made poly motor mounts, but it ripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

made poly motor mounts, but it ripped

I ordered some 60a poly for my 99 mercury villager van from mcmastercarr. the van always killed motor mounts in 6 months, I even filled it with window weld and reinforced the gaps with some hard bushings. So this is why I wanted pure poly. I burned all the old rubber so I can get the full benifit of poly, and made sure I marked where the hole went. I wire brushed everything and then filled it with the poly. I needed 2 kits but each kit I mixed individually.

I let it dry for 7 days in my garage, and its only been a maximum of 80 degrees here in my area. Went to install them yesterday and they felt nice. The car didnt really vibrate and the shifts were nice.

But after about 20 minutes the vibrations came and this loud bang came when I would press on the gas slightly hard then let off. It also had a good bounce when you would initially hit the throttle.

I took a look and one of the mounts ripped from the center all the way to the outer shell! It was a smaller mount than all the others, and it was on the transmission side (transverse motor).

So how come it did this? it ripped like cheeze and a stick. I dont think the other mounts did the same but ill check tonight. I emailed the company and they said that they dont recommend their stuff for automotive applications, but they will gladly refund one kit. Should I buy some 80a just for that one mount?
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Id try some 80a and let it sit as long as you can. make sure you mix it really well too. It sounds like it didnt cure enough or your mix wasnt fully catalyzed. if it does it again you might have some other issues going on. Maybe try going back to stock with that one mount, it might need to have some wiggle room good luck

Comment

Were the mounts torn before you put the urethane in them? That could've been a factor, if they were.

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
        I ordered some 60a poly for my 99 mercury villager van from mcmastercarr. the van always killed motor mounts in 6 months, I even filled it with window weld and reinforced the gaps with some hard bushings. So this is why I wanted pure poly. I burned all the old rubber so I can get the full benifit of poly, and made sure I marked where the hole went. I wire brushed everything and then filled it with the poly. I needed 2 kits but each kit I mixed individually.
        this is your reason why they failed. when you fill the mounts with polyurethane the mounts have to be fully functional meaning no rips (small tears are ok because you will be filling them) thats how they add extra strength to the stock rubbers the way you did it may sound like it will hold stronger but it wont because the polyurethane itself inside the mount wont have a good grip.. buy a new mount or get a good used one and fill it where the gaps are and you will have a super strong motor mount

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
        "2SIIC"
        Authentic Jerseys for sale
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

Originally posted by Davids92Accord View Post
          this is your reason why they failed. when you fill the mounts with polyurethane the mounts have to be fully functional meaning no rips (small tears are ok because you will be filling them) thats how they add extra strength to the stock rubbers the way you did it may sound like it will hold stronger but it wont because the polyurethane itself inside the mount wont have a good grip.. buy a new mount or get a good used one and fill it where the gaps are and you will have a super strong motor mount
          Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Were the mounts torn before you put the urethane in them? That could've been a factor, if they were.
          I burned out all the old rubber so that there was nothing left. I didnt want to take a chance of any of the old stuff being left behind. But even my old mount that was broke, didnt rip like this one.

But if this one didnt cure, then how come all the other ones are ok?
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
            I burned out all the old rubber so that there was nothing left. I didnt want to take a chance of any of the old stuff being left behind. But even my old mount that was broke, didnt rip like this one.

But if this one didnt cure, then how come all the other ones are ok?
            it just depends on how well the polyurethane bonds with the mount itself also if all the other ones are fine then that means the one that didnt survive feels most of the movement the engine makes which contributes to it coming apart..

i have my front and rear motor mounts filled with polyurethane inside the original rubber. the reason i just did those is because those two mounts are the ones that get more stress the the tranny mounts and driver side mount.. its been 6 years since i have filled them and they have not ripped or came apart.. keep in mind i used a liquid nails polyurethane i bought at home depot
            Last edited by Davids92Accord; 05-21-2012, 05:50 PM.

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
            "2SIIC"
            Authentic Jerseys for sale
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

I just took a look at all of them. They didnt rip through , but they sure did get messed up. It looks as though the poly got compressed and made a channel inside the mount. This freakin blows. The poly seems hard, even in the middle of the mount.

Maybe it just cant take the torque of my motor. So now I got 4 useless mounts lol.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

after I pulled them out, they are all still the same as I put them in. even after a week the stiffness didnt change.

Surprisingly mcmaster sent me a half refund, when they initially said store credit.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Working...
                X