CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner "Off Topic"

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,221
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
It'd be a good option in the hands of someone that knows how to use it, or at least someone that can afford to have it properly tuned. Some OBD1 parts would still likely be necessary, such as the distributor.

Overall, the F20B isn't as cheap an option as people think it is... and that is usually the main reason people pick it over the H22A. The other reason is that they want to be different...
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #22
gloryaccordy
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The doomship!
Posts: 8,467
gloryaccordy seems to have made some friends!
Adapting the F22B to the Mitsu trans would be nuts

I would say use Honda's RT-AWD but that has a host of other problems
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoja View Post
im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral
gloryaccordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #23
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,221
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
I don't think it'd take much more than an adapter plate to mate it to the engine, honestly. The engine just turns. As long as the input shaft is compatible (and that can be made to be so), then all will be fine. Modifying the rest of the car would be the hard part... and doing so in a way that allows everything to fit, without thoroughly compromising the integrity of the entire chassis.
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #24
vh22accord
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: murfreesboro TN
Posts: 188
vh22accord is cool... so far.
I remember somewhere reading about a guy doing an awd project with an integra . He used the drive line out of a crv. Might be a another option if your serious about doing this.
__________________

IT IS WHAT IT IS
vh22accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #25
i-07
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: manchvagas nh
Posts: 9,897
i-07 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to i-07 Send a message via MSN to i-07 Send a message via Skype™ to i-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh22accord View Post
I remember somewhere reading about a guy doing an awd project with an integra . He used the drive line out of a crv. Might be a another option if your serious about doing this.
yeah i read that build and the wrecked it rallying it.

but yeah try and find a 5spd first gen crv then get the adapter b/d tran plate to f/h. worth a shot?
__________________
back at it again
i-07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,221
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
It would require just as much custom fab work to use CRV parts as it would to use Evo/DSM parts... and the final product would be much less suitable for the OP's intentions. It would power all 4 wheels, but it wouldn't be ideal for putting down much power, or for sporty driving. A CRV drivetrain would turn a CB7 into a base Impreza.
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #27
i-07
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: manchvagas nh
Posts: 9,897
i-07 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to i-07 Send a message via MSN to i-07 Send a message via Skype™ to i-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
It would require just as much custom fab work to use CRV parts as it would to use Evo/DSM parts... and the final product would be much less suitable for the OP's intentions. It would power all 4 wheels, but it wouldn't be ideal for putting down much power, or for sporty driving. A CRV drivetrain would turn a CB7 into a base Impreza.
true but the other honda 4wd setups are too big to even fit ie the newer gen crvs, then pilots and ridgelines.
that why i sugested the crv drive line since the have put it in integras and civics.

like he could find a wagovan but why rip one of those apart i would just rock the wagovan.
__________________
back at it again
i-07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #28
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,221
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
There's no point to staying Honda, though. Honda doesn't offer a performance sport AWD system (unless perhaps you raid the newest TL-S...) It would fit no better than a system from a DSM (DSM over Evo for cost and availability... and the older EVOs had the same stuff as our DSMs anyway.)
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #29
Smokinspeeds
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: D-Town Texas
Posts: 2,470
Smokinspeeds seems to have made some friends! Smokinspeeds seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Smokinspeeds Send a message via MSN to Smokinspeeds
This thread makes me Almost every member on this board has thought about how great our cars would be 4wd or rwd.
Smokinspeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #30
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,221
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
The thought is always presented as if it was the first time, too... and the person posting it always asks "has anyone done it?"

Only one in maybe a dozen threads like this have I seen the creator of the thread show that they actually put effort into the idea before presenting it. As in "would it be possible to use these parts, and do this?" Normally, it's "can I just take an AWD Mitsubishi or Honda and make my CB7 AWD?" It's never Subaru, never BMW, never VW... always Mitsu and Honda. For some reason, those makes must somehow seem easier to use than others!


I researched making my 86 Accord (in my sig at the moment) RWD using S13 parts. I made a thread about it on 3geez.com, and got laughed at... as expected. However, before I even discussed it, I took measurements of an S13, and measurements of my car, and put together a vague idea of how I'd approach it.
If I had a garage and the necessary equipment and knowledge to weld a car together, I'd probably have done it.
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #31
Smokinspeeds
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: D-Town Texas
Posts: 2,470
Smokinspeeds seems to have made some friends! Smokinspeeds seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Smokinspeeds Send a message via MSN to Smokinspeeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
The thought is always presented as if it was the first time, too... and the person posting it always asks "has anyone done it?"

Only one in maybe a dozen threads like this have I seen the creator of the thread show that they actually put effort into the idea before presenting it. As in "would it be possible to use these parts, and do this?" Normally, it's "can I just take an AWD Mitsubishi or Honda and make my CB7 AWD?" It's never Subaru, never BMW, never VW... always Mitsu and Honda. For some reason, those makes must somehow seem easier to use than others!


I researched making my 86 Accord (in my sig at the moment) RWD using S13 parts. I made a thread about it on 3geez.com, and got laughed at... as expected. However, before I even discussed it, I took measurements of an S13, and measurements of my car, and put together a vague idea of how I'd approach it.
If I had a garage and the necessary equipment and knowledge to weld a car together, I'd probably have done it.
It is true that we don't always know someone's tools and garage capabilities, but it is true that most are not close to the finances and mechanical ability to complete something like rwd or 4wd. But as a community, if someone is serious we would support as best ad we could. It's just.... I can count one local s2k rwd civic I've seen locally, and the mentioned 240 rwd project here on the forum, and the pics of the v8 coupe from long ago. There was a s2k project thameone on here started, but I never saw posts of it being completed. Put that in percentage vs all the threads started and its quite laughable without progress shown.
Smokinspeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #32
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,221
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
You can often tell someone's level of seriousness by the amount of thought they put into it, and how easily they're talked out of it. If you don't realize from the start that it's going to be one hell of an involved project, then you'll only be wasting money if you even begin.
AlmostJDM has made significant progress with his build. It's taking a long time, but he's gone further with it than anyone else on this site has. 90% of the posts in his threads are positive, urging him to keep going.
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #33
DumbleDore!
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 126
DumbleDore! is cool... so far.
There are plenty of options for AWD drivetrains, if I were to do it. I was just wondering what the community thought of an Evo drivetrain specifically. I like the F20B, because 1. it isn't as common as the H22 that nearly everyone with a CB7 or Prelude swaps 2. It has good hp for a stock motor, even an H23A1 has less with a full Apexi catback, high flow cat, and an AEM SRI 3. I probably wouldn't get too involved with internals anyway. Mostly just bolt ons. Plus, there has always been something more appealing about it. I know it wouldn't be cheap, or easy, but it's what I want, and I would be more than happy if I accomplished it. It's just one site I use to check prices, btw.
DumbleDore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #34
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,221
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Because you want it is fine. Because it's different is an idiotic reason. Only a very small percentage of the people that see it will know it's a swap, those that know won't know by sight what it is (most people will think it's a B18, because that's the DOHC VTEC engine everyone uses, right?) Those that know what it is won't be impressed. Those that are impressed will be impressed for about 30 seconds.
If it's what you want powering your car, fine. But don't get that piece of shit engine just to be different. Also, stock for stock, a CB7 with an H23A1 would be just as fast, given the wider powerband and greater torque output. Horsepower isn't everything, especially in larger, heavier cars like ours. ESPECIALLY if you plan on trying to power all 4 wheels!

The Evo drivetrain is a good choice, but damn expensive. Older Evos, the ones we didn't get here, shared their AWD system with the Eclipse and Talon. You'll be much more likely to find a donor Eclipse to rip apart. You're going to need far more than just the AWD stuff. You'll need to cut out portions of that car and weld them to your own.
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #35
gloryaccordy
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The doomship!
Posts: 8,467
gloryaccordy seems to have made some friends!
And then what will you have. A Frankensteined Galant VR4

"Better" idea would be to find an old Mitsubishi Mirage, get the corresponding EVO shipped over, do a mix n match. Been done a ton of times, but those shells are hard to find.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoja View Post
im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral
gloryaccordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #36
Smokinspeeds
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: D-Town Texas
Posts: 2,470
Smokinspeeds seems to have made some friends! Smokinspeeds seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Smokinspeeds Send a message via MSN to Smokinspeeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Because you want it is fine. Because it's different is an idiotic reason. Only a very small percentage of the people that see it will know it's a swap, those that know won't know by sight what it is (most people will think it's a B18, because that's the DOHC VTEC engine everyone uses, right?) Those that know what it is won't be impressed. Those that are impressed will be impressed for about 30 seconds.
If it's what you want powering your car, fine. But don't get that piece of shit engine just to be different. Also, stock for stock, a CB7 with an H23A1 would be just as fast, given the wider powerband and greater torque output. Horsepower isn't everything, especially in larger, heavier cars like ours. ESPECIALLY if you plan on trying to power all 4 wheels!

The Evo drivetrain is a good choice, but damn expensive. Older Evos, the ones we didn't get here, shared their AWD system with the Eclipse and Talon. You'll be much more likely to find a donor Eclipse to rip apart. You're going to need far more than just the AWD stuff. You'll need to cut out portions of that car and weld them to your own.

What he said. Why you would want less torque for awd is beyond me.. I got a story too.. lee, aka da9b16 on cb7tuner put a clean Jdm f20b motor in his wagon last year and it blew up spewing oil everywhere.. while he was cruising at 30mph on the service road... A couple weeks after he swapped it in. And just bolt ons and a tune for pushing an awd system.. you are going to have a slower than stock car... You won't even break traction much with fwd on any swap with just bolt ons, so it's just not worth it IM0
Smokinspeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #37
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,221
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryaccordy View Post
And then what will you have. A Frankensteined Galant VR4

"Better" idea would be to find an old Mitsubishi Mirage, get the corresponding EVO shipped over, do a mix n match. Been done a ton of times, but those shells are hard to find.
I'd get a Galant VR-4, swap in a CB7 interior, run some Accord wheels, and get creative with the body panels to make them look like Accord panels. It'd be easier, and it'd maintain the structural integrity of the car. It would also ensure that everything will function as it should mechanically.

Of course, if I had a Galant VR-4, I wouldn't disgrace it by dressing it up like a CB7.
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #38
scudweiser
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 883
scudweiser seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to scudweiser
Buy a 02-04 WRX wagon, get a stealth FMIC kit and a scoopless hood. Debadge, stock looking exhaust with some bolt on mods. Theres a sleeper for way less money.
__________________
scudweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #39
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,221
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Better than that... get a Saabaru. Saab 9-2x.

But the point here isn't another car. The point is the CB7, or at least a car that looks like a CB7.
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #40
scudweiser
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 883
scudweiser seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to scudweiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Better than that... get a Saabaru. Saab 9-2x.

But the point here isn't another car. The point is the CB7, or at least a car that looks like a CB7.
Looks like a cb7 huh? How about a DB1? You could use a CRV drivetrain, a turbo CR-VTEC hybrid build engine... The path has been blazed for all of this in the past with mixed success.
__________________
scudweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
4wd , awd , drivetrain , motor , swap

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.