Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Radiator fan randomly comes on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radiator fan randomly comes on.

I'm new so hopefully I'm posting this in the right area!.

Anyway. I recently purchased my 1990 lx coupe. It my first time into car building.

So after i had the car parked for about 3 days after purchasing my radiator fan came on. The car hadn't been driven during those 3 days. It ran unntil my battery died. This has happened 2 other times and only once of those 2 times was the engine hot.
    I've looked around and some people have said that's it's a "fan timer switch" but I can't find it on rock Auto or any manuals . Any help would be appreciated!

The cooling fans are designed to run 2 minutes after the car is shut off IF the engine is above 226 degrees. If it's not they will just shut off normally. If they are coming on randomly it could be a number of things. It could be the fan timer unit, which is located under the left side of the dash. Or, it could also be the temperature switch which is I believe in the thermostat housing. (Or at least I think it's in the thermostat housing, been awhile since I have been around the f22.) Or it could also possibly be the ecu. I think the best way to figure it out is to kind of do process of elimination with it. When it starts to run randomly unplug the coolant temperature switch first. If it shut's off then it's the temperature switch. If it doesn't shut off unplug the biggest ecu connector (Connector A), if it turns off then the ecu is the likely culprit. If it stays on after both of those have been disconnected then it IS your fan timer unit. I guess technically if you had a shorted A/C diode and left both the fan switch and A/C switch on it could also make the fans run, but it should do it all the time and not randomly I would think. Hope this helped.

Comment

The lower temperature switch is on the thermostat housing. The higher temperature switch is on the water outlet at the right front corner of the cylinder head where the upper hose goes to the radiator.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I would replace both sensors and the thermo all at once. Do they come on at a red light or drive through?

Comment

Working...
        X