This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

red/clears, red/white, civic si... tails, tails, tails!!!!! FAQ

i figured the question gets asked enough, so i'd make yet another faq.

what are red/clear tail lights?

simply a replacement of oem tails:

kmart's oem 92/93 sedan tail lights

with tails that are red/clear:

phatdoughnut's red/clear 90/91 tail lights

cpmike's red/clear 92/93 tail lights

other names for red/clear tail lights
    red/white tail lights
    civic si tail lights

i have a 1990 coupe, can i put red/clear tail lights in?
    yes.

i have a 1990 sedan, can i put red/clear tail lights in?
    yes.

i have a 1991 accord coupe, can i put red/clear tail lights in?
    yes.

i have a 1991 sedan, can i put red/clear tail lights in?
    yes.

1990-1991 coupe and sedan tail lights are the same! the tail lights for 1990 coupe will fit a 1991 sedan and vice versa.

i have a 1992 coupe, can i put red/clear tail lights in?
    with a stock coupe trunk, no.

why not?
    manufacturers do not make red/clear tail lights for 1992 coupes.

i have a 1993 coupe, can i put red/clear tail lights in?
    with a stock coupe trunk, no.

why not?
    manufacturers do not make red/clear tail lights for 1993 coupes.

i have a 1992 sedan, can i put red/clear tail lights in?
    yes.

i have a 1993 sedan, can i put red/clear tail lights in?
    yes.

why do 1992-1993 coupes get shafted?!
    honda decided that our beloved cb7s needed a minor facelift after the 1991 edition... that the coupes and sedans needed distinction. thus, different tail lights were chosen for the coupe and sedan.

well, i own a 1992-1993 coupe, and i want red/clear tail lights! what can i do?!

well, i suppose you could try and convince manufacturers to make them, and help all coupe owners out!

you cannot make the oem tail lights into red/clears... in other words, the amber/orange reflector is not removable.

but, you could do a trunk swap! either you could swap on a 1990/1991 trunk (coupe or sedan would not matter, as they are the same), or you could swap on a 1992/1993 sedan trunk. the 1990/1991 trunk is likely more difficult, as the red brake lamp is below, and the turn light is above... which is reversed from the 1992/1993 lights which have the red brake lamp above, and the turn signals below (if confused, refer to pics above- phatdoughnut versus cpmike).

you've mentioned this trunk swap... what does it take to do it?

cpmike has come through and provided us with the info on that.

accordtunerx's 1992 coupe with trunk swap

what tail light bulbs will i use in the red/clear tail lights?
    use stock in the portions that are red.
    use amber in the portions that are clear, to avoid being hassled by the police. use stock in the portions that are clear if you don't care about being hassled, or don't think you'll be hassled.

oh where oh where can i find a set of red/clear tail lights?
    www.ebay.com
    www.nopi.com
    www.matrixracing.com
    www.procarparts.com
    classifieds on here
    classifieds on other forums: www.accordtuner.com, www.superhonda.com, www.hondasociety.com
    Last edited by uncle_el; 06-16-2005, 05:01 PM.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

yeah right now i got a set of all clear tails, i wanna do them all red except for the reverse light area. but i cant seem to find any transparent red paint; ive checked out walmart, orielly, autozone, pepboys, etc. do you know where i would be able to find some? last set that i had, i had them painted at the same place i got my car painted. i dont want to pay 60 bux again if i can do it myself.
    what tedious question?

Comment

Originally posted by cb7_driver
      yeah right now i got a set of all clear tails, i wanna do them all red except for the reverse light area. but i cant seem to find any transparent red paint; ive checked out walmart, orielly, autozone, pepboys, etc. do you know where i would be able to find some? last set that i had, i had them painted at the same place i got my car painted. i dont want to pay 60 bux again if i can do it myself.
      hobby lobby
      stores that carry/cater to those who make model trains or r/c cars
      michael's
      arts and crafts stores...

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_el
        hobby lobby
        stores that carry/cater to those who make model trains or r/c cars
        michael's
        arts and crafts stores...
        oh yeah, i should've known that; i worked at Michaels for over a year.
        you ever heard of a brand called testors? they make a transparent red, but after seeing how my friends tails came out, i wasnt sure bout using it. guess he just sux at painting.
        what tedious question?

Comment

Anyone know how to make the reverse lights clear? I've got a 90, and i really dont like the orange/amber lines that go across it, I'd like to have it be completley clear... I had the tails out to fix a leak a little while ago and i concidered just breaking that crap out that's in the area where the reverse lights go, but i didn't want to break 'em... I was thinking about investing in a pair from a junkyard and experimenting, but clearly, that plastic isn't completely orange/amber like the rest of the lights, so maybe those little orange things can come out? anyone know or experimented before??
          --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

i found a website k2motor.com that has them for 90-91 accords for 90 bucks with free shipping
            Previous cb7members ride thread
            86 Nissan d21 in the workshttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=155292

TSM Garage: Honda/Acura, VW/Audi, and Subaru performance and maintenance work.

Comment

The people on e-bay selling tail lights sometimes say that they will fit the sedans, but not the coupes.

Should I assume that this is just a lie? All tail lights that will fit a 91 Accord will definetly fit all models correct?

Comment

SAE/DOT certification- does it really matter as long as you use amber bulbs for turn signals?
                Josh G.

Power Sunroof-equipped LXs #1

www.myspace.com/inkyturbo
                www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=36221

MEMBER OF THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA CB7TUNERS!

Comment

Originally posted by Inkyturbo
                  SAE/DOT certification- does it really matter as long as you use amber bulbs for turn signals?
                  Depends on the inspector. They can fail you for it if they want to be pricks, but most will pass you with amber turn signals.

Comment

Originally posted by FuriousJDMLBM
                    Depends on the inspector. They can fail you for it if they want to be pricks, but most will pass you with amber turn signals.
                    Ah. Thanks.
                    Josh G.

Power Sunroof-equipped LXs #1

www.myspace.com/inkyturbo
                    www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=36221

MEMBER OF THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA CB7TUNERS!

Comment

Most red/clears leak right? Where on the taillights should you seal with clear silicon? Around the entire perimeter between the lense and housing?

Comment

What about light leakage, do all of the red/clears leak white light around the top of them? or is that just certain types?

Comment

Subscribed.
                          After 17 years and 208K miles, I'm not "tuning" my CB7, I'm "restoring" a CLASSIC.

Comment

Originally posted by Ensjesse
                            What about light leakage, do all of the red/clears leak white light around the top of them? or is that just certain types?

Anyone?

Thanks!

Jesse

Comment

I have a 1992 Accord Wagon.........does anyone make red/clear taillights that will fit it?

The lights seem to be different from the 1990-91 tails, but definitely not the same as the 1992-93 lights either.......am I screwed?
                              1992 Accord LX Wagon 248K/155 Miles

Comment

Working...
                              X