CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 03-24-2020, 10:56 PM   #1
Javier395
Newcomer

Javier395 is cool... so far.
F22A1 unusual valve train knock or noise

Hope yall doing well during this Covid9 pandemic, please take all precautions necessary.

Alright well jumping right onto subject, the new rebuilt head has been performing good, car runs well, but there is some valve train noise or lets say rapid and continous knock while accelrating specially under load (Nope dont worry, it is not rod knock lol). I have adjusted valves twice, noise still persists, gets louder when engine gets hot. I will attach a link to a video I uploaded.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

https://youtu.be/Ior8fRlgSDI
Javier395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Check for loose rotating parts outside the engine... distributor, accessories, crank pulley... rule out anything external.

Have you done a compression test to ensure everything is healthy?

Finally, make sure your spark plugs are all properly tightened. I had a plug that was backing out on my H22a, and it sounded like a bad knock.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #3
Javier395
Newcomer

yup, all of those check out just fine, I just reinstalled some new plugs and they are torqued down well, alternator snug, all the external accessories tight, and im pretty sure the noise is coming from the valve train.

compression is great, 175-190 across all cylinders.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:52 PM   #4
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
The clattering noise is the valves/rockers; the knocking is something else. Did you install the cam holders, or a shop? Make sure the holders are torqued correctly (ideally they should have been torqued with the valve adjusters backed off) . Also check the cam pulley bolt; I left one loose once, but I don't remember if that was the noise it made - it wound up ruining the key slot in the cam and pulley if I remember correctly.

INVENTORY REDUCTION! LOTS of CB7 parts - you need it? you can have it. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right

Last edited by fleetw00d; 03-25-2020 at 11:59 PM.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:34 PM   #5
Javier395
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
The clattering noise is the valves/rockers; the knocking is something else. Did you install the cam holders, or a shop? Make sure the holders are torqued correctly (ideally they should have been torqued with the valve adjusters backed off) . Also check the cam pulley bolt; I left one loose once, but I don't remember if that was the noise it made - it wound up ruining the key slot in the cam and pulley if I remember correctly.
Actually the shop did, and I backed them out to torque them again, but that was when the valve lash was super off. Maybe I should just take everything out again and start from scratch. One thing I am sure of is the cam pulley bolt is well tightened, and the sound comes from cyl 3 cyl 4 area.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: