X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bkaccord91
    can you do this wit out a buffer ?

not my DIY, but i'll answer.

yeah, you can....but the results will NOT be anywhere near what they would be with a buffer. i strongly reccomend picking up a buffer. one that goes on the end of a drill, a drill attachment[:

then go to work.

also, with hand buffing, the work will be like 10000x harder. trust me.

Comment

sears craftsman has one for around 20 bucks, i use it on all my cars, its perfect.
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I am curious...
        My alloys have scratches in the clear coat. (I have 15" Prelude wheels.)
        Can you just buff it back or do you have to strip them down and then reapply the coat?
        If I have to strip em, what is the best way besides sanding?
        (RIP)1993 LX Sedan
        Frost White Crew Member #36

JDM Beating Stick Owner #1
        My (old) Ride

Comment

Ok I found a better, but longer solution...
          I got a can of aircraft stripper and took the clearcoat completely off.
          I then got out my Mag and Aluminum polish and buffed the crap out of them.
          I'll post pics later when they're finished.
          I hope when I do the caps it doesn't take the "H" off...
          Do any of you know if it will? Or is the "H" a decal underneath?
          I guess I'll know one way or the other in the next few days...
          (RIP)1993 LX Sedan

My (old) Ride

Comment

PLEASE post pics once you finish that man...im curious to see how it'll look (center cap) because mine look funky as hell

Click ^^^ for MR Thread
            Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
            by the way, arguing on the net is like womens basketball, even if you win, no one cares.

Comment

got a question...couldn't you just use the mag polish to get it as shiny as you want, then just spray some clear coat over it for protection?

Click ^^^ for MR Thread
              Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
              by the way, arguing on the net is like womens basketball, even if you win, no one cares.

Comment

i dunno about that but i did this today to my drivers side rear wheel w/o a buffer and i could tell the difference...i think my clear coat is long gone. All i know is that when i clean them with your run of the mill cleaners there is this white hazing that reappears...well not anymore...if your thinking about doing this id say go for it...just dont use the mothers on material it isnt suppose to be used on. The buffer is the sure fire way to go but since i dont have one i just did it by hand...is a lil tougher but i did it the same as you would waxing your car and it was incredible..im going to take before and after of the other 3 and post them...fuckin so sweet. lmao!

Comment

Originally posted by papychulo82
                  got a question...couldn't you just use the mag polish to get it as shiny as you want, then just spray some clear coat over it for protection?
                  Ok man, I used the aircraft stripper on one of the caps awhile back and it took the clear right off, but it also took the H out as well.
                  I am currently running without them b/c I haven't gotten around tog etting wheel locks yet and my lug nuts stick out too far.
                  I plan to get the rims powdercoated clear someday, and I am going to make new H's out of Vinyl before I powder them and then lay that down on top of them. I hope it works.
                  (RIP)1993 LX Sedan

My (old) Ride

Comment

nicely done.....never even thought of it.....i actually still have my stockies that i use during the winter...maybe i will try and giveem a lil polish.
                    My members ride thread

Comment

a tip for getting the wet look...

i used the mag and aluminum polish first, i really didn't need it but i had a few light water spots, so the mag polish is the work horse.

then i used mother's clear coat wheel polish (very hard to find). you can also use plastic polish on the wheels because unlike the clearcoat on your paintjob, the wheel clearcoat has plastic in it (plasticized).

next, 3 coats of mother's sealer and glaze. you can put up to 3 layers before you stop noticing a difference.

and finally, wax. to protect.

after doing this, i noticed a difference. the wheels looked wet to me. i could see reflections before, but now they where much sharper and picking up the color of things around it. hard to do on just clearcoat. later.

Last edited by TypeG; 08-16-2006, 11:25 AM.
                      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

bump this up!

i've been looking for something like this for a while. i'm sure others will also find this handy, especially the n00b's.
                        mrt - '91 frost white ex coupe

Comment

What about clear coated rims? If clear coat is peeling of a rim, what would this do?

H22 Fund Cancelled. Flight training underway.

Comment

use paint stripper to take it all off, polish it, then re-clear (if you want to, not nessecary).

ill be using this method for some...to be announced new modifications

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                            Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                            'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                            Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I got this set of 91 EX rims of ebay. $260 shipped wasn't too bad. But the clearcoat was seriously oxidized.
                              So here I am putting some aircraft stripper to it. BTW any areas that don't have the machine finish have a layer of clear + silver paint. so glob it on thicker in those areas.

Here is the before and after being stripped.
                              I'm still trying to figure out if I want to spary clearcoat or just wax the raw aluminum
                              My CB7 post on my blog
                              My CB7 thread

Comment

Originally posted by typhoon
                                I got this set of 91 EX rims of ebay. $260 shipped wasn't too bad. But the clearcoat was seriously oxidized.
                                So here I am putting some aircraft stripper to it. BTW any areas that don't have the machine finish have a layer of clear + silver paint. so glob it on thicker in those areas.

Here is the before and after being stripped.
                                I'm still trying to figure out if I want to spary clearcoat or just wax the raw aluminum

dam man nice job, wat did u usew 2 scrap it off, like a RAG, i had a hard tiem tryin 2 FIND wat will work the BEST cuz the paint was comin off but wat i was using was messin me up, i was usin a copper brush kinda. something similair to a brillow PAD
                                Last edited by F20A CB7; 06-17-2007, 12:10 PM.
                                **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                                Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                                Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Working...
                                X