distributor reassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

distributor reassembly

Is it at all possible to install the distributor on the engine wrong in terms of the position of the rotor being flipped. I just pulled it off the engine to change the outer gasket , and tried not to spin it while it was off , but it might have spun 180 degrees.

The car doesn't seem like it runs any worse than before , but maybe it's not noticeable if it's wrong?

Yes it is, next time, mark it with a punch or pen.

If you didn't mark the position of the dizzy itself, your timing is probably off too.

Comment

You'll know if you installed it wrong.

If you had to turn the bolts with a wrench down to get the distributor to sit properly then it was installed wrong.

The car won't start when it is installed wrong, because the ears on the distributor will break off (I did this three times in a row).

To correctly install the distributor, remove the cap and turn the rotor while installing the distributor to make sure that it seats correctly. It should sit flush without using the bolts to make it sit flush.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
        Yes it is, next time, mark it with a punch or pen.

If you didn't mark the position of the dizzy itself, your timing is probably off too.
        I did mark the timing spot on the outside. So essentially if it's running pretty similar to how it ran before then it didn't flip at all right?

Would it run bad enough for me to notice that it flipped?

Comment

Originally posted by emosun View Post
          I did mark the timing spot on the outside. So essentially if it's running pretty similar to how it ran before then it didn't flip at all right?

Would it run bad enough for me to notice that it flipped?
          it will either run or it wont run at all. if it wont run at all its 180 degrees off. if it runs then you will need to bust out a timing light to set it perfect. or dont. my white cb has no timing marks so i just set it to where i remember it being and left it.
          visit vgruk

Comment

the pegs on the rotor are actually offset to the side. It would be impossible to reinstall 180deg off.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
              the pegs on the rotor are actually offset to the side. It would be impossible to reinstall 180deg off.
              Sorry. I believe I was thinking of the part that goes into the cam
              visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                I'll have to invite you offer to show you that it's possible. It requires bolting down the distributor to get it to sit flush (the complete wrong way to install the distributor). It breaks the ears off of the distributor part that goes into the motor and once those are broken, the motor will not start.

But, yes, it is possible.

Comment

Working...
                X