how to check ECT Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to check ECT Sensor

I got a 92 accord ex coupe and i want to check if my ECT Sensor is bad. How do i do this? is this the sensor that connects to my dash coolant temp gauge?
    Last edited by zedjr10; 06-23-2017, 08:07 PM.

There's more than one. One for the ECU, one for the fans, and another for the gauge (I think)

What makes you think you have a bad sensor? You test it with a DMM. Checking resistance.
    Last edited by F22Chris; 06-26-2017, 02:59 AM.

Comment

time to invest in a manual

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
        There's more than one. One for the ECU, one for the fans, and another for the gauge (I think)

What makes you think you have a bad sensor? You test it with a DMM. Checking resistance.
        I thought it might be related to my car getting bad gas mileage. I don't quite understand the ECT but after cleaning and pipe plug porting my egr system my car is getting even worse gas mileage. It was around 17 to 18 city mpg and now 16 to 17 city mpg. Am changing the o2 sensor this week and hopefully it is that but wanted to check my ect sensor.

Comment

It's main function is to adjust the fuel mixture on cold starts. Replaced chokes for fuel injected vehicles. Most mixture changes should come from the o2 sensor values when at operating temperature. Hondas use heated o2 sensors as well, so it should give the ECU readings within seconds in some cases.

Make sure you don't have any dragging calipers, alignment issues, and have properly inflated tires. Colorado is also kind of high above sea level, so around 20mpg might be correct for the given altitude.

Comment

It's main function is to adjust the fuel mixture on cold starts. Replaced chokes for fuel injected vehicles. Most mixture changes should come from the o2 sensor values when at operating temperature. Hondas use heated o2 sensors as well, so it should give the ECU readings within seconds in some cases.

Make sure you don't have any dragging calipers, alignment issues, and have properly inflated tires. Colorado is also kind of high above sea level, so around 20mpg might be correct for the given altitude.
            20 city mpg i can accept for this altitude but 16 to 17 i can't. Alignment and everything else is fine. Car has been almost mechanically rebuilt in last 8 months. I will replace my o2 sensor first as it arrived today and then see if it gets better.

Comment

o2 changed and it definitely seemed to drive better right after i changed it. Not so sure now after about 120 miles driven. At lower rpm's there is again a slight gallop in acceleration accompanied with lower torque at about 2200 rpm's and below. Gas mileage still at 16 to 17 city mpg. Can an o2 go bad that quick and if it did what would cause that. Could my cat be clogged up or something. What else could it be. ECT, cat converter, clogged fuel injectors? Car runs perfect otherwise and on highway seems to get gas mileage as it should. Should i make a new post about this as this is far from original topic.

Comment

No i haven't tested it with a dmm. What is a dmm? I want to check the one for the ecu as that is the one that would affect gas mileage right? Where is that one?

[edit] i was just thinking and about 9 months ago i remember having to glue back on the tip to charcoal canister coming from egr i believe. I wasn't sure i got it sealed back on there but i hear no vacuum leaks. I probably wouldn't even hear a line that is clogged with super glue. It was one of those i hope, i guess, i pray this is ok but not sure at all. [edit]

[2ndedit] Got a new evap canister with the pvc solenoid valve on top(94&up are different) and cleaned the MAP sensor inside of that black box located on firewall and my mpg has skyrocketed it seems. Drove to Boulder and back on 3 to 4 gallons(95 miles approx). Not sure which did it. Am probably going to say it was mostly the pcv solenoid valve as the pcv valve i guess wasn't opening. [2ndedit]
                Last edited by zedjr10; 07-11-2017, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X