Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

20 Years in the cb7, motor #4 - H23a3 Help wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday I got the new engine onto the stand, took the oil pan, pickup and baffle out, looks pretty good. No sludge, mild staining but looks like it was maintained decently. Also pulled the valve cover and same up top, mild staining but overall looks good. Need to get the crank pulley off and then I can finish the teardown and get to work taking the engine out of the car.

Trying to find a waste gate gasket, no luck so far.

Need to find a turbonetics deltagate gasket with the fire ring. All the sites that had them listed show back order. Tial gaskets are known the fail so not wanting one of those metal mesh gaskets.
    Turbo H23a3 build has begun
    01-01-2019

Comment

I like gates timing belts but I am running a ebay timing belt in my boosted civic. I have bought 3 of the cheapest timing belts off of ebay for different motors and they all seem to be good quality. I have bought 1 of the cheap autozone belts and ran it on my cb7 back In the day, it seemed thin and I didn't like that the backside was smooth, all of the ebay belts I have bought seem thick and have a rubbery texture I like .i am not quick to recommend going cheap with a timing belt but honestly I don't like paying for a name IF I can get good quality with a generic .
      As far as the gasket I have a big sheet of this make your own exhaust gasket material I got at carquest , it seems like steel and cardboard but its steel and fiberglass and I have used it with out any problems. It takes a minute to learn how to work with it but it's nice for small exhaust gaskets with only a few holes. I am going to use it for my wastegate and downpipe when my my downpipe comes in because my turbo has a weird 4 bolt downpipe flange
      Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
      93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

Gates belt ordered and found waste gate gaskets.

thepowderblue: if you are talking about a t3 2.5" 4 bolt outlet SCE makes a great copper gasket for that.
        01-01-2019

Comment

That’s one of the reasons we went V-band on the turbine housing. No longer have to deal with gaskets blowing out.
          ~Nick~
          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I have never worked with v-bands but from what I have read they are great, and hassle free.

I had the flanges on the manifold, down pipe and dump tube all milled before they were ceramic coated and I have not had any real problems, but I always used the turbonetics gaskets for the waste gate. The Tial gaskets are well known to blow out and disintegrate.
            01-01-2019

Comment

Originally posted by bjaccord View Post
              I have never worked with v-bands but from what I have read they are great, and hassle free.

I had the flanges on the manifold, down pipe and dump tube all milled before they were ceramic coated and I have not had any real problems, but I always used the turbonetics gaskets for the waste gate. The Tial gaskets are well known to blow out and disintegrate.
              This is actually my first time going v-band as well. I never had an issue with my tail gaskets but I only had my previous motors last 6-9 months. Hoping I get many years out of this one.
              ~Nick~
              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Today I got my $12.00 crank pulley tool in the mail and after a little fighting got the crank pulley bolt out. Still waiting for a special order cometic head gasket to arrive. I will probably remove the head from the h23a3 this weekend and check it out. I don't plan on using it though, as my h23a1 head is improved (ported, polished, o/s valves, crower springs/retainers, etc). Some internet sites say the EDM h23 has larger valves than the usdm version, I will measure to see if true.

I have been so excited lately about the car though, I can't wait to turn the key and fire it up!
                Last edited by bjaccord; 01-21-2019, 12:45 AM. Reason: Confirmed valve train components.
                01-01-2019

Comment

Working...
                X