Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

20 Years in the cb7, motor #4 - H23a3 Help wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 Years in the cb7, motor #4 - H23a3 Help wanted!

Quick refresher on my history, setup and build:

Motor 1: F22a4, cold air intake and exhaust. Started burning oil real bad.

Motor 2: H23a1 stock block, delta 260's and 8psi 280whp. Literally ran out of gas at full boost, went super lean and melted all 4 pistons. Otherwise ran GREAT for years and years. The best years of my Accord.

Motor 3: Built h22a bottom end, built h23a1 head, 10.5:1 compression, ran out of turbo at 344whp/320tq. So fun but was plagued with problems, maybe 2k miles put on it and I parked it in fall of 2010. Has a main bearing cooked and making noise.

Motor 4: JDM H23a3 (Basicly an H23a1) ordered and on the way. Plan is to drop it in and run it at 6.5psi for while, drive the car and enjoy it again.

Question time! Some H23 parts from Honda are discontinued (timing belt, water pump, various gaskets etc)

Any thoughts on reusing my timing belt, water pump and a few gaskets? They are almost new, but 10 years old. The other option is aftermarket parts. I don't mind aftermarket, EXCEPT for the timing and pump components, I prefer Oem for those parts.

If I do go aftermarket for those parts what brands are recommended?

In the future I would like to swap my built h23 head onto this motor and Honda head gasket is also discontinued, any brand recommendations for that?

Turbo setup: T3/T4, log mani, tial 35mm WG, Rc 750's, front mount, 3" exhaust etc etc

I will of course use good judgement, but if the belt looks good and gaskets come off good and look okay I would rather try them then go to autozone and rely on them.

Any thoughts, warnings or something I am not thinking about let me know!

Thanks,

L8r
    Turbo H23a3 build has begun
    01-01-2019

Gates for belts
    Fel-Pro for HG or Reinz? Not sure if they make HGs for Honda.
    Not sure on the water pump, but I'm 99% sure all other F block pumps fit.

Edit: Can't you use F23 HG?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Honda actually uses Gates belts. So you are getting a Honda belt for the price of a non Honda belt. If that makes sense.

Head gasket I have ran Fel-pro with no problems on all my motors so I would recommend them. As for water pump I am not sure. If the pump spins freely and looks good I think you would be fine.

But I wouldn’t trust 10 year old rubber especially if it only cost me $50-80 to replace it.
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Aisin is a good brand to use for timing components. I've used them on a few Honda V6 engines, including our own 2009 Pilot.

Or Timken if you can find them for the timing bearings.
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

^^^
          Aisin is an OE manufacturer for Toyota. Nuff said.

Comment

Man these sound like fun builds.

Originally posted by lordoja
            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Motor 3 sounds interesting. Why did you put a non vtec head on there? What turbo did you use and what psi were you boosting at?

I got a built H22A in a '93 Civic (255 whp) and was wanting to do a new motor for it.. mainly because it runs on E85, & the nearest station is 180 miles away and E85 sucks in the cold as well.

So I was wanting to do a turbo H22A next and tune it on pump gas to make it more of a daily driver.

1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan, 205K, DD once again

Comment

So today I ordered a Gates timing belt. Also found out Honda still sells the water pump o-ring and ordered one of those. If the water pump looks good and spins freely I am going to reuse it.

Also delivered today was the H23A3. Advertised as 35k-55k miles, but I doubt it. The motor has serious carbon build up and has had a timing belt done on it. Not many people would ever do a timing belt at that mileage. Also oil pan has been off and looks like an idiot put it back on with 32 tubes of rtv sealant. Valve guides appear to be leaking as valve stems are wet with oil.
                On a plus side it had fresh plugs, new Bosch alternator, fresh hoses all around and is pretty clean. So maybe a freshly tuned up 150k motor? Block is stamped 97 but looks to be obd1? This weekend I need to get it onto an engine stand, pull the oil pan and valve cover and see what I got to work with.

To be delivered next week:
                Tial 6.5 psi spring
                Odyssey 925 battery
                Clutch master and slave cylinder (does any company make a full braided SS line to connect these?)
                Various turbo and wastegate gaskets
                Whatever OEM stuff was available

So next question is can I reuse ARP headstuds?

Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be cheap but I put this car aside after a dissapointing expensive build and don't want to repeat my past.

L8r
                01-01-2019

Comment

Originally posted by The_Head View Post
                  Motor 3 sounds interesting. Why did you put a non vtec head on there? What turbo did you use and what psi were you boosting at?
                  Turbo is a Garret t3/t4 63/60 57 trim.

I had been running a stock block h23 for years at 8psi, trying to get my car to run 12's in the 1/4. Did 13.2 at 250whp. Put cams in it, retuned and was at 280whp. Built the trans, obx lsd and drag radials. Went to the track and ran out of gas in 3rd gear at full boost, melted all 4 Pistons. Never got into the 12's.

Bought a sleeved h22 block, put in wiseco pistons, crower rods, arp hardware etc etc. Refreshed my h23 head and bolted it together. Turbo setup was for the h23, already had cams etc so I went with it. On the Dyno 15psi and higher didn't result in much gains so we left it at 15 making 344/320. It was a very responsive and fast setup. It never ran reliably enough to go to the track and has been parked for a long time!
                  01-01-2019

Comment

Originally posted by The_Head View Post
                    I got a built H22A in a '93 Civic (255 whp) and was wanting to do a new motor for it..
                    So I just noticed your location, you ever race in Douglas, Wy before they shut it down? I used to race in Denver back in 03-04. I always wanted to run Douglas and regret not running there. I lived in Laramie, Wy for a while and Boulder, Co for a short time after that.

Not many tuners in Wyoming, atleast not back then!
                    01-01-2019

Comment

Yes you can reuse ARP head studs, again I have used a set a couple times. The difference between the studs and bolts is that studs are less likely to stretch as much compared to bolts. This is achieved by the design of a bolt vs a stud.

I hope you plan to document this build with pictures and info, very excited to see another turbo build going down.
                      Last edited by Grumpys93; 01-04-2019, 12:47 AM.
                      ~Nick~
                      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

I assumed they could be reused but like getting a second opinion.
                        I Need to get this new to me motor torn down and figure out my next step. I am hoping it looks okay inside, just freshen it up and put my old h23 head onto it and swap it into the car. If it looks bad then time out. Not wanting to get into another major build (sleeves etc).
                        01-01-2019

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                          Yes you can reuse ARP head studs, again I have used a set a couple times. The difference between the studs and bolts is that studs are less likely to stretch as much compared to bolts. This is achieved by the design of a bolt vs a stud.

I hope you plan to document this build with pictures and info, very excited to see another turbo build going down.
                          I never had a members ride thread or anything in the past, just liked posting up and helping when I could. I have lost all my old photos of the car in progress and it's so dissapointing. I had a big thread on the transmission build, another one on a full exterior overhaul, cams install etc but all the photos are gone and the posts are now useless without them!

I have been taking pictures so far so maybe I can get them hosted and put some info out there. Any site recommendations for hosting pics? I lost all of my old ones on geocities many many years ago!
                          01-01-2019

Comment

Originally posted by bjaccord View Post
                            I never had a members ride thread or anything in the past, just liked posting up and helping when I could. I have lost all my old photos of the car in progress and it's so dissapointing. I had a big thread on the transmission build, another one on a full exterior overhaul, cams install etc but all the photos are gone and the posts are now useless without them!

I have been taking pictures so far so maybe I can get them hosted and put some info out there. Any site recommendations for hosting pics? I lost all of my old ones on geocities many many years ago!
                            geocities now that's throw back right there. I am currently using Flickr and haven't had any issues with them.
                            ~Nick~

Comment

For image hosting I have been using "ImgBB".

https://imgbb.com/
                              Keep Pushing..

Comment

Working...
                              X