Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Optimal Tire Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimal Tire Pressure

I just had my tires filled with nitrogen and the guy aired it up to 35psi. Now the sticker on the door says 29psi and to me that seems a little low. In all this sites infinite wisdom has anyone found the true optimal tire pressure in regards to better gas mileage and tire life. I have stock wheels
    visit vgruk

go with what it says on the sidewall. Mine are 44psi max so I put in 43 to account for heat expansion. the sticker on the door jamb is for the OEM tires

Comment

From a guy that works in the tire/service industry I would always put the pressure to what it states on the door. That pressure is specified to account for suspension and ride quality. It does not matter if you have OE tires or not as long as they are the correct size with OE rims then the pressure should be set to what Honda recommends.... My 2 cents

Comment

Ok then 29psi it is! Thanks
        visit vgruk

Comment

Not a problem... I know 29 psi sounds low and I have to slap my hand when I check the pressures and change the oil lol

Comment

Originally posted by cmhondaboy View Post
            From a guy that works in the tire/service industry I would always put the pressure to what it states on the door. That pressure is specified to account for suspension and ride quality. It does not matter if you have OE tires or not as long as they are the correct size with OE rims then the pressure should be set to what Honda recommends.... My 2 cents
            well i was a TST for commercial fleet and auto for a handful of years. Once you trash the OEM tires you go by whats on the sidewall. even if its OEM size. all tire manufacturers have different specifications, so itd be pretty stupid to go with whats on a 20+ year old sticker in the door jamb. Nice job though trying to sound scientific with "That pressure is specified to account for suspension and ride quality." That may be true with the rubber honda sent out 20 years ago with that car. But at the end of the day you go with whats on the sidewall unless you want weird wear and decreases in fuel mileage. ktnx

Comment

The tire pressure on the label/door takes only into account factory wheel that came with the car along with the specified tire that came with the vehicle. If you change those dynamics, the whole game changes. Read the manual as it should explain more in detail. You have to take into account changes in altitude, climate conditions, and other factors.

My door jamb says 32 psi, but I have an EX coupe. However, I'm also 5-Lug converted with TL wheels and slightly stretched tires. When they were mounted and balanced, the shop recommended 40 psi, so that's what they were aired to.

Since your going Nitrogen filled, depending on your location, I would say some where between 32-35 psi. Look at your tires for recommended tire pressure.
              The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I have to disagree but to each their own.. My shop goes off MACS guidelines and I always compare door to what the updated specs are and they are 99% of the time the same.. As far as fuel mileage goes I have checked it at several different pressures on my CB and my SUV and thus far have gotten the best mileage from factory pressures.. Even if it is 20 years old they did it that way for a reason... If they wanted to change it for safety they would release a TSB stating other wise.. But everyone will have a different opinion on how much to use.. Even guys in my shop disagree on this very issue all the time lol

Comment

35 give you a smother ride on GOOD roads and bit more in gas but it sucks on road with holes and bumps
                  10th Anniversary Accord.
                  05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

The higher the psi, the higher your MPGs are going to be. Less rolling resistance/friction between the tire and the asphalt.
                    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Too much air will wear the center of the tire more, too less and it will wear the edges. Doesn't matter factory tires or not, Honda doesn't make the tires and factory specs are best. If you have 100 lbs of stereo in your trunk you could add alittle more air.

Having changed hundreds of tires at a tire shop I would usually just set them to 32psi.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                        go with what it says on the sidewall. Mine are 44psi max so I put in 43 to account for heat expansion. the sticker on the door jamb is for the OEM tires
                        That is a terrible idea

max tire pressure is the maximum pressure the tire can handle

The sticker is for tires equivalent to OEM tires. Putting in more pressure will cause it to balloon and wear the center. The door jam spec accounts for the weight of the vehicle. The tire pressure you want to use is the tire pressure on that sticker. The max tire pressure doesn't account for the weight of the vehicle its going onto, hell the car could be heavy as shit which would mean you would need more air in it to retain its proper contact patch with the road.

Comment

I use 35psi all the way up until winter, I deflat them some so my tires can dig in the snow more. Always worked for me.
                          **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                          Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                          Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                            That is a terrible idea

max tire pressure is the maximum pressure the tire can handle

The sticker is for tires equivalent to OEM tires. Putting in more pressure will cause it to balloon and wear the center. The door jam spec accounts for the weight of the vehicle. The tire pressure you want to use is the tire pressure on that sticker. The max tire pressure doesn't account for the weight of the vehicle its going onto, hell the car could be heavy as shit which would mean you would need more air in it to retain its proper contact patch with the road.
                            it took 120psi to seat the bead even lubed up on my alloys, whys it a terrible idea? if its 42-43 psi and the max is 44 i dont see a problem, just like most tires are max 35psi you put in about 32-33.... and you dont adjust psi for the weight of the vehicle even if its heavier. With semi tires you put in 100psi regardless if its a trash hauler or a flat bed trailer or a shipping container trailer, if that was the case the trash haulers would need about 175psi for the tire to look "normal". Its like saying on my touring cs's thats are max 45psi, if i throw 12 bodies in my trunk i need to add another 20psi? no.. if the vehicle is heavier then the tire's combined maximum load then you get a different tire
                            Last edited by illinois_erik; 06-25-2012, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                              it took 120psi to seat the bead even lubed up on my alloys, whys it a terrible idea? if its 42-43 psi and the max is 44 i dont see a problem, just like most tires are max 35psi you put in about 32-33..
                              Taking 120PSI of shop pressure to seat the bead does not mean the pressure inside the tire is 120psi

Most tires max PSI is not 35 either.

Comment

Working...
                              X