F22A Powered Rat Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22A Powered Rat Rod

Here is a crazy idea. How about an F22A powered ratrod. in keeping with the tradition it would need to be carberated have a hell of a lope.

I propose a custom cnc plenum with an edelbrock carb plate on it for a 4 barrel carb

and then a VTEC Killer Cam to take care of the power and lope.

the hard part would be to convert to the old style ignition so the engine would not use a computer of any sort. then to tune it.

i also propose it to be built out of old import cars and trucks for the body.

what do you all think? possible? worth it? I do believe H311RA151N once talked about this but i dont know how in depth he went.
    visit vgruk

If you want to run a carb ignition is easy, get a megajolt to run the distributor. I wouldn't run that 4 barrel on stock runners, the middle cylinders would suck up all the fuel. Maybe 2 Stromberg carbs for that old school look and to not over-carb the little engine.

I've thought about this, years ago, I figured it would look cool if you made a cast aluminum one-piece timing cover, finned for extra coolness and mounted it longitudinally in like a 32 ford roadster back up with a 5 speed of some sort. Biggest roadblock to that idea is that you'd end up with 5 reserve gears and 1 forward. So you'd have to make the engine standard rotation, which would require a custom cam grind. Still doable good F22A's these days are falling off trees.
    Last edited by Accrdwgnguy; 08-20-2015, 10:26 AM.
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

You could also get the necessary carburetor hardware from someone overseas. Carb engines are common over there in CBs (well, as common as CBs are... which isn't terribly common compared to what we're used to!)

I don't imagine it would be very difficult to do. I mean, a rat rod gives you a HUGE amount of room to work. Especially with a relatively small and lightweight engine like the F22A.
      Find a shell to work with, pick up a cheap MIG welder from Harbor Freight to tack things in place. Call in the help of a professional TIG welder to make all the important parts solid... the rest is just up to how creative and patient you are.

Comment

Is the factory F22A camshaft not "VTEC-killer" enough?
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I totally missed the VTEC killer comment!

The F22A needs an extra VTEC fluid reservoir in order to run a VTEC killer cam.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            Is the factory F22A camshaft not "VTEC-killer" enough?
            Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            I totally missed the VTEC killer comment!

The F22A needs an extra VTEC fluid reservoir in order to run a VTEC killer cam.
            what i meant by "VTEC Killer" is this http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/prod...ec_killer.html

which as it turns out they dont make a cam for the f22a. but im sure with a bit of research something similar can be made. hell ill bet you can get something similar if you called delta and said "i need the most aggressive CAM you guys can make for the f22a"
            visit vgruk

Comment

You could also get the necessary carburetor hardware from someone overseas. Carb engines are common over there in CBs (well, as common as CBs are... which isn't terribly common compared to what we're used to!)

I don't imagine it would be very difficult to do. I mean, a rat rod gives you a HUGE amount of room to work. Especially with a relatively small and lightweight engine like the F22A.
              Find a shell to work with, pick up a cheap MIG welder from Harbor Freight to tack things in place. Call in the help of a professional TIG welder to make all the important parts solid... the rest is just up to how creative and patient you are.
              i was unaware that the CB's came carberated at one time. that would make things easier
              visit vgruk

Comment

Like this?

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

See! I told you you weren't banned, Alex!

Ryan, do you understand what a "VTEC killer" cam is? It is a single-profile camshaft for VTEC engines. It eliminates (or "kills") VTEC.

Comment

Fyi, Delta no longer offers anything over the 272. The 282 was a beast and definitely qualifies your criteria.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                    JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

See! I told you you weren't banned, Alex!

Ryan, do you understand what a "VTEC killer" cam is? It is a single-profile camshaft for VTEC engines. It eliminates (or "kills") VTEC.
                      evidently not but i do now
                      visit vgruk

Comment

Fully mechanical CBrat = badassery. Josh was talking about an AWD setup too. Jarrett suggested an H to B with CRV parts. I think this idea is best.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                          Fully mechanical CBrat = badassery. Josh was talking about an AWD setup too. Jarrett suggested an H to B with CRV parts. I think this idea is best.
                          im waiting for Josh to chime in here but yes fully mechanical with all the rat rod goodies.
                          visit vgruk

Comment

Carb an F20C/F22C.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

shit its already been done.

Still cool as fuck though. and gorgeous
                              visit vgruk

Comment

Working...
                              X