Wheel Shakes Violently with Brake Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Shakes Violently with Brake Pressure

The car has done this since I've owned it. At speeds 60mph+ when brake pressure is applied, the steering wheel shakes violently to the point where it hurts my freaking wrists. I have no clue what it could be. This is the only time it does it. All my (front) brakes are new and exact spec along with pads, they have been taking care of (correct fluid/amount of fluid, bleed when need be, etc etc).

I replaced the tie rods, cv axles (along with the whole joint of course), wheel bearings and hub bolts and had an alignment done, twice, all very recently as well. The problem neither progressed or improved but remained. It does not pull to one side or the other.

Some things it does need in the undercarriage is bushings in general, along with sway bar bushings. Could bushings really cause the wheel to shake that bad?

Check your radius rods and radius rod bushings.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

What about the rotors? Have they been replaced recently or at all?
      MRT: http://www.cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5748

Comment

Originally posted by djkurious View Post
        What about the rotors? Have they been replaced recently or at all?

Even if they were, new rotors might still need to be resurfaced (I've had to do this before). But rotors could definitely be the issue. It always has been for me in this situation.

Comment

I had stock rotors on the car for about a year and half or so, and they did it even then. I replaced the old stock rotors with aftermarket drilled and slotted rotors about a year ago now. Again the shaking neither progressed or improved when first installed, or even now.

When I check my radius rods, what exactly should I be looking for?

Comment

You should check the bushings and check for proper torque on the rods.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

by my experience, rotors will do that to your car at 60mph. I went threw 2 set of rotors in 6 months. once I got some Brembo blanks, it fixed the issue.

On my second accord, I found out that the new brake pads I installed caused the same issue, even though it did it at speeds less than 40mph.
              are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Did you replace inner and outer tie rods?

It could also be a problem with the steering rack itself.

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord View Post
                  by my experience, rotors will do that to your car at 60mph. I went threw 2 set of rotors in 6 months. once I got some Brembo blanks, it fixed the issue.

On my second accord, I found out that the new brake pads I installed caused the same issue, even though it did it at speeds less than 40mph.
                  I'm using ChromeBrakes rotors and pads now, what brands of pads have you found worked the best?

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
                    Did you replace inner and outer tie rods?

It could also be a problem with the steering rack itself.
                    Yes, and I have looked into that, though I'm really not sure what to look for.

And about the radius rods, I checked them, they are fine.

The only thing I logically think of that would fit my car's needs and why it's doing it is the steering rack somehow and the bushings, though my question is can bad bushings really cause that much of a racket?

What should I look for exactly when inspecting the steering rack?

Comment

Originally posted by militiamaiden View Post
                      I'm using ChromeBrakes rotors and pads now, what brands of pads have you found worked the best?
                      I am using EBC green pads.

I do not think it is a suspension/steering system issue. they all have their own symptoms when they go bad. Even the bushings.

Key word is "when braking". So check on calipers, pads, rotors and or the installation of the rotors.

That's my 2 cent
                      are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

@alb_accord, I have to change my brake pads soon I'll try the EBC's.

Any other suggestions or ideas from anyone would also be helpful!

Comment

I agree with alb_accord... its gotta be something in the braking system.

Were the slide pins greased correctly?
                          Are the calipers in good condition?
                          Have you ever resurfaced any of the rotors you bought? It could be possible that none of them were truly flat.
                          What brand wheel bearings did you use?
                          What brand tie rods? And are you sure both inners and outers were replaced?

Sorry, there really isn't much else there could be.

Comment

I'm kinda experiencing this same problem myself on my 90 DD. Its got 287k miles, and the only things I haven't changed yet are the lower control arms and the rack and pinon. Did upgrade the front brakes to Legend 2 piston calipers and Wagon 25mm thick rotors with 25T brackets. Stops well, just shakes from highway speeds when braking

when I first got the car, at 247k, it was puking out literally a pint of fluid every week. I didn't really fix the problem, just used this NO LEAK steering treatment made by Stabil, cured the leaking problem completely in about a 100 miles, where this more expensive Lucas crap didn't do anything. I doubt I'm ever going to do the rack since it took me an entire day on my 2dr coupe back in 2010. And I live in an apartment now so I can't do that much intensive labor anymore.

I can visibly see that the inner lower control arm bushing on my car is shot, can take a screwdriver and move the entire arm. So i'm thinking that's my braking problem. I'll most likely do this first since it only takes an hour or two and I can do it quick in my garage without anyone complaining really.

Idk, just throwing those two things out there.

member's ride thread
                            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                            91 Accord SE 176k
                            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
                              I agree with alb_accord... its gotta be something in the braking system.

Were the slide pins greased correctly?
                              Are the calipers in good condition?
                              Have you ever resurfaced any of the rotors you bought? It could be possible that none of them were truly flat.
                              What brand wheel bearings did you use?
                              What brand tie rods? And are you sure both inners and outers were replaced?

Sorry, there really isn't much else there could be.
                              Yes
                              Yes
                              No
                              Moog
                              Moog and yes

But my old stock rotors did the same thing, and they were resurfaced. I guess I could try resurfacing my new aftermarket ones maybe?

Comment

Working...
                              X