INT:Sedan Front Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT:Sedan Front Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning

If your windows are hard to roll up and down, they will need a good cleaning. The window seals have a dry powder that lets the window slide easily and not stick. After time this wears off, degrades, or is cleaned off by mistake. The window seals also fill up with dust and dirt that should be cleaned.

The motor regualtors are filled with grease which also attracts dirt and debris and after 20+ years. They could use a cleaning and fresh grease as well.

Before:

Time aprrox 1-1.5 hrs per door
    Tools needed
    Philips screwdriver
    Small flat blade
    10mm nutdrive or ratchet w/10mm socket
    8mm nutdrive or ratchet w/8mm socket

Materials
    Honda/Shin Etu grease(for window seals)
    General grease(for regulator)
    Terry cloth
    Sharpie
    Acetone

Start out by removing door panels.
    Removing The Front Passenger Panel:
    Drivers door is similar
    1)Use small flat screwdriver and pop out the clip in the upper front corner.

2)Use a small flat screwdriver and pop up the screw cover in lower rear of panel and remove the philips screw.

3)Use a small flat screwdriver to remove screw cover from armrest pull and remove philips screw.
    [IMG]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w47/K24RD6/accordpanelarmredtpullscrewcover_zpsfc1e289b.jpg{/IMG]

4)Use a small flat screwdriver and pop up the screw cover behind the pull handle and remove philips screw.

Slide handle forward to front of car to release the hooks and pull towards yourself. Remove door lock switch wire connector(A) and unclip rod(B). Remove door panel screw(C)

After all fasteners are removed, remove panel by pulling with your hands starting at the front and rear bottom of the panel.

After the clips are released, push upward from the rear to unhook the top of the panel.

Unclip the window switch and courtesy light connectors

Window seals
    Remove the vapor barrier. Remove 4 Philips screw holding speaker cup to door. Roll window up. Remove the front and rear window lower track guide M6(10mm Head) bolts. Slide tracks downward to unhook and then slide inwards off of the window rubber.

Roll window down, then slide window seals upward out of door frame. Next pull downward to release seal from upper door frame and remove completely from door.

Check the out the dirt in the seals then take a damp terry cloth and wipe rubbers until clean.

Afer the seals are clean, it is time to make them shiny new. Use Honda Shin Etsu grease and coat the window seal. Make sure to get the inside also(anywhere the window can touch). Allow a little time to let the grease soak in and then reaplly grease a second time.

Window regulator
    Roll window into position to expose the window mounting bolts. Loosen the 2 M6 bolts and an slide window carrier over to release window. Carefully extricate window from door.

After the window is removed, roll up the window (which is no longer there) so the the regulator is at its most compact size. Mark the adjustble rear bolt so it can be reinstalled in the same location later. Remove the 6 m6 bolts holding the regulator to door. Carefully remove the through the door frame. If you set the regulator at its most compact size it should come out easily. Make sure you dont bang against outside of the door or you could end up with dents.

Now wipe out the existing grease and dirt from slides and around the motor. Some of it may be hardened and caked on which definatley need to cleaned off. With it all clean, reapply grease to the areas you cleaned. Also grease the scissor center pivot. This is hard since it does not come apart but there are two holes. Force grease into these two holes with a finger while simultaneously moving the regulator back and forth to work grease in.

When finished regreasing, move the regulator back and forth without motor, it should move almost effortlessly. Once good, reinstall motor on regulator and reinstall regulator in car.

Roll up and down regulator without window to make sure it moves without any issues.

Reinstall window seals and window. Be very carefull since it will now slide with little effort. Roll up and down window, it should work like almost new.

Results
    After video
    Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

I'm guessing that you con only buy the grease from Honda, right? Also is this safe for inted windows? I know some grease will cause the tint to peel. I need to do this to all of mine, as none roll up or down smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by ktaylor660 View Post
      I'm guessing that you con only buy the grease from Honda, right? Also is this safe for inted windows? I know some grease will cause the tint to peel. I need to do this to all of mine, as none roll up or down smoothly.
      its just silicone grease any will do.

thats 30 bucks at carquest just about a lifetime supply lol

i think the permatex dielectric tuneup grease is also silicone. but any will do as long as its silicone grease. it should not harm your tint as this stuffs pretty inert, they have a food grade version and use it in like meat grinders and the valves for the ice cream machines at mcdonalds . just dont use petroleum grease, itll eat the rubber up or turn it to mush after a while.

Comment

I actually just did this this last weekend. Awesome write up!
        '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

looks like a weekend project!

good lookin' out lucifer1
          MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
          1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Comment

Will this work on a window that not only rolls up/down slow, but will not roll all the way up?

"There are only two types of people in this world... Those who run & win, and those who sit at the sidelines & watch the winners pass them by."

My YouTube Channel! - There's more videos here!
            Check 'em out, hit LIKE, or even better, stay updated with more vids when you SUBSCRIBE, including vids of my JDM H23A swap!

Comment

Originally posted by Accord1320 View Post
              Will this work on a window that not only rolls up/down slow, but will not roll all the way up?
              It's worth a shot. I'll be doing this to my new scoot around 92 LX shortly along with a right rear regulator replacement.

Nice writeup Lucifer, what is your estimate on revealing your completed CB7? She looks to be going together nicely!

Comment

great DIY I have to do this on both of my front windows. I need to replace the driver side door weatherstrip and window track. I hate the way it bunches up in the corner for being so old.

Thanks!

Comment

thanx for the write up, i've been spraying wd40 on the seals (the part the window touches) and really hasn't worked.

question, if i do this would my driver panel (black strip that runs across the top that touches the window) stop flipping into the panel, which causes me to roll up and down a few time til my window is fully down, every time i roll it down?
                  FRIENDS
                  DONT LET
                  FRIENDS
                  ROLL ON
                  ROTA'S

Comment

Originally posted by mugencivic4dr View Post
                    thanx for the write up, i've been spraying wd40 on the seals (the part the window touches) and really hasn't worked.

question, if i do this would my driver panel (black strip that runs across the top that touches the window) stop flipping into the panel, which causes me to roll up and down a few time til my window is fully down, every time i roll it down?
                    WD-40 is not a lubricant, it's a water displacer, hence WD. You have to put some sort of silicone grease in there, spray lubricants don't work either.

If you clean the whole seal around the window, it will stop the piece from flipping.

Comment

Working...
                    X