Old cell phone battery theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old cell phone battery theory

My HTC incredible is getting close to 3 years old(Well, the battery is. The phone was replaced once).
    That's a very long time in phone years, especially since everyone around me can't seem to make their phones last for the typical 2.
    I've noticed a linear drop in the capacity of my battery. Only recently, it's become much more exponential.
    Within 5 minutes of the alarm going off this morning, the battery had gone from 100% to 90 %.
    Somewhat understandable. It's an old battery and the phone downloads all the files from overnight, much like a computer first turning on.

Here's where the fun part comes in: My phone has begun randomly shutting off.
    • I'm rooted, and running a very stable ROM.
    • Once the phone comes back on, it's at significantly less battery
    • Once it's back on, there is no exponential power loss. Only maybe 5-10% per hour

This leads me to think:
    The cells are getting old and developing "cracks".
    Once the battery level comes to this "crack", it creates uneven power and the phone shuts off.
    Once it comes back on, it's "destabilized" the linear power draw, and gone to a sort of a "safe" level.
    I commonly see it fall from ~75% to 30%

What do you think?
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Battery definitely needs replacing. I have a HTC Incredible 2. My fiancè also had one but has since upgraded, leaving me with a spare battery. These two dinc2s are two years old.
    92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
    2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Originally posted by dysfunk View Post
      Battery definitely needs replacing. I have a HTC Incredible 2. My fiancè also had one but has since upgraded, leaving me with a spare battery. These two dinc2s are two years old.
      I know. I think it's interesting how it's doing this.

The S4 is being announced tonight. As long as it's decent and less than $200, I'll probably get that.
      I just need this battery to hold out till it's actually released.
      MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

first thing i did with my htc is went to an extended life battery but it seems to drop pretty low fairly quick with heavy use.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
          first thing i did with my htc is went to an extended life battery but it seems to drop pretty low fairly quick with heavy use.
          I'm to the point now where I charge it in the middle of the day.
          I noticed the bad battery life was becoming obtrusive about a year in.
          I've gotten around it in various ways.

When I ride my bike for long distances the GPS of my tracker pisses all over the battery.
          A solar charger solved that!
          MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I bought the Razr Maxx to not deal with this ever again.

I see around 12-22 hrs of battery life on a single charge, depending on use obv.

Comment

Oddly enough my old blackberry got fantastic battery life.
              Like, 3 days between charges battery life.
              MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Ya that's about all Blackberry's have anymore, besides Enterprise.

Comment

My favorite saying once I went to Android:
                  It is everything I wanted the Blackberry to be.
                  MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I have a dumb phone and pay $20/mo and it lasts a week between charges. Do I get a cookie?
                    Originally posted by sweet91accord
                    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                      I have a dumb phone and pay $20/mo and it lasts a week between charges. Do I get a cookie?
                      Only if you can post that on this website in under 10 minutes, from your phone.
                      MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                        You get a sales pitch.

"Get a Smartphone with Verizon Wireless starting at only $99.99 with No Contract for as low as $60 a month! Free Shipping and Activation!"
                        '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
                          I know. I think it's interesting how it's doing this.

The S4 is being announced tonight. As long as it's decent and less than $200, I'll probably get that.
                          I've been waiting for the S4 as well. I'm sure that the S4 16GB is going to be $199. I just recently bought an S3 for $99.99 + invisishield HD, total was around $127. Bestbuy rocks.

About the battery, yeah, it's weird, but of course, I've noticed that when my battery is low on power, my phone goes into full potato mode. All of the issues that you mentioned point towards the battery.
                          2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Oddly enough my old blackberry got fantastic battery life.
                            Like, 3 days between charges battery life.
                            That's not odd at all, BlackBerry's have long been known to have the best battery life of any smartphone.

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                            Ya that's about all Blackberry's have anymore, besides Enterprise.
                            My favorite saying once I went to Android:
                            It is everything I wanted the Blackberry to be.
                            If that's how you feel, you must only have delt with the original Curve, which came out in 2007. I've owned 2 iphones, two android phones, and I'm on my fourth BlackBeryy (what can I say, I'm rough on phones), plus my best friend manages a T-Mobile store, so I can spend hours playing with almost any of the latest phones I want, and aside from front face chat, there is NOTHING that ios or android can do that the last batch off BB's with the traditional os can't do. And the Z10, the first BB with the all-new BB os 10 on it, is sick. The developement unit (which has half the ram of the production unit) beats out the Galaxy S III in every speed test they can throw at it, and has a higher html5 score than the desktop version of Chrome. For the month of February, it out-sold every other phone in Canada, and in every country its been released in, it has sold like hotcakes. Comes out in the US within the next week and a half, depending on which carrier.

I'd just get a new one if I were you. It is possible for a battery that's in that kind of condition to catch fire (though the likeyhood of that is probably pretty low) or damage the phone. You can find them on ebay for less than $10.

Comment

The older a battery gets, the hotter it will run to power the device, which in turn can damage the chips and whatever else inside of the device. Been there done that.. :/ I've repaired several phones that ended up having major issues because of an old or faulty battery.
                              2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Working...
                              X