Wagon Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagon Rescue

As you all know, I sold my wagon about 2 weeks ago. The buyer had a holding place for it here locally before he could pick it up and drive it back to Calgary 2 hours away.

Tonight he picked up the car to drive it back home.

About 9:30pm my phone rings. It's him. He's gotten about 10 mins outside of the city on the highway, and a rear wheel stud has sheared off, lost all the lugnuts, wheel is off in the median on the highway and he's 3 wheeling on the shoulder.

I grab some tools and a couple jacks and head out to survey the damage and hopefully get him back on the road.

I show up and he's on the shoulder, with the wheel recovered from the median. Sure enough, one of the studs is sheared right off down to the hub, while the other three show some wear, but are still ok to thread.

We were able to get the car jacked up and the wheel back on. Luckily there was a whole set of factory lugs in the trunk, so we were able to use those to bolt the wheel back on.

Got the car back on the ground and everything was solid and hopefully good enough to get back to Calgary.

This is good karma playing out. When I bought my SE back and broke down outside Edmonton, and Antonio7566 came and rescued me and got me all fixed up, it was now my turn to return the favour to someone.

whyd you sell it? you seem to go thru cars..a lot.
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Dang, how pissed was that guy?
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Yah was the body ok?

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
        It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

i wouldve responded, "Do you have AAA?"
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Man, you go through cars like Indian food goes through... me!

That was nice of you to go help. I've been in such a situation, and the seller didn't come to my aid. Then again, he was 16, it was 1am... and I did kinda just drive off with his car...

I'm amazed that one stud snapped and all 4 lugnuts worked their way loose. Sounds like carelessness, possibly on your part (unless you recently had the wheels professionally serviced.) I'd have been seriously pissed.
            I hope you made sure the lugs on the other 3 wheels were tight!

Comment

Who knows why it came loose. I had done work on all 4 wheels, and the 2 rears had seemed to have loosened up. Th driver side came right off, and the passenger side when I checked was snug, but not completely tight. Both front wheels were tight.

It's one of those freak accidents where we'll never know if it was carelessness by my installation, faulty parts or whatever the reason may be.

Because I don't have a torque wrench, I always snug the lugs while the car is in the air, and then when I drop it to the ground I tighten them completely and recheck them.

Who knows. On the bright side, he made it home safely. I only helped out because he was a nice enough guy who I'll remain in contact with, and I felt bad for such a freak accident happening, and he was only 10 mins away from me. And, because I've been in his shoes, when I was stranded with the SE 5 hours from home, I know what's it's like when you have nobody around to help.

Comment

It was my pleasure mikey, glad that I was able to help you out and that you made home!

Comment

It's hard to beleive that was already a year ago.

Comment

You take the VW spoiler off?
                    My FB Page - http://www.facebook.com/hellaflush3d

My 3D Work --> http://samauripizzacats.deviantart.com/

Comment

Yeah, I swapped a 9293 sedan trunk on with OEM spoiler.

Got tired of the flushmount.

Comment

Working...
                      X