No announcement yet.

Ghostwhite : 1992 Accord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll keep that in mind fleetwood. I'm going to try and squeeze in a JY run on tomorrow morning, temps will be up but there is a chance of freezing drizzle.

I want to grab a lot of hardware in any case. I don't know how much of the auto hardware is reused, stuff like shifter assy bolts, intermediate shaft bolts, clutch bracket and MC nuts and bolts.

Comment

It looks like from some reading the 5 speed T bracket for the LX/DX is different but only in how it mounts to the rear mount. EX all models and LX/DX auto uses a taller rear mount and thus a different T bracket. The 5 speed LX/DX mount is a lot stiffer, the auto and EX is more compliant and vacuum controlled for a smoother idle in gear. I will just leave the auto mount and see how it feels.

Well today was a good day. It was 0° outside yesterday but today it decided to be up to 40°F so I took the morning off and ran back to the junkyard for some parts. I started off taking just the things I was missing but it slowly morphed into stripping everything I could for a 5 speed conversion. The donor was a 93 Accord LX.

I grabbed -
      5 speed Brake pedal
      Clutch pedal assy w/ MC
      5 speed Shifter assy w/ cables
      5 speed starter w/ bolts
      5 speed trans H2A5 w/ bolts
      Flywheel and clutch PP bolts
      5 speed intermediate shaft w/ bolts
      5 speed trans mount
      Passenger side CV shaft (didn't exactly need but it was in good shape and factory honda. The Drivers side was already distended and aftermarket junk.)
      Cruise control brain
      Ignition module
      Power mirrors (pair)
      Rear ashtray
      Power window brain

It was not a bad day, I wish I would've grabbed the ECU and Clock but I'll stop back in on Monday and see if it is still there. I have close enough to two complete swaps +/- a few parts. At least I know what to look for when I try to reuse a lot of the hardware.

Comment

Good score! I was about half way there yesterday in Rockford, IL. You might need a shovel on Monday - you're supposed to get a bunch of snow up that way, aren't you?
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

The precip does not excite me now that I have a driveway to maintain. I have a plow truck but planning everything out so I don't run out of room to shove snow around is interesting.

Plus I am out of room indoors at the moment and 2 of the three hondas are stuck outside! I may move the coupe in to start on the trans swap.

Comment

Pulled the brown car out to flip around and plowed the spot to get going on the rear suspension swap. I tried taking the arms off of the crossmember, which was a mistake. The front lower arms to crossmember bolts are locked up pretty good so I took the member off with them still attached. I did the same for the bent member/arms and it went much smoother.

The crossmember mount/nutplate was pretty bent on the blue car. I used a spare axe handle on the bolt to slowly bend it back straight and everything bolted right up.

As well as the spindle/arms bolt.

All better again. I plan on checking the alignment here soon.

I was surprised how well everything went and regret not getting it done sooner. I may take a crack at straightening the cross member to get it to bolt up to the brown car. I would also have to work on the spindle bolt, which could be challenging to get just right based on how tight it fits stock. I could prolly get the crossmember on with 3 bolts but that spindle bolt might be a challenge.
            Last edited by Ghostwhite; 01-14-2020, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I picked up some plywood and made some room indoors for the coupe, its conversion will start one of these days soon. Had to push it in solo, not as fun.

It was so cold it took 8 tries to get a clear picture, one without breath steam all over.

Comment

Ya. moving cb7 solo is not easy. haha Pretty soon you'll have the largest collection of cb7s in town

Comment

I don’t know how your doing all that work out in the elements. Seeing the snow makes me cold just looking at it. I have family up in Minnesota and y’all are getting some serious snow this year!
                  ~Nick~
                  FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                  MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

It is easier to move if you put a socket on a front axle nut (left side if moving it backward, right side if forward) and a cheater bar on the ratchet to gain more mechanical advantage than just pushing.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

That's a good tip fleetw00d! It will probably come in handy sometime soon.

We have been getting quite a bit, just this morning I was doing some plowing on the driveway and pushed the pile a little too far into the ditch and got stuck. With no one else home to help I dug and dug to get everything free of the snow but it was just slick enough to not let me out. I managed to spit out a front wheel u-joint though and had to leave the truck at the end of the drive till I get off work tonight.

At least I was cleaning up the last little bit of the end of the drive as there was a huge pile in the middle when I started shoving it into the ditch, I woulda had a helluva time snow blowing to get the car by. I felt embarrassed to have to leave it there all day when I left for work but I'll be able to give it a jerk with another truck when both I and the wife are home.

Comment

I hate when that happens. Good luck with it.

I had the left front wheel come off a Ford F150 once and roll into a corn field - I couldn't find it until the next day.

Comment

Nice to see another Minnesotan that is active on here. With all the snow this year and looking like you are in a bigger plot of land maybe a skid loader is in order lol

Comment

Originally posted by ol blue View Post
                            Nice to see another Minnesotan that is active on here. With all the snow this year and looking like you are in a bigger plot of land maybe a skid loader is in order lol
                            Indeed, I have a bobcat but haven't put the bucket on it this year, its got a fork mast. I need to get a real tractor with snow blower.

I have gotten some more work done on the coupe. 5 speed is in, I forgot to check the bellhousing dowels and ended up with one in the motor and one in the trans on the firewall side. That caused some confusion on why things wouldn't line up to go in and I ended up having to drop the trans to get the bent engine dowel out with some mapp gas heat. I used the ESP conversion mount in case I want to go back to an auto for some reason in the future. Brake pedal, clutch pedal assy./line and shifter assy. are in. I have a few bolts to snug up on the passenger side suspension and still need to grab a drivers side CV from the JY or roll the dice on a napa unit before finishing the drivers side. Trans came without a drain plug so I will get a generic from Oreillys, auto to manual is a different size plug and my lude trans didn't have one.

I still need to change the crank pulley, may steal the one off the tan car, and then sort the rear brake leaks.

I haven't bothered with the blue car yet, I have a rear wheel bearing to put in.

My plow truck decided to spit out the starter, breaking the mounting bolts and leaving the threads up in the block recessed an inch deep. Not fun but eventually left had bits got the old bolt pieces out, one of the holes wasn't perfect anymore but it had some threads left. New bolts and an added homemade bracket to replace a bracket to support the rear of the starter that was missing. I hold my breath, knock on wood, cross my fingers and say a prayer every time I turn the key.

Comment

Sounds like you need to move to Florida. I’m sure you could pull a drain plug from a junkyard or Paul(Fleetwood) might have one. I’ll check and see if I have one laying around.
                              ~Nick~
                              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                                Sounds like you need to move to Florida. I’m sure you could pull a drain plug from a junkyard or Paul(Fleetwood) might have one. I’ll check and see if I have one laying around.
                                I have one that appears to maybe be an oversized one (has slots in the end like it is supposed to tap its own threads - it fits a pan that I had powder coated. I looked through my boxes of random bolts and nuts (one of these days I'll sort them); didn't find one that looks like OEM.

Comment

Working...
                                X