Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What discontinued cars should return, and how would you build them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like Honda could have re-released the facelifted NSX in 2013 with minor interior changes to include instrumentation similar to what's in the ILX, a DOHC J-series engine mounted longitudinally, Brembo brakes and nothing else and then proceeded to sell it for $130,000.

It wouldn't be AWD, and it likely wouldn't have over 400hp unless they turbocharged it. I'm really imagining something similar to the Mugen NSX RR in street trim.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

It's rumored that Acura is working on offering the new NSX in different configurations, like the 911. Non-hybrid, naturally aspirated, RWD, convertible. Seeing as how the NSX is basically 911 Turbo money, a base car to compete with the Carrera 2 priced at a similar $80-90k would be cool. Or less; I don't know how the NSX is inside, but traditionally you can't exactly compare an Acura interior to one from Porsche.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...e-r-model.html
      Last edited by CyborgGT; 08-02-2016, 08:57 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
        It seems they still make them, website I linked shows a 2017 model for 142000 pesos (about 7500 US). Don't know how strict your inspection requirements are in NJ, but up here I could slap on a VIN from a $200 junker Sentra and register a new one!
        NJ just stopped inspection altogether for cars older than 1996. That means every B13 Sentra would be exempt. It would be highly illegal to do the VIN swap, but absolutely possible!

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
        It's rumored that Acura is working on offering the new NSX in different configurations, like the 911. Non-hybrid, naturally aspirated, RWD, convertible. Seeing as how the NSX is basically 911 Turbo money, a base car to compete with the Carrera 2 priced at a similar $80-90k would be cool. Or less; I don't know how the NSX is inside, but traditionally you can't exactly compare an Acura interior to one from Porsche.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...e-r-model.html
        I've heard that rumor. Supposedly it'll basically be a naturally-aspirated, non-hybrid version of the new NSX. To me, that would be the one to buy! The fancy new technology that's in the new NSX is awesome, and necessary I think for Acura to really push the envelope the way they did with the original (supercars are going that direction now, and the GTR beat them to the punch this time around.)

Still, N/A, MR layout... that's an NSX. I wouldn't care if it's "underpowered". I'm sure Honda could crank out at least 350hp. If they keep the curb weight down around 3000lbs, and make it handle like a monster... it'd be every bit as appealing as the original. Especially if they keep the price under $100,000. It PROBABLY won't happen, sadly. We're far more likely to see a new S roadster, or even a spiritual successor to the Beat using the S660 (with an engine that is acceptable for US roads...)

Comment

Hey I'm not suggesting you do anything illegal.
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

The only mark against the old NSX was that the power didn't really increase over the fifteen years or so the car was produced. As a sports car, it was enough, don't get me wrong, but the fact that it didn't take long for the family car FWD Accord to surpass it was a bit of a joke. You just don't do that within your own brand. Acura needs to avoid letting that happen again.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

The 3.2L engine introduced in 1997 made an extra 20hp and 20lb·ft over the 3.0L. It made 270-290hp throughout its entire run in the US. Curb weight was similar to the Accord throughout production, with weight increasing from roughly 2900lbs (when it was sold alongside the CB7, weight about the same) to around 3200lbs (which is about what the 7th gen Accord weighs.) Still, it managed to run mid to low 13 second quarter mile times. The earlier 7th generation Accord V6 (the newest Accord V6 to be sold alongside the NSX) only made 240hp, and did the quarter mile in about 14.5 seconds (according to Car & Driver.)

The power of the Accord (and other V6 Honda products) did shoot up significantly following the NSX's demise, however. It was necessary, given the direction of the market... but I do wonder if Honda was holding back as to not compete too much with their own flagship sports car!

Still, an iconic and capable sports car doesn't need mindblowing horsepower numbers. Sadly, horsepower sells cars in the US (the Hellcat cars are lumbering beasts... but 707hp makes them appealing, even to me!) However, I consider the NSX to be something akin to the 911. While there ARE 911s that make stupid amounts of power, they've always been lacking in that department when compared to much of their competition. That has never stopped them from being highly respected as proper sports cars.
              I think that's what bugs me most about the new NSX. It looks like they're trying to outdo the GTR, rather than creating a Japanese 911. I'd rather see the latter from them.

Comment

What happened to all of the 2 door hatchbacks?

We need a 200hp, 2 door hatchback, no frills, LSD with 235/245 wide tires :-D

or they can just bring over the 2 door Ford Fiesta to the US.
                14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

If Honda sticks a worthwhile engine in the next generation CR-Z (if there IS a next generation), we may get that!

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro View Post
                    SUVs and Crossovers happened.
                    More luxury and gadgets happened.
                    Less driving happened.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

The Golf GTI is still available as a two door, and I believe the upcoming Civic hatchback is as well. Hyundai Veloster, Fiat 500/Abarth, Mini Cooper.

Back to rotaries for a minute, I'm playing Gran Turismo right now and reading the description on the Mazda Furai concept. It neglects to mention that the only example burned to the ground while Top Gear was testing it, but it does say that the car was run on E100, ethanol race fuel. Would not a two-rotor "flex-fuel" E85 variant, or one run on hydrogen should that ever catch on, help the emissions problems these cars have and make a return more realistic?

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                        The Golf GTI is still available as a two door, and I believe the upcoming Civic hatchback is as well. Hyundai Veloster, Fiat 500/Abarth, Mini Cooper.

Back to rotaries for a minute, I'm playing Gran Turismo right now and reading the description on the Mazda Furai concept. It neglects to mention that the only example burned to the ground while Top Gear was testing it, but it does say that the car was run on E100, ethanol race fuel. Would not a two-rotor "flex-fuel" E85 variant, or one run on hydrogen should that ever catch on, help the emissions problems these cars have and make a return more realistic?
                        It's crazy to think that they were running pure ethanol. I'm sure they had an auxiliary oil source for the rotors, but running pure alcohol is not advised due to the lack of lubrication which can wear apex seals dramatically.

But you're right - any alternative fuel source such as hydrogen or alcohol will effectively negate the emissions argument for a rotary, but the fuel efficiency would be horrendous.
                        14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro View Post

We need a 200hp, 2 door hatchback, no frills, LSD with 235/245 wide tires :-D

or they can just bring over the 2 door Ford Fiesta to the US.

some companies still make them...

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

He should have specified... two door hatchbacks worth buying!

The GTI is probably the best option in that segment now. The CR-Z is fun, if slow.
                            The truly lightweight performance-oriented 2-door hatchbacks are a thing of the past, I think. Sadly.

Comment

I just want a Pontiac G8 GXP... That is all.
                              Originally posted by sweet91accord
                              if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

It's a shame GM was in such bad shape when the G8 came out. That car would have been Pontiac's savior otherwise. Pontiac had become a brand of over-styled, plastic-clad, badge-engineered Chevys (Chevies? Chevrolets.) The G8, though still a badge-engineered product, was built on a platform that was unique in the US market. It had the looks, without being overdone. It had the performance potential that was in line with the brand identity. It even had a pretty decent degree of build quality, especially when compared to everything else being churned out by US General Motors at the time. Car & Driver called it "the 5 Series that Pontiac always wanted to build."

Sadly, Holden is now joining Pontiac in the grave No more awesome Aussie muscle.

Comment

Working...
                                X