Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt tensioner and lower timing cover

I did my timing belt a few weeks back.
    I cranked the entire assembly towards the front, then tightened the tensioner bolt.
    I'm not almost 1000 miles into it. Should I loosen that bolt, turn the engine, then re tighten it?

Also, my lower timing cover is destroyed.
    Both belts have cut into it to where I can actually see the tensioners, and the crank pulley is wearing into it.
    I know this is a problem for this engine, but is there anything I can do to prevent it on the new cover?
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
    I did my timing belt a few weeks back.
    I cranked the entire assembly towards the front, then tightened the tensioner bolt.
    I'm not almost 1000 miles into it. Should I loosen that bolt, turn the engine, then re tighten it?
    This was covered in another recent thread... the one right below this one as I'm posting.
    There is no point in retensioning the belt unless you didn't do it properly the first time, most especially after such low mileage. As was discussed, the belts are design not to stretch.

No idea on the timing cover. The only thing I can think is that oil and/or heat causes the plastic to fail and is not suitable for extended use, meaning this is a design flaw. I've never heard of this being a design flaw as such, but rather that the covers are not properly reinstalled causing the issue.

Comment

I guess that's what I get for not reading the whole thing.
      I thought it was about hydraulic tensioners on an H22!

Hmm. I guess I'll just order a new cover. It came off like that. The last timing belt job I did was a few years ago.
      I never noticed any weird wear on my belts until I changed them (They were old and brittle). Ever since then the new ones have been eating through the cover.
      It's not only the belts fault though, the balancer is dong the same thing, and I didn't touch that until timing belt time.
      MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I guess that's what I get for not reading the whole thing.
        I thought it was about hydraulic tensioners on an H22!
        Ah, good point I suppose, though the search is agnostic to titles (if you tell it to be)!

Hmm. I guess I'll just order a new cover. It came off like that. The last timing belt job I did was a few years ago.
        I never noticed any weird wear on my belts until I changed them (They were old and brittle). Ever since then the new ones have been eating through the cover.
        It's not only the belts fault though, the balancer is dong the same thing, and I didn't touch that until timing belt time.
        Honestly, it sounds like it was reinstalled improperly, either because it was damaged during removal, or simply by mistake.

Comment

When doing the lower timing cover, what is the correct way to install it?
          I thought you just put the gasket back on, and did the couple of bolts around the edge.
          MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

its a bitch to put in all the bolts around the perimeter of the cover, some mechanics are just lazy or rushed and usually don't re-install the tough ones. So the cover gets chewed up because its loose. Thank the previous timing belt replacer.
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Yeah. My lower timing cover looked the same. Like the belts had worn a hole in it. It seemed like all the bolts were on.
              So I was at a loss as to why it looked like that

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                its a bitch to put in all the bolts around the perimeter of the cover, some mechanics are just lazy or rushed and usually don't re-install the tough ones. So the cover gets chewed up because its loose. Thank the previous timing belt replacer.
                It's not because of the bolts.
                Its because of the rubber ring on the tensioner bolt that no-one refits.

Fit a new ring and it will fix it.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                  It's not because of the bolts.
                  Its because of the rubber ring on the tensioner bolt that no-one refits.

Fit a new ring and it will fix it.
                  I think we have a winner. It seemed like there should've been a washer on that.
                  I need a new one anyways. When I order the cover and bolt I'll get the rubber ring too.
                  MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I think we have a winner. It seemed like there should've been a washer on that.
                    I need a new one anyways. When I order the cover and bolt I'll get the rubber ring too.
                    If you can't get the rubber ring, then ask for the dipstick tube O-ring.
                    It's not as good as the proper flat ring but fits better than having nothing.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I assume this Rubber thing goes on the 14mm nut you use to release the tension?
                      Anybody have an aftermarket part number?

steve

Comment

http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/...n=&b=E++11&dl=

27 -- 90401-PT0-000 -- Rubber, Timing Belt Adjuster

It is the rubber, for the timing belt adjuster.
                        Last edited by reklipz; 12-12-2012, 10:29 PM.

Comment

If you can't get the rubber ring, then ask for the dipstick tube O-ring.
                          It's not as good as the proper flat ring but fits better than having nothing.
                          I couldn't get the dipstick o ring. It came as a surprise to me when it was included in the balance shaft seal and retainer kit.
                          MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I couldn't get the dipstick o ring. It came as a surprise to me when it was included in the balance shaft seal and retainer kit.
                            Seriously, The Irony . . .
                            I WAS going to suggest that first (because I KNOW the retainer kit comes with one) but figured that you (and anyone else) would have used it already for the dipstick . . .

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Seriously, The Irony . . .
                              I WAS going to suggest that first (because I KNOW the retainer kit comes with one) but figured that you (and anyone else) would have used it already for the dipstick . . .
                              I'll look around the garage. Maybe I kept the old dipstick washer. Even if it doesn't seal properly it should still hold back the new cover.
                              MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
                              X