F20b vtec/f22a hybrid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F20b vtec/f22a hybrid?

So basically I have a f20b (auto cam). I dynod at 195 hp 156tq which isn't bad but I would like a little more low end. And to be honest I want to build a motor. And this combo came to mind. The f20b head with f22a block. I'm basically just using the f20b pistons and head. F20b pistons on f22 rods with f20b should work with no worries about hot spots because both engines have the same bore. This build shouldn't cost much seeing that I have most of the parts already, so should be a good bang for the buck build. My question is will this setup(basically adding more displacement to my f20b) be worth it. Will I actually see an increase in hp/tq. If so how come I haven heard of this setup before?

Your oil drain ports are not going to match on the head. It's one of the prime concerns of people doing H22A heads on F22A/B bottom ends as well. All you've done is matched the bore size.

Why don't you just source an F23A rotating assembly and stuff that in your F20B block? You'll lose rod ratio for revving but you'll gain a lot of torque down low.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I'm aware of the oil ports, head gaskets and timing components. Bascally the same building info as a g22 or g23. With all that aside Im wondering what the out come will be.
      After talking to a friend, I think he's on here Oscar tel doro? Anyway he advise me that the f23 crank and rods wouldn't work with my pistons. That the piston would stick out about 1mm out of the block.

Comment

If you used the F20B pistons on the F22A rods and crank it's still going to stick out of the block but only arounf .020". Still, the pistons use a floating pin instead of being press-fit so you'd need to have the rods rebushed. Typically that will cost around $20/rod.

I'm doing something very similar to what I suggested to you. Use the 55mm main F23A crankshaft and rods and pair them with K20A2 pistons to restore lost compression. You'll need to bore the block but it will be more displacement added. Either way, I wouldn't put an F20B head on an F22A block.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

It's essentially the same as the H22A head on the F22A block, only with inferior cams... and you can find literally DOZENS of rants by me as to why that's not a good idea.

If you want a DOHC VTEC engine with more displacement, sell your F20B and buy an H22A, or even an H23A VTEC (though I'm not a fan of those, personally.)
          Really, .2L isn't THAT big a difference.

If you want to do something creative, get yourself an inexpensive M45 supercharger. You can find one for $300 or so (in fact, I'm probably going to be selling mine soon.) Your 2.0L displacement is about right for it (2.2 is a bit too large, though it works.) That will give you more low end, AND it'll be unique. It'll just take some careful planning.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            Why don't you just source an F23A rotating assembly and stuff that in your F20B block? You'll lose rod ratio for revving but you'll gain a lot of torque down low.
            This thread is over

You would succeed if you went this route and not another.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7k-9 unit View Post
              So basically I have a f20b (auto cam). I dynod at 195 hp 156tq which isn't bad but I would like a little more low end.
              I'm curious as to how you got those numbers. Is it just a stock swap or was it tuned by Oscar and Vic? I've never seen an F20B make that much. My JDM H22 on it's best pull did 180/160 on a simple street tune. I would be very curious to see the dyno sheet, if so upload it to the Dyno Thread in the N/A Sub-Forum.
              '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
              If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

A bone-stock auto F20B should make closer to 150whp. To gain nearly 50whp, you must have some pretty good mods, or a very inaccurate dyno! I missed that when reading the first post (I was more interested in what you wanted to do, not what you already have.)

Comment

Holy crap! If I had those numbers on an automatic-camshaft F20B I'd leave it exactly like it is.

Comment

My H22A is making 180whp tops, I'm quite sure. If I hit 185whp, I'd be amazed.

Comment

Yea I was wodnering what kind of mods he had to have to get there. I mean tuning can net some impressive gains over stock but to garner roughly an extra 40whp on a non forced induction engine would be insane. With Oscar being the "G22 King" it wouldn't phase me if he already has shoved some stuff up in there.

Comment

max I seen on a stock bottom end h22 was 213hp. the cams were stage 2 i believe since there wasnt enough compression to go with a more aggresive cam shaft.

either way its not impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          It's essentially the same as the H22A head on the F22A block, only with inferior cams... and you can find literally DOZENS of rants by me as to why that's not a good idea.

If you want a DOHC VTEC engine with more displacement, sell your F20B and buy an H22A, or even an H23A VTEC (though I'm not a fan of those, personally.)
                          Really, .2L isn't THAT big a difference.

If you want to do something creative, get yourself an inexpensive M45 supercharger. You can find one for $300 or so (in fact, I'm probably going to be selling mine soon.) Your 2.0L displacement is about right for it (2.2 is a bit too large, though it works.) That will give you more low end, AND it'll be unique. It'll just take some careful planning.
                          the .2l is not the difference deev, its the 5mm in stroke
                          imagine if your legs had 5% more muscle

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
                          I'm curious as to how you got those numbers. Is it just a stock swap or was it tuned by Oscar and Vic? I've never seen an F20B make that much. My JDM H22 on it's best pull did 180/160 on a simple street tune. I would be very curious to see the dyno sheet, if so upload it to the Dyno Thread in the N/A Sub-Forum.
                          this car is in s fl joey not jax,

the reason why i think you guys are getting lower numbers is " i guess altitude", because here in florida, stock 'tuned' not base mapped h22a make 197whp everyday, and 215whp is the most pulled by a jdmh22a owned by a member of this forum fully bolted on a t2w4 tranny

cb7k-9 really did those numbers, a f20b in the 170s would never in its life keep up with h22as in the 190-200whp mark

this goes to show what real tuning can do to engines, this engine was tuned really agressive
                          timing plays a real part on how engines run, cb7k9 has a dyno graph and video to prove
                          Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

In no way does this thread need to turn into a discussion as to what realistic dyno numbers are for an H22A, or even the F20B for that matter. If you want to comment on what he's asking then go ahead. Otherwise there are plenty of places to discuss H22A dyno numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett
                              In no way does this thread need to turn into a discussion as to what realistic dyno numbers are for an H22A, or even the F20B for that matter. If you want to comment on what he's asking then go ahead. Otherwise there are plenty of places to discuss H22A dyno numbers.

We're not going to turn it into one of those threads. But I would be very curious to dyno my car in South Florida now.

Originally posted by PR CB7
                              this car is in s fl joey not jax,

the reason why i think you guys are getting lower numbers is " i guess altitude", because here in florida, stock 'tuned' not base mapped h22a make 197whp everyday, and 215whp is the most pulled by a jdmh22a owned by a member of this forum fully bolted on a t2w4 tranny

cb7k-9 really did those numbers, a f20b in the 170s would never in its life keep up with h22as in the 190-200whp mark

this goes to show what real tuning can do to engines, this engine was tuned really agressive
                              timing plays a real part on how engines run, cb7k9 has a dyno graph and video to prove

Oscar, are you verifying that Vic did the tune? If so I'll call him tomorrow, LMAO. I'm not calling B.S. on anything it just kind of came as a "shock". But DO get him to post up the Dyno and/or video in the dyno thread, we do need a Number 10 spot filled, and whenever you can get your G22 up do so as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X