Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

93 Accord race car Build/Questions thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As it sits in my garage:

Just a couple highlights from the weekend..
    I took it for a test drive around the block and there was a bad wobble in the front, I'm suspecting bad CV joints + bad wheel bearing. So I tried to remove the CV. To do that you need to remove the axle nut here:

This bitch was so tight it broke my 1/2" drive extension.

Okay let's bring out the big guns.
    Big Ass 3/4" drive ratchet and fat 36mm socket, with a 4 foot cheater pipe.

My 170lb ass had to jump up and down on the cheater bar and it finally broke the nut, but it bent the 3/4" ratchet in the process. Unbelievable.

I pulled the CV's and the inner joints are pretty loose. I'm getting 2 new EMPI shafts for $60 each shipped from RockAuto.

Balance shafts..
    When I did the timing belt 4 years ago I just left the balance shaft belt off completely.
    So now I'm replacing the timing belt again and I noticed the balance shaft pulley is still on the crank and it's pretty beefy--but it's not actually turning anything anymore.

Why not just get rid of it? Well the pulley still needs to fit on the end of the crankshaft so the sepentine belt pulleys can line up, so a spacer might work.

I don't really have the ability to machine a nice aluminium spacer, but I can lighten this pulley but cutting off the gear and turn it into a makeshift spacer

There we go, I just took out my sawzall and cut the little spokes and removed the gear part. Then I ground the nubs that were left nice and flat. It's about 1/2 the weight and the weight removed is at the outer edge of the rotating mass so that will give me at least 15 more horsepower

Comment

Here's my TODO list for the next 2 weekends.. The track day is 3 weeks away!
      • fill trans with Redline MT90
      • install timing belt
      • new fuel filter
      • install spark plugs 2 heat ranges colder NGK
      • final flush coolant
      • bleed brakes one more time, LF caliper was leaking--check RF caliper
      • alignment FRONT 0 toe 2.0-2.5 camber max even caster REAR 0 toe 2.0 camber?
      • install new CVs
      • Press new front wheel bearings on hubs and install
      • install front and left motormounts once urethane hardens
      • fill rear and right motormounts with urethane
      • install intake
      • get pad for seat
      • pull fender
      • battery hold down
      • remove hood lights
      • adjust valves http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2477017

Comment

Over the past few years I stumbled upon this thread a couple times. I'm really glad you came back to update! Seriously cool thread!

Comment

Thanks I really like this forum. Over the past month I've been putting a lot of work and research into this car and every time I google a question about CB7's, this forum comes up and it's always good info.

There's a ton of people here that know their shizz

With help for you guys I'm hoping to get ~150-160 crank hp RELIABLY, get the suspension dialed in, and be a real competitive team this year

Comment

Awesome stuff in here! I love following the LeMons coverage and have had friends that do it, they absolutely love it. I'd love to get into it, especially in an Accord. I forget the name of the team that runs a 5th gen Accord Coupe, something Danger, but one of them sometimes posts on the Grassroots Motorsports forum. Anyway, good to see an Accord in the series!

For a trick to gain camber, 88-91 Civic upper front control arms can be used.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

Do I want to gain camber? What's a good alignment setting to start with for the track?

Comment

I know I'm about -2 deg up front, and maybe -1.5 in the rear. I autocross, but I roll on my sidewalls HARD on the front(225/50/16 BFG G-force Sport Comp-2's on a 16x7). I'd say -3 degrees or so. I've heard of a lot of road racers liking a very, very, very slight toe in for a bit more stability at speed. Caster but a bit more should help the camber situation out as the suspension compresses. In the rear, I'm pretty content with where the camber and toe is, but then again, I'm just guessing what I'm at based off of previous experiences in the alignment area. My car's never been on a rack, so it's hard to say.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

I got these new CVs in and I'm going to install tomorow, but I don't have ABS. Will they still work??

Last edited by aventari; 01-16-2015, 07:27 PM.

Comment

I'm assuming the ABS ring will not interfere with anything and the rest of the half shaft is identical, just wanted to make sure before I install them and it turns out that i'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by aventari View Post
                      I got these new CVs in and I'm going to install tomorow, but I don't have ABS. Will they still work??

Yep they sure will. Your in business! All my CV shafts have had ABS's rings and none of my cars have had ABS.

Comment

Great! good news thanks

Tomorrow I'll be installing them, pressing new wheel bearings in the hubs and installing those and then filling the transmission with 2 quarts of Redline MT90.

Then I'm going to install a new timing belt, adjust the valves and install the new NGK plugs (2 heat ranges colder) and go for a test drive

Since I work at GoPro I'm going to get some nice in car video this weekend

Comment

So tell me, is Lemons tech a bitch? Which race do you enter and in what region? Are you allowed to compete in more than one race in more than one region? If you do do you have to pay the $600 for each race or is that the fee for the whole season?

I know your not an official just seeing what info I can get. Reason being is this looks fun as hell. My car is junk and I'm getting a replacement Accord here soon. The car in my sig is not worth fixing but would still make a great Lemons car.

Also, do you have any good pics of the "boxes" where the roll cages are welded in? I'm interested in knowing what you did for a proper cage install.

Comment

Originally posted by aventari View Post
                            Great! good news thanks

Tomorrow I'll be installing them, pressing new wheel bearings in the hubs and installing those and then filling the transmission with 2 quarts of Redline MT90.

Then I'm going to install a new timing belt, adjust the valves and install the new NGK plugs (2 heat ranges colder) and go for a test drive

Since I work at GoPro I'm going to get some nice in car video this weekend
                            No way. That's awesome! I've been meaning to get one for a while. I do a lot of ATV riding and been wanting one for that purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                              So tell me, is Lemons tech a bitch? Which race do you enter and in what region? Are you allowed to compete in more than one race in more than one region? If you do do you have to pay the $600 for each race or is that the fee for the whole season?

I know your not an official just seeing what info I can get. Reason being is this looks fun as hell. My car is junk and I'm getting a replacement Accord here soon. The car in my sig is not worth fixing but would still make a great Lemons car.

Also, do you have any good pics of the "boxes" where the roll cages are welded in? I'm interested in knowing what you did for a proper cage install.

The tech isn't too bad if you read all of the rules and are very careful about following their guidelines. Also when you come up with specific questions, people are really responsive on the Lemons forums so you should be able to iron it out beforehand and not need to fail at the actual race

You should totally do it with your Accord, it's pretty much my favorite thing I do now! First try to hook up with a team and go to a race near you and see what it's all about. Or just go on your own and check it out and talk to people, everyone it _super_ friendly becuase it's not hyper-competitive

You can race in as many races as you want a year in any regions, I usually do about 2 races a year at Buttonwillow and Sonoma Raceway (Sears Point) . I'm in San Diego so I do all the SoCal ones. You have to pay for each race, so $600 each race, then $150 for each driver (minmum 4 drivers)

I'll grab some cage pics now
                              Last edited by aventari; 01-19-2015, 02:16 AM.

Comment

I have read through this several times and it doesn't sound too hard to follow the rules. https://www.24hoursoflemons.com/prices-rules

And thanks in advance for the cage pics.

Comment

Working...
                                X