CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 01-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #221
ukemike
CB7tuner Member

ukemike is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaccord View Post
What do the car names mean?

The Minnow and Notorious RBG?
Well since we race in 24 hours of lemons, you're supposed to have a theme. The first car was done up like the boat, the Minnow from Gilligan's Island. The current car is a Ruth Bader Ginsberg theme. We're looking at changing that before our next race, maybe to Rick and Morty. But I also considered painting it florescent blue and doing a blue screen of death theme. That would certainly make it easy to spot, but the paint would cost about $100 and I hear that the day-glo effect fades after a few weeks in the sun.

We raced last weekend at Laguna Seca with Lucky Dog Racing League. It was not our best showing. I drove second on Saturday, and had intermittant fuel problems until it blew an axle during, got that fixed and the fuel pump issues got worse then went away and got worse again. We considered cutting a hole in the body to get to the pump, but decided not. It ran fine much of Saturday, and Jason, our hotshoe driver got a 1:53.67 which I am impressed with.

The power loss from the fuel pump went from intermittent to persistent, and when I saw him come around turn 11, loose power, and a half dozen much faster cars came around all at once and had to swerve to avoid him, I called him in and we called it a day. That killed me. Most weekends since this summer have been spent getting ready for this, and driving at Laguna Seca was a lifelong dream. I got 11 laps, 3 with fuel problems and 2 with terrible shaking due to a self destructing inner left CV joint.

So for the next race we'll have to have two spare axles on hand. I'm not looking forward to the fuel pump job. The tank is 3/4 full, so I'll have to drain it, drop the tank, and then replace it. I might try to siphon some of the gas out before jacking it way up and draining the rest.

Some of the cars at that race were shockingly fast. Overall fast lap was 1:41! To put that in perspective the production car track record is held by Randy Pobst in a 2019 McLaren Senna at 1:27:62. There were pro drivers, including Randy, and pro teams there. It ain't amateur racing. I think we are going back to Lemons. I prefer passing to getting passed, and we weren't doing much passing.

I still love how the car handles. For much more detail on the prep for the race, you can look at my raceblog:

http://picknpullracing.wordpress.com
Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel.
A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, glasspack muffler, PT12 ECU.
Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid
ukemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #222
ukemike
CB7tuner Member

ukemike is cool... so far.
I believe our next race will be a lemons race at the full 5 mile Thunderhill course in May. I love that track, it is just epic.
Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel.
A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, glasspack muffler, PT12 ECU.
Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid
ukemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: