cb 9 spring rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cb 9 spring rates

does anyone know the spring rate of a cb 9 or cd7 wagon rear springs? i need a little stiffer springs in the back but i dont think want to lower it as i already have exactly 2 finger room in the rear from the excess weight of about 200-250 lbs of sterio

On the cd wagon its 205 for the front and 129 for the rear. I would think the cb9 should close to those.

Comment

Originally posted by onelivinlarge View Post
      does anyone know the spring rate of a cb 9 or cd7 wagon rear springs? i need a little stiffer springs in the back but i dont think want to lower it as i already have exactly 2 finger room in the rear from the excess weight of about 200-250 lbs of sterio
      I don't exactly know why you want specific spring rates? Are you racing or just lowering the car or are you slamming the car? If you Go with Ground control you can call them up and request specific spring rates.

The kit they normally send out does a great job at lowering, and with a good shock paired with the springs you can have great ride quality. Then stiffen up your shocks(if adjustable) and then you can ride like a go cart it just depends what kind of duties you want your suspension to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack93prj View Post
        I don't exactly know why you want specific spring rates? Are you racing or just lowering the car or are you slamming the car? If you Go with Ground control you can call them up and request specific spring rates.

The kit they normally send out does a great job at lowering, and with a good shock paired with the springs you can have great ride quality. Then stiffen up your shocks(if adjustable) and then you can ride like a go cart it just depends what kind of duties you want your suspension to do?
        He doesn't want to lower it.

OP, have you put thought into this? Increasing spring rate (stiffer springs) will raise your car back up to stock height and it will be really active in the rear especially with you hauling 250lbs of weight in the trunk throwing off the cars balance.

Comment

My bad I misread the post....So he just wants the ability to haul stuff with out so much suspension sag?

Comment

One thing you can do (and this may not be the right way to go about it but it is ballpark) is to figure out the stock spring rate, devide your added load by 2 (200/2 or 250/2) and add that to the stock spring rate and it will get you back to stock height. If you want to keep the "two finger" gap you described then you will need to spec out 1"-1.5" lowering springs with the increased spring rate described above.

So if it is 129 in the rear and you plan to always cary 250lbs of stereo equipment and keep the gap then 1"-1.5" lowering springs with a rate of around 250 would work.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

You might as well replace your struts too, just pull it out and see if it still has full damening and rebound. 20yr old struts don't hold up well, and if you are taking apart the strut tower you might as well throw in some monroe or other stock replacement struts.
            Last edited by wildBill83; 10-16-2012, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
              One thing you can do (and this may not be the right way to go about it but it is ballpark) is to figure out the stock spring rate, devide your added load by 2 (200/2 or 250/2) and add that to the stock spring rate and it will get you back to stock height. If you want to keep the "two finger" gap you described then you will need to spec out 1"-1.5" lowering springs with the increased spring rate described above.

So if it is 129 in the rear and you plan to always cary 250lbs of stereo equipment and keep the gap then 1"-1.5" lowering springs with a rate of around 250 would work.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

You might as well replace your struts too, just pull it out and see if it still has full damening and rebound. 20yr old struts don't hold up well, and if you are taking apart the strut tower you might as well throw in some monroe or other stock replacement struts.
              thanks for the tip on the springs. ill have to call ground control i think it was someone above posted about springs if im to keep that lowered look.

and yes new struts have been planned. and are the next big purchase after i finish paying for the tires for my 17s. i was looking at gr2 or koni str.t

Comment

Spring rate doesn't define the spring height. Rates on lowering springs were designed for coupes/sedans, youre going to get some sag when loading up an already ass heavy wagon.
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Maybe you could get some Koni yellows and set the rear perches a setting or two higher to compensate for any sag you might encounter.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                    Spring rate doesn't define the spring height. Rates on lowering springs were designed for coupes/sedans, youre going to get some sag when loading up an already ass heavy wagon.
                    well im have a sedan and im trying to solve this sag issue. what the length of the stock cb7 springs ?

Comment

Originally posted by HardInThePaint View Post
                      Maybe you could get some Koni yellows and set the rear perches a setting or two higher to compensate for any sag you might encounter.
                      i hadnt thought about that. getting yellows and increasing the bump stiffness so it would not go down as easy

Comment

struts provide damnpening and rebound. So you want more dampening.

Comment

Working...
                        X