Variable rate springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variable rate springs

ok so here is the thing. i recently put my 17s on my car and now i realize just how shot my struts and springs are (they are oem as in from 91 with 246k miles on them) and i have no desire to drop the car. just restoring reliability and safety to the car. so i decided on gr2 struts (wanted koni str.t but cant justify the extra since im not dropping.) the question i have is what do yall think of variable rate springs? im leaning to putting moog variable rates on the rear end on of my accord as i have about 150lbs of additional car audio in the trunk and its not coming out but the back end has got to stop bottoming out!! (and no im not getting a f...ing suv, i love my cb7)

Originally posted by onelivinlarge View Post
    ok so here is the thing. i recently put my 17s on my car and now i realize just how shot my struts and springs are (they are oem as in from 91 with 246k miles on them) and i have no desire to drop the car. just restoring reliability and safety to the car. so i decided on gr2 struts (wanted koni str.t but cant justify the extra since im not dropping.) the question i have is what do yall think of variable rate springs? im leaning to putting moog variable rates on the rear end on of my accord as i have about 150lbs of additional car audio in the trunk and its not coming out but the back end has got to stop bottoming out!! (and no im not getting a f...ing suv, i love my cb7)
    The back shouldn't bottom out even with 150lbs extra in the rear. Once you get the new shocks on, I think you will find that problem is a thing of the past.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
      The back shouldn't bottom out even with 150lbs extra in the rear. Once you get the new shocks on, I think you will find that problem is a thing of the past.
      ok them ill do that ill get the new struts and pray that stops this bottoming out issue. i did roll the rear fenders and that stopped the rubbing so now the struts

Comment

what size tire are you running on those 17's

seems odd even with high miles and extra weight to be bottoming out and rubbing on stock suspension with out haveing an over sized tire.

as for variable rate springs it is known in the industry as progressive rate as the spring have a few tightly wound coils that are soft to give a soft ride. once the spring is further compressed it will get progressively firmer as the coils compress.

I had a set of neuspeed spring with this design and it was a nice ride even being lowered.
        Budget Street is offline working in the shop

drop the mouse and pick up a wrench

Originally posted by deevergote
        Good for you. You don't even know how to spell VTEC.

Comment

Originally posted by budget street View Post
          what size tire are you running on those 17's

seems odd even with high miles and extra weight to be bottoming out and rubbing on stock suspension with out haveing an over sized tire.

as for variable rate springs it is known in the industry as progressive rate as the spring have a few tightly wound coils that are soft to give a soft ride. once the spring is further compressed it will get progressively firmer as the coils compress.

I had a set of neuspeed spring with this design and it was a nice ride even being lowered.
          205 50 17 is the tires im running.. rolling the fenders seemed to stop that "bottoming out" i was havving it seems that it was hitting the fender lip and that was causing it. but the suspension is still on my to do list. with some koni str.t and about a 1.5in drop

Comment

Working...
          X