Mitsuba vs denso starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitsuba vs denso starter

Hey all. Few months ago my starter went out on me, not knowing there was a difference in brand and style, i pick one up from autozone (autozone sells remanufactured mitsuba/cme style starters)and install it. The starter is very weak and causes a metal grind/scrape sound each time it starts after at least 3 "chugs", some times i have to completely turn the key to no power and turn key on again to get a start, so thinking the starter is faulty i end up replace that starter through replacement warranty. and again the new starter does same exact thing so i just pick one up from a junkyard which i believe is a cme/mitsuba style as the label was badly warn and faded, this starter again does the same exact thing (all 3 passed autozone's starter test). My question is, in the u.s version cb7 (1992 honda accord ex sedan auto trans) does it come stock with the longer shaft mitsuba starter or the shorter shaft denso starter, or does it make much of a difference and ive just purchased 3 dud starters?

Check that you have a good connection at both ends of both battery cables. I had slow crank issues with one where the negative cable connection to the transmission housing was corroded and loose. Make sure the cables themselves aren't corroded as well.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

First off thanks fleetwood, of all the qs ive posted since being a member here its seems more often than not you have given answers "kudos"...
      As far as i can see (clearly) the battery has no corrosion whatsoever as i spend lots of time under the hood usually do stuff requiring battery disconnection and i clean the terminals each time i reconnect. Car has original cable covers on all wires and cables, but at the starter connectors are pretty descent aside from everyday dirt weather and engine deposits, im not sure where the starter to trans cable is exactly or where it connects to the trans but im sure id have to remove a few components to get to it (though i may be wrong) but as far as i can tell the electrical connection are sufficient...im going to try the more expensive denso starter next pay day but this will be an online purchase and will not provide the lifetime warranty the parts chains offer, i just dont want to keep forking money on these starter that dont work properly (they do eventually start the car). When i first purchased the car and the first few months after it fired right up no hesitation no grinding,zilch. As soon as i put the first az starter in ive had this persisting problem..i know the mitsuba has an inch or more shaft that protrudes from the pinion gear and the denso basically just has the gear teeth with maybe a few centimeter shaft protruding beyond the gear teeth. Im not sure if the first replaced (bought with car) was the original (i doubt it) but the car had been maintained well, and being rushed, know it all, eager whatever have you i failed to analize the starter when i removed it and just put the new one in.

Comment

First off thanks fleetwood, of all the qs ive posted since being a member here its seems more often than not you have given answers "kudos"...
        As far as i can see (clearly) the battery has no corrosion whatsoever as i spend lots of time under the hood usually do stuff requiring battery disconnection and i clean the terminals each time i reconnect. Car has original cable covers on all wires and cables, but at the starter connectors are pretty descent aside from everyday dirt weather and engine deposits, im not sure where the starter to trans cable is exactly or where it connects to the trans but im sure id have to remove a few components to get to it (though i may be wrong) but as far as i can tell the electrical connection are sufficient...im going to try the more expensive denso starter next pay day but this will be an online purchase and will not provide the lifetime warranty the parts chains offer, i just dont want to keep forking money on these starter that dont work properly (they do eventually start the car). When i first purchased the car and the first few months after it fired right up no hesitation no grinding,zilch. As soon as i put the first az starter in ive had this persisting problem..i know the mitsuba has an inch or more shaft that protrudes from the pinion gear and the denso basically just has the gear teeth with maybe a few centimeter shaft protruding beyond the gear teeth. Im not sure if the first replaced (bought with car) was the original (i doubt it) but the car had been maintained well, and being rushed, know it all, eager whatever have you i failed to analize the starter when i removed it and just put the new one in.

Comment

Sorry for the double post my smartphon has Alzheimer's

Comment

Working...
          X