How can i adjust steering wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can i adjust steering wheel?

I got a 92 accord ex 5 speed and i want to slightly turn my steering wheel to the left. Center it basically. How can this be done. My steering and ride control is great. Just steering wheel is very slightly leaning to right(passengers side). Is there a simple way of doing this?

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
    I got a 92 accord ex 5 speed and i want to slightly turn my steering wheel to the left. Center it basically. How can this be done. My steering and ride control is great. Just steering wheel is very slightly leaning to right(passengers side). Is there a simple way of doing this?
    when driving, if you let go off the wheel does it drive straight or pull to the left? Usually a crooked steering wheel is a sign of alignement issues as you have to hold the wheel angled to compensate for pull or if was not centered correctly by the alignment guy when it was aligned(this has happed before). If its indeed an aligment issue then physically moving the wheel a tooth or two will simply hide the problem instead of fixing it
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Also, if the wheel isn't centered on the steering rack spline correctly, your turn signals wouldn't auto click off after making a turn. I made that mistake when i test fit my S2000 wheel, and put the stock one back on. Drove a week manually having to turn the signals off.

Like Crank said, its probably an alignment issue. Even if the car drives straight and is within spec, it means the tech didn't center the wheel the last time the alignment was done. So it may be worth having the front redone. And when you do, drive around the block and make sure all is good and straight after the alignment.

Comment

Check some local tires stores, some will check the alignment free. If everything is well and good, then the relative position of the wheel can be tweaked by using the tie rods.

I just had an alignment done on my SE, and the wheel had to be held slightly to the left when going straight. I thought about taking it back, but that was going to take more time than to deal with it myself. I shortened the left tie rod 1/3 turn and lengthened the right tie rod by 1/3 turn. Wheel is now centered.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

its a wheel issue and not alignment i guess as i have had 3 alignments in last 9 months getting this car mechanically perfect. It is very very slight and just and annoyance to me more so. I honestly don't want to mess with my tie rods at all. The shop doesn't warranty it alignments they said. I bet if i get really upset they will do these slight adjustments for free though. And i wont let firestone (they did first alignment) change a bulb on my car(bunch of fkn idiots there).

Comment

Mine was just an annoying steering wheel issue as well, adjusting one rod in and the other out by the same amount doesn't affect the alignment of the wheels relative to one another, but just tweaks the position of the steering wheel relative to the front wheels. Post a picture of how far off the steering wheel is and I'll compare it to how far mine was out and estimate how many turns is might take to correct.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Try this first; switch your two front tires, if the pull switches side then you have tire pull caused by uneven wear or tread separation. If after switching tires the pull changes you could rotate the tires and install the rear in the front, I had some falken a decade ago that pulled bad due to tread pull, I placed that tire in the back and made a note to never place it up front. Physically moving the wheel will simply cause the whole steering system to be off center

Comment

when you get an alignment you have to request to level the steering wheel or they just do the alignment and get you out...but no there is no "easy" way other than getting an alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                  when you get an alignment you have to request to level the steering wheel or they just do the alignment and get you out...but no there is no "easy" way other than getting an alignment.
                  OK Gotcha. I did tell them that but they seemed to not care i guess or service manager didn't relay that to tech. I can live with it for now i guess. As i am not paying another 70 bucks so soon. It's got brand new tires(put on before alignment).

Comment

Look around at different shops, my alignment/ tire guy gives 3 month warranty on the work and in situation as yours they even rotated the tires on my wife's car for free to determine if that was the issue and correct the pull; all for $35.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                      Mine was just an annoying steering wheel issue as well, adjusting one rod in and the other out by the same amount doesn't affect the alignment of the wheels relative to one another, but just tweaks the position of the steering wheel relative to the front wheels. Post a picture of how far off the steering wheel is and I'll compare it to how far mine was out and estimate how many turns is might take to correct.
                      It is very slight but annoying. Never have adjusted outer rods before. Will be first time but i know it is pretty easy. Gotten pretty familiar with my suspension. Probably the smallest adjustment will fix this to my satisfaction. Got to replace my alternator belt first and flush my brakes before i do this though.

Comment

could be they leveled it, did a piss poor alignment job, once you jounced the suspension and it settled, thats what you were left with, if its fairly recent go back tell them to redo it, its not right, but also keep a close eye on your tires for uneven wear which might even be accelerated on one tire.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                          Yeah I learned this a few months ago...you would think they would do it automatically but apparently not.
                          Keep Pushing..

Comment

Working...
                          X