No announcement yet.

TheNextEpisode : 1990 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean coupe! I wanted my grille to look like yours but I got an all-black DIY grille instead!
    1990 Accord EX

Comment

Couple updates.

After completely failing my smog check a while back, I cleaned out the EGR ports and had the cat replaced. The EGR process went pretty smoothly.

As this was the first time I had done this, I decided to fully remove the intake manifold and replace the EGR plugs with threaded plugs. I followed wed3k's guide with not too many problems. The slide hammer method of removing the old plugs worked fine, despite several set backs in the form of broken slide hammer screws. Also, I used 7 plugs, instead of 6, as I also cleaned out the end port, running parallel with the EGR tubes.

As there wasn't really room to use the normal T-shaped tap holder, I used a 9 mm ratcheting wrench.

The 7th hole.

And reassembled

The whole process went quite quickly. I used RGV on all the 1/2"-20 plugs.

Hopeful, I returned to the smog check shop. Expecting a perfect run, esp with the new cat, I was confused but relieved to see that it passed JUST under the maximum ratings.

The following week, while running errands, I noticed the engine stuttering between 1800-2500 RPM. A few miles later, I was 'blessed' with a CEL to help me diagnose the problem.

Figuring it was something I bumped while working on the intake manifold, I immediately looked to the fuel delivery system to explain the O2 Sensor CEL. However, upon following the various Honda Service Manual flowcharts for the CEL, it seemed that everything that I had touched was still running within spec.

At that point, I thought I would rule out the simple O2 sensor fault by temporarily replacing it with the unused, but working, O2 sensor from the CRX. While removing the O2 sensor from the Accord downpipe, I managed to break a weakened solder attachment I had made to extend the wires to complement the H22 downpipe O2 sensor location.

Eight new solders and four replaced wires later, I had a new harness for the old Accord O2 sensor. I made a hopeful test run, and found no stuttering and no CEL.

SO, that probably had something to do with my failure and following near failure of my smog check. 180 bucks for the new cat possibly down the drain. On the plus side, the DC header w/ its CARB legal sticker posed no smog check visual issues.

On the negative side, this new cat sounds like crap. There's some very definite rasp between 1800-2100 RPM.

Been making slow progress on the projectors. There's seriously nothing about this project that works the way it should. I'm hoping to have it done in a couple weeks, I'll post a complete process thread once I'm done.

There it is, a log of the uninteresting day-to-day events of my beater.
      Just rolled over 190k the other day.

Just so there's something of interest here, I'm doing two other build projects atm.

More info pending success in both projects.

Comment

man that cb is so damn perfect!!!
        Blake.
        1994 Accord Part out!
        Me and my step dad's 1991 Accord EX Coupe MRT

82 accord-rip, 94 geo-sold, 82 cavilier-rip,81 civic-rip,88 accord- rip, 88 legend- rip, 91 civic- sold,97 geo-sold, 92 accord- sold 94 accord- RIP, 1990 Camry- RIP

Comment

^^^
          Thanks man, it means a lot.

So driveability went down again, about 2 weeks ago. Due to a lack of any wrenching time, I put it off until yesterday.

I pulled three CELs, 1, 41, and 43. Between this and the fact that I was getting the O2 sensor CEL within seconds of starting the engine, I figured the error wasn't a bad reading from the O2 sensor, but more likely no reading at all.

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
          Eight new solders and four replaced wires later, I had a new harness for the old Accord O2 sensor. I made a hopeful test run, and found no stuttering and no CEL.
          Turns out the same thing happened again. A couple solders broke in the O2 extension harness I made back when I had the H22 swap. My F22a1 has the O2 sensor chassis harness attached next to the header, while the H22 and DC headers I've ran in the recent past have the O2 sensor located in the downpipe. I made another 8 solders and extended the O2 harness a little bit more before test driving it again. CELs gone, problem (hopefully) solved.

Also, I went over 195k miles. Looking forward to breaking the 2-0-0 and picking up a 200k mile club sticker haha
          I purchased a 400W Rosewill power inverter for further LED projects as well as the eventual CarPC project I've been planning on. I don't see it actually happening soon, but the planning process is half the fun.

I'm about to make a 250-ish mile run to SD and back. I'll aim for 60-65 mph and report on mpg shortly. Just need to get a decent playlist in order.

Comment

Wow never replied to this thread but your details and skills are impressive! Some things that are curious is why did you remove the h22? Do you still have your lsd trans mated on the f? Are you building the h?

Comment

i like how your engine bay is so clean for an old car. i want to get mine running like mint soon - will have to get it ready for emissions soon.

94 Accord Wagon EX-R/H22A 5 speed
              91 Accord Wagon EX-R/ F22A6 5 speed
              93 Accord Wagon EX/ F22A4
              91 Accord Sedan EX/ F22A4 5 speed
              94 Accord Sedan EX-R/ F22b1 5 speed
              94 Accord Sedan EX-R/ F22b1

Comment

very impressive.

the cleanliness of this car inside and out and under the hood speaks volumes.

there's nothing better than buying the fogs new.

you have to post some pics of your polished buttons, lol.

i even like the speaker box, it looks so tough.

real nice man. later.
                Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Wow! High praise from respected people!

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
                  Wow never replied to this thread but your details and skills are impressive! Some things that are curious is why did you remove the h22? Do you still have your lsd trans mated on the f? Are you building the h?
                  Thanks dude, I was blessed with a pretty good specimen of a CB, so a lot of the details kinda took care of themselves.

As for the H22, it went into a project CRX that my friend and I were working on. Here's a link, if you want to check it out. The M2B4 also went with the H22 to the EF.

The H22 certainly wasn't "built" back when I had it in the CB, but I did have the 262 cams listed in my mods list. I'd love to work further on an H, especially with the F22 crank and rods swap, but at the moment I'm more likely to replace bushings or add sound deadening to the CB.

Originally posted by naphta91 View Post
                  i like how your engine bay is so clean for an old car. i want to get mine running like mint soon - will have to get it ready for emissions soon.
                  hahah ever since swapping the beautiful H out for the measly F, I figured the least I could do was to keep the F clean.
                  Just keep plugging away at the problems and pretty soon you'll be left only with preventive maintenance and detailing. Good luck with it!

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                  very impressive.

the cleanliness of this car inside and out and under the hood speaks volumes.

there's nothing better than buying the fogs new.

you have to post some pics of your polished buttons, lol.

i even like the speaker box, it looks so tough.

real nice man. later.
                  Again, high praise from arguably the cleanest car on the board. I'm honored.
                  Yeah, buying the fogs new was awesome. I ended up paying a pretty penny for 'em, (230-ish, I believe) but I'm obviously very pleased.

I will snap a picture of the polished buttons tomorrow. It's such a mild but classy touch, I really appreciate the inspiration

I don't remember if I've posted this somewhere here, but the box actually fell into my hands. A good friend of mine purchased a full audio system online and we installed it together. When he realized that the twin sub box was larger than he wanted, we ended up doing a straight trade, his box loaded with 2 W1s for my identical one-sub box with a single W1. Trunk space suffers, but I like the look.

_____

Passing thoughts of recent days:

I've been wondering about dropping in another H22. Inasmuch as the feel and sound of VTEC is intoxicating, I like the honest reliability of the F. Furthermore, the MPG that F provides, as well as not having to pay for premium fuel, makes me want to hold on to the SOHC work horse.

Speaking of MPG, I made a pretty cautious run to San Diego yesterday, mostly going 55-60. Despite a couple brief bouts with traffic, I managed 47.9 mpg. Granted this was very mileage-specific driving, I'm still extremely pleased with how efficiently the F22 propels the CB.

Also, I really need to get on this projector retrofit project. Two family projects are pretty much done, so with a week left on Winter vacation, assuming limited distractions, the projectors should be squared away this time next week. Many pictures to come.

Comment

Very interesting, I went page by page on your crx build. Very impressed x2 lol.

I can see why you miss the h, but your f mpg is extremely envious lol. What size plugs did you go with on the egr ports on the intake manifold.

Comment

Just like wed3k recommended, I used 6 1/2"-20 plugs for the top 6 holes, and then a 3/4"-20 plug on the end port. Are you thinking of cleaning your ports?

Comment

Water pump took a crap last weekend. Or at least it was in the process of crapping.

There was a horrible grinding sound from under the lower timing belt cover. Needless to say, I was very relieved when it turned out to only be the pump, rather than something more internal. So, I took the chance to replace the timing belt, balance shaft belt, water pump, and various seals. The existing set only had 45k miles of wear, but I figured I might as well go the nine yards while I still had the covers off. The whole process took 6 minutes over 2 hours, thanks to some recent experience dealing with my friend's 6th gen t-belt.

Sick of tailgaters' blinding headlights in my wing mirrors, I applied some tint film (35%) to the driver's side mirror. So far it seems to be working pretty well. Even though its just one layer, light has to pass through it twice, so its effectively a double layer. I'm pleased with the results, although its a little hard to back into dark parking spots at night.

Continuing with the diary entry, I can already smell the emissions from a dying cat. I got a good 6 months out of it.

So, within the next year, I'll be looking to get either a new cat straight from Honda, or a used stock one from another CB. If I buy a new one from Honda, I'm going to be tempted to look for a larger diameter cat from a Prelude or the like. I don't like the thought of being restricted to an Accord sized cat for the rest of the life of the car, especially if another H22 swap comes around.

Otherwise, nothing much has changed. I'm on the doorstep of 200k miles, the axles (I'm assuming) are still causing ground shattering vibration between 55-60 mph, my bushings are destroyed, and I wouldn't be surprised if my ball joints are equally worthless. I have the spring rate of Neuspeed Race springs with the ride height of Neuspeed Sport springs, and miles of steering slop.

But I still freaking love the car.

just so the post isn't completely boring,

Comment

i love how clean your car is man especially the headlight retro
                          Click Here To Check Out My Ride
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=137030

Comment

Thank you sir!

Gawd I wanna go lower. Debating on switching the AGXs for STR.Ts or just getting coilover sleeves.

Comment

fffffffuuuuuuhhhhhhhh......

I miss this car.

Comment

It's in good hands

Comment

Working...
                                X