Am I missing anything for this build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I missing anything for this build?

Hey everyone, I currently own a 92 Frost White CB7 Coupe, Ive had it for 5 or 6 years now and have slowly done small mods like I/H/E, lowering springs and shocks. Also about 2 years ago I did the JDM F22B DOHC swap and it runs like a champ with a chipped P28 ECU tuned on Chrome. Car made about 158HP to the wheels on the dyno which isn't bad. After the swap I instantly wanted more power! Looked into the H22A swap, but did not want NA. Instead I wanted to boost the my current engine. Reading a lot through here I know stock internals are horrible for reliability, which is currently the most I would like to retain from my car. It has never left me stranded in 6 years (fingers crossed).

So currently i want to shoot for 300+ hp and here is the list of mods that I have bought and plan to buy in the next coming weeks.

PARTS BOUGHT LIST:
    86mm Bisimoto Forge Pistons/Rod 9:1 - PURCHASED
    Bored/Honed & Stripped F22 Block -COMPLETED
    KStuned Balance Shaft Eliminator Kit - PURCHASED
    New OE Polished Crankshaft - PURCHASED
    New OE Main/Rod/Thrust Bearings - PURCHASED
    New OE Water Pump -PURCHASED
    Gates T132 Timing Belt - PURCHASED
    ARP Head Studs - PURCHASED
    ARP Main Studs - PURCHASED
    ARP Flywheel/Pressure Plate Bolts - PURCHASED
    New OE Timing Tensioners - PURCHASED
    New OE Head Gasket - PURCHASED
    New OE Oil Pan w/ Gasket - PURCHASED
    OBX Ramhorn Manifold "Reinforced" - PURCHASED
    Rebuilt Holset HY35 (0 Miles!) - PURCHASED
    H23 TB & Plenum - PURCHASED
    HKS SSQ Bluff Off Valve - PURCHASED
    Black Top DSM 450CC Injectors - PURCHASED
    AEM AFR Gauge - PURCHASED
    Fidanza 8LB Lightweight Flywheel - PURCHASED
    Competition Stage 3 Full Face/Sprung Hub Clutch/Pressure Plate - Looking to keep a somewhat soft pedal for DD - PURCHASED
    Innovative Solid Engine Mounts - PURCHASED
    92 Civic Half Rad - PURCHASED
    New OE Civic Rad Fan - PURCHASED
    SuperTech Intake/Exhaust Valve Seals - PURCHASED
    SuperTech Block Guard - PURCHASED
    New OE Oil Pan & Gasket - PURCHASED

WORKING ON BUYING IN THE NEXT COMING WEEKS:

Innovative Traction Bar - Going to need this since the turbo has a 3in exhaust
    Intercooler - Thinking an "eBay" kit to save money since its not a vital component. Any recommendation on sizing or thoughts?
    AEM Gauges - Boost & Oil Pressure
    Walbro 255LPH Pump - I am thinking internal. Would external be any better or added benefit ?
    Boost Controller - Thinking maybe this one: http://www.titanmotorsports.com/fomounboco.html They are close and reputable so I think that will work. They also have a cheaper $45 one that is not ratcheting style.
    Turbosmartl 38mm Wastegate w/ 15lb spring - Found this on craigslist recently and plan on buying this week for $125
    Omni 4 Bar Map Sensor - Idk if I really need this? When is this necessary?
    SS Lines & AN Fittings

Again this build already has started and I have done a lot of research on parts and what does and doesn't work. Any constructive criticism on the build is welcome. The way i plan on doing this is dropping in the fully built bottom end with the new clutch and breaking that in for about 500-1000 miles and then installing the turbo components. The reason I am doing this is just because I can see if there is any oil leaks before adding the turbo. Plus it lets me save some money to buy any other missing parts before adding the turbo. If there is anything you guys think i should look into, for example, a Greddy Turbo Timer then please shoot the idea my way as this is the first build I have done.

Thanks again and sorry if this is in the wrong spot lol I felt like this could fall in multiple categories.

Also Ill add pictures of the car as it currently is later on this week and some of the parts
    Last edited by ErMMaC; 11-03-2015, 10:03 PM.

Everything looks great , just get rid of the eBay radiator and intercooler. Turbo creates a lot of heat under the hood. You don't want to spend all that money to have a blown head gasket and warped head, just to save a few bucks on a radiator.

MRThttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=84102 93se h22/t2t4

Comment

Originally posted by ErMMaC View Post
      PARTS BOUGHT LIST:
      86mm Bisimoto Forge Pistons/Rod 9:1 - PURCHASED
      Bored/Honed & Stripped F22 Block -COMPLETED
      KStuned Balance Shaft Eliminator Kit - PURCHASED
      OE Polished Crankshaft - PURCHASED
      OE Main/Rod/Thrust Bearings - PURCHASED
      OE Water Pump -PURCHASED
      Gates T132 Timing Belt - PURCHASED
      ARP Head Studs - PURCHASED
      ARP Main Studs - PURCHASED
      ARP Flywheel/Pressure Plate Bolts - PURCHASED
      OE Timing Tensioners - PURCHASED
      OE Head Gasket - PURCHASED
      OE Oil Pan w/ Gasket - PURCHASED
      OBX Ramhorn Manifold "Reinforced" - PURCHASED
      Turbonetics T3 Turbo (looking for bigger T3/T4 currently) - PURCHASED
      H23 TB & Plenum - PURCHASED
      HKS SSQ Bluff Off Valve - PURCHASED
      Black Top DSM 450CC Injectors - PURCHASED
      AEM AFR Gauge - PURCHASED

WORKING ON BUYING IN THE NEXT COMING WEEKS:
      Competition Stage 4 Sprung Hub Clutch/Pressure Plate - Looking to keep a somewhat soft pedal for DD
      Fidanza 8LB Lightweight Flywheel (not really needed)
      Solid Engine Mounts - Not sure on brand yet. Suggestions would help (ESP, Innovative)
      Intercooler - Thinking an "eBay" kit to save money since its not a vital component. Any recommendation on sizing or thoughts? (Never go ebay on any turbo parts)
      AEM Gauges - Boost & Oil Pressure
      Walbro 255LPH Pump - I am thinking internal. Would external be any better or added benefit ? (No benefit. Use internal as it works beetter with the sock and setup. Any plans to go over 500HP I would get a 320LPH+)
      Boost Controller - Not sure if this is really necessary if I do not plan on changing the boost that often. (To my knowledge you will still need this even with one boost setting)
      Till 38mm Wastegate w/ spring (make sure the WG will bolt up to the manifold and is proper size fitting)
      92 Civic Half Rad - Again thinking maybe an "eBay" kit? Any recommendations welcome (No ebay. Use a mishimoto with slim fan)
      LX/DX Rear Engine Mount Bracket - Cant seem to find this online anywhere to purchase so I may just got to the junkyard and hope its there.
      Omni 4 Bar Map Sensor - Idk if I really need this? When is this necessary? (3bar+ map sensor is required)
      SS Lines & AN Fittings

My other suggestions and requirements:

- S300 v2 , etc. to support features you want (boost by gear, turbo timing, sensors, etc.)
      - If you are going to go with 3" piping/exhaust you may need to ditch the front lower subframe and replace it with a traction bar setup. With the H22 there is not enough room for a 3" pipe to fit
      - Get a new oil pump. This is a must. I went with a Endyne oil pump
      - Get a new throw out bearing for the transmission
      - Catch can setup?

And remember things will pop up that you never thought of before. Things to buy, items to fix, etc. Do you want to keep power steering? Do you want to keep A/C? Do you have fog lights? These decisions will impact the turbo design and setup.

That's all i can think of for now. Glad to see you are doing your homework first. When I rebuild my engine/tranny for the turbo I drove it for a whole summer before putting the turbo on. Sucked driving a 125HP H22 for a while :P

Comment

If your looking for 300+ whp I would go bigger then DSM 450cc and look into 800. I believe these injectors will max out at 350, I have a mishimoto intercooler for sale its the g-line series, this would work well with your set-up. PM if your interested. As for intercooler piping and couplers I would recommend getting t-clamps and not those flat head clamps.

Like Raf said, traction bars make a world of difference when trying to fit a down pipe. I would also buy new valve stem seals for the head. Its not required but if your replacing everything any ways, it will give piece at mind. You can purchase those here. http://www.ipg-supertech.com/Superte...6a1-D16a9.html

I am assuming you are getting the SS lines and AN fittings for the oil line kit as well.
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
          My other suggestions and requirements:

- S300 v2 , etc. to support features you want (boost by gear, turbo timing, sensors, etc.)
          - If you are going to go with 3" piping/exhaust you may need to ditch the front lower subframe and replace it with a traction bar setup. With the H22 there is not enough room for a 3" pipe to fit
          - Get a new oil pump. This is a must. I went with a Endyne oil pump
          - Get a new throw out bearing for the transmission
          - Catch can setup?

And remember things will pop up that you never thought of before. Things to buy, items to fix, etc. Do you want to keep power steering? Do you want to keep A/C? Do you have fog lights? These decisions will impact the turbo design and setup.

That's all i can think of for now. Glad to see you are doing your homework first. When I rebuild my engine/tranny for the turbo I drove it for a whole summer before putting the turbo on. Sucked driving a 125HP H22 for a while :P
          Definitely appreciate all the feedback and comments! Ill look into what you recommended. As far as exhaust goes, I was thinking 2.5in since everything from the Catback is 2.5in. Do you think that would still be okay?

As far as the oil pump I fixed my original post because it is all new OEM parts, nothing used for the build.

Currently I do have foglight and a non-working A/C due to a leak so I am still debating if to remove it our not. I would still like to keep my powersteering just because I DD this around all over the place lol

Also the flywheel, would it be a bad idea to do the 8LB flywheel? Even though you said its not really needed
          Last edited by ErMMaC; 10-05-2015, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
            If your looking for 300+ whp I would go bigger then DSM 450cc and look into 800. I believe these injectors will max out at 350, I have a mishimoto intercooler for sale its the g-line series, this would work well with your set-up. PM if your interested. As for intercooler piping and couplers I would recommend getting t-clamps and not those flat head clamps.

Like Raf said, traction bars make a world of difference when trying to fit a down pipe. I would also buy new valve stem seals for the head. Its not required but if your replacing everything any ways, it will give piece at mind. You can purchase those here. http://www.ipg-supertech.com/Superte...6a1-D16a9.html

I am assuming you are getting the SS lines and AN fittings for the oil line kit as well.
            Yeah currently using the DSM injectors just because I had them from when I was a DSM guy. Pretty convenient that they fit . Ill definitely look into the injectors and seeing if my goals will be over their limit. Although running 450CC at 98% duty cycle or something probably isn't the best idea now that I think about it

The valve seals I have thought about because I currently have some smoke on start up. I can't seem to determine if its a valve seal or a 200k mile bottom end that I have beat to where its now bypassing oil some how

Only reason I am hesitant on doing it is because I will be doing this at the shop that I work at and would only have from Friday after work till Sunday night essentially to rip out my bottom end and put on the new one. Which isn't too bad to do at a shop because of the lift and all the air tools and convenience.

Ill definitely double think this valve seal thing!

Comment

Few things that came up. I talked with someone named "Kevin" over at Innovative mounts, super useful and nice. He answered all my questions and I feel confident buying an engine mount kit from them which he will make possible for me to buy the taller rear engine mount so I do not have to change mine to the LX/DX mount Currently the kit is not on the site but he said he will make it available sometime this week.

Another thing, has anyone ever used AEM Tru-Boost gauge? It is a boost gauge with a boost controller integrated. Read some review that were pretty old just wanted to know if anyone here had first hand experience.
              Here is what I speak of: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-4350

Last thing, does anyone know a well known brand kit of AN Fittings and Braided lines? Looking for something universal that I can make work. Or even a site that will sell the lines by the foot and fittings seperate. Google is broken for me

Comment

bisimoto piston/rods with upgraded wrist pins(750)---have
                bisimoto valve springs(150)---have
                darton mid sleeves(700)--have
                t-belt gates racing 110--have
                arp main studs(40)---have
                IC greddy---200--have
                gram injectors 1000cc(400)--have
                Aem fpr(100)--have
                Aem fuel rail(100)---have
                Arp headstuds 145--have
                KS balance shaft eliminator kit with oil pump--have
                machine cost/new bearings--3500
                clutchmasters fx400--have
                clutchmasters flywheel--have
                new harmonic balancer -- have
                Garrett gtx2863--have
                92-96 prelude traction bar--have
                Mfactory LSD--have
                OBX new style ram manifold--have
                fuel pump 45--255 in tank walbro--have
                gasket set 280--have
                HKS bov--have
                38mm wastegate---have
                aem oil temp gauge--have
                aem afr gauge--have
                aem boost gauge---have
                .5mm oversized valves---have
                bisi 1.2 turbo cam--400--have
                bisi cam gear--170---have
                head gasket either bisimoto or cometic--110---have
                heat shielding intake gasket---have
                piping 400
                downpipe
                hondata with omni 3 bar map 700--phearable.net

thats my list for my turbo build

Comment

Few things that came up. I talked with someone named "Kevin" over at Innovative mounts, super useful and nice. He answered all my questions and I feel confident buying an engine mount kit from them which he will make possible for me to buy the taller rear engine mount so I do not have to change mine to the LX/DX mount Currently the kit is not on the site but he said he will make it available sometime this week.

Another thing, has anyone ever used AEM Tru-Boost gauge? It is a boost gauge with a boost controller integrated. Read some review that were pretty old just wanted to know if anyone here had first hand experience.

Last thing, does anyone know a well known brand kit of AN Fittings and Braided lines? Looking for something universal that I can make work. Or even a site that will sell the lines by the foot and fittings seperate. Google is broken for me
                  I've used summit racing for an fittings, fast shippers.
                  ~Nick~
                  FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                  MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

This is the A/F gauge I use currently. Works fine. I used www.turboneticsinc.com for most of my lines, fittings, etc. I bought my turbo inlet and outlet feeds from there as well as AN fittings.

As for your other questions:
                    - 2.5" exhaust will be be fine, but what size is the exhaust coming off the turbo? If its 3" then you may as well go full 3".
                    - I would agree with larger injectors and was going to mention it but didn't

You will be modifying the front bumper ALOT to fit the intercooler in there. So you'll probably have to lose the fog lights. Also depending if you are using a top mount or bottom mount manifold you will have the compressor side of the turbo facing right or left. Figure this out now so you know ahead of time. This will help with the placement of the WG and if you can keep PS, AC, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                      I've used summit racing for an fittings, fast shippers.
                      Yeah I think what I will do is use Summit for the more specific fittings and sizing since they do have a lot of options. Have you or anyone else used a CXracing turbo line kit? As in its braided lines so I do not see how they could really mess that up. Something like this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/180788134326...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                      This is the A/F gauge I use currently. Works fine. I used www.turboneticsinc.com for most of my lines, fittings, etc. I bought my turbo inlet and outlet feeds from there as well as AN fittings.

As for your other questions:
                      - 2.5" exhaust will be be fine, but what size is the exhaust coming off the turbo? If its 3" then you may as well go full 3".
                      - I would agree with larger injectors and was going to mention it but didn't

You will be modifying the front bumper ALOT to fit the intercooler in there. So you'll probably have to lose the fog lights. Also depending if you are using a top mount or bottom mount manifold you will have the compressor side of the turbo facing right or left. Figure this out now so you know ahead of time. This will help with the placement of the WG and if you can keep PS, AC, etc.
                      I have to double check my turbo to see the exhaust sizing on it. Reason I wanted 2.5in is just because the rest of the exhaust is

Also do you guys think I should replace the Master/Slave Cylinders? As in currently none of them leak, but I know its recommended to change at least the slave when changing the clutch. If so would AutoZone be suffice for those parts? Honda wants close to $200 after shipping for those two parts alone!

Thanks again for everyone and their feedback!
                      Last edited by ErMMaC; 10-08-2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 93redcb7 View Post
                        bisimoto piston/rods with upgraded wrist pins(750)---have
                        bisimoto valve springs(150)---have
                        darton mid sleeves(700)--have
                        t-belt gates racing 110--have
                        arp main studs(40)---have
                        IC greddy---200--have
                        gram injectors 1000cc(400)--have
                        Aem fpr(100)--have
                        Aem fuel rail(100)---have
                        Arp headstuds 145--have
                        KS balance shaft eliminator kit with oil pump--have
                        machine cost/new bearings--3500
                        clutchmasters fx400--have
                        clutchmasters flywheel--have
                        new harmonic balancer -- have
                        Garrett gtx2863--have
                        92-96 prelude traction bar--have
                        Mfactory LSD--have
                        OBX new style ram manifold--have
                        fuel pump 45--255 in tank walbro--have
                        gasket set 280--have
                        HKS bov--have
                        38mm wastegate---have
                        aem oil temp gauge--have
                        aem afr gauge--have
                        aem boost gauge---have
                        .5mm oversized valves---have
                        bisi 1.2 turbo cam--400--have
                        bisi cam gear--170---have
                        head gasket either bisimoto or cometic--110---have
                        heat shielding intake gasket---have
                        piping 400
                        downpipe
                        hondata with omni 3 bar map 700--phearable.net

thats my list for my turbo build
                        Thats like a 400HP built closet When do you plan on assembling it and giving it a try?

Comment

Thats like a 400HP built closet When do you plan on assembling it and giving it a try?
                          well i only have a few more things to get, just waiting on the funds, but yes im shooting for 400whp.. its built for 800(well thats what the rods/pistons are rated for.. and MID sleeves are good for way above that)

Comment

SOOOoo I was not planning on doing any headwork and still don't technically, but I will be replacing the valve seals just because I will be mad if it smokes because of them. I thought I would then just upgrade the springs to H23 Dual Valve Springs with Titanium Retainers. I don't plan on doing cams anytime soon as that is like another $500 so I rather not. Plus this is a build for the street and don't think it is necessary. My question is should I replace the guides? and do F22A SOHC retainers fit the F22B DOHC? Which is similar to the H23 at this point.

Thanks again

Comment

SOOOoo I was not planning on doing any headwork and still don't technically, but I will be replacing the valve seals just because I will be mad if it smokes because of them. I thought I would then just upgrade the springs to H23 Dual Valve Springs with Titanium Retainers. I don't plan on doing cams anytime soon as that is like another $500 so I rather not. Plus this is a build for the street and don't think it is necessary. My question is should I replace the guides? and do F22A SOHC retainers fit the F22B DOHC? Which is similar to the H23 at this point.

Thanks again
                              You'll want to start comparing part numbers at this point from sites that list them with diagrams.

Comment

Working...
                              X