Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What causes shocks to blow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What causes shocks to blow?

I got a really good deal on tokico blue's from a buddy of mine and I need to pair them with springs. I'm looking for a roughly ~2 inch drop (very little less or more), and I know that tokico blue's are pretty much just OEM replacements, but this is the best I can do. So while looking for springs, my noob question is what causes the shocks to blow? Is it how low the springs drop your car or is it the spring rates or both? I've referred to the lowering spring compilation thread but I'm not sure which springs to choose from. Do I choose a pair that's closest to stock spring rates? I'm not looking for an amazing ride or anything I just want to be lower and not bounce too much.

Shocks are valved to work with a particular height and spring rate. Springs that lower the car beyond the shock's capabilities result in the shock essentially being partially compressed at all times, and often compressing beyond the designed limits. The valving is there to allow a certain amount of fluid or gas through at a certain rate, in order to compress and rebound effectively with the springs. When the spring rate is wrong for the shock, this valving doesn't work as it is supposed to.
    Have you ever played with a paddleball? Rubber ball on a rubber string attached to a wooden paddle? When you get the rhythm right, the ball bounces effectively. Get it wrong, and it's fighting itself. Think of the valving/spring rate being kinda like that (a very sketchy description, but it puts it into perspective somewhat.)

Comment

eBay. Sleeves.

Comment

So you want to look for the closest spring rates to shock, AND take into account the drop that it gives if you're not pairing with the greater struts like koni yellows?

Comment

i was rocking tokico blues on ebay sleeves for a lil bit then I switched to factory suspension. I can tell you that it rode like shit but I can tell you that the shocks are great. Look on the forum, there is a sticky on what springs you can best used with them.

Live Life to the Fullest

Comment

Originally posted by heretoaskstuff View Post
            eBay. Sleeves.
            If you don't have the sense to give proper advice, please don't waste anyone's time. I'd hate to hear that someone on here crashed because they took suspension advice from a fool.

Comment

I hope the shocks aren't used. I had used Tokico Illuminas on my last CB and they rode like ass. Pretty sure they were blown. Just buy new.

Originally posted by lordoja
              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

you should be okay using those shocks on a 2" drop. Its not the drop that causes them to blow, its the spring rates.

For instance, I just lowered my 4dr. I used Tein springs front and rear. 2.1" drop front and 1.7" rear, the rates are actually softer in the rear by 18% and a little bit firmer in the front by I think 10%.

I'm not using original shocks though, I got some new monroes for the rear, since I found them for 30 bucks/pair and KYB GR2s for the front that were very low mileage.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  If you don't have the sense to give proper advice, please don't waste anyone's time. I'd hate to hear that someone on here crashed because they took suspension advice from a fool.
                  Nooooo I was saying eBay sleeves will blow your struts. Not advising him to buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by heretoaskstuff View Post
                    Nooooo I was saying eBay sleeves will blow your struts. Not advising him to buy them.
                    Might want to be more specific in your answers then, I thought the same thing Deev thought.

Three things you NEVER cheap out on, Suspension, Tires, and Brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                      you should be okay using those shocks on a 2" drop. Its not the drop that causes them to blow, its the spring rates.

For instance, I just lowered my 4dr. I used Tein springs front and rear. 2.1" drop front and 1.7" rear, the rates are actually softer in the rear by 18% and a little bit firmer in the front by I think 10%.

I'm not using original shocks though, I got some new monroes for the rear, since I found them for 30 bucks/pair and KYB GR2s for the front that were very low mileage.
                      Not necessarily. As I said in my original response, the height does matter. A shock is designed for a certain amount of piston travel. Tokico HP (blues) will really only withstand a drop of about 1", which is barely noticeable. People have gone lower on them (and on KYB GR2s, and even stock shocks...) and they were "fine"... but they weren't functioning as designed. Often, the rest of the suspension is so worn and crappy, and the driver so unaware of how suspensions actually function, that they don't even notice the mismatch, or even when the shocks have blown!

Comment

Op, Just make sure you do things right the first time. Dont waste time, money and safety on bad crap.

BB6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200445<Summer Lover
                        BD6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194262<Dailey/Future AutoX
                        Mazda 6s->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201313<Wifes
                        CB7->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189108<Sold

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post
                          Might want to be more specific in your answers then, I thought the same thing Deev thought.

Three things you NEVER cheap out on, Suspension, Tires, and Brakes.
                          I understand.

Comment

Also too many fatties riding along

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
                            It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

I raised my car recently so I could fit more fatties.

Comment

Working...
                              X