangent I say that. But that's me being honest.

"The internet and all of its wonders can be used, misused, and outright abused... like any piece of technology."

Yup. Simply put. I guess you take the good with the bad and try to limit the bad. That's about all one can do and still get by.

Comment

Working...
                                X